Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Question: Tubular Bells 2003 copy protection :: Total Votes:40
Poll choices Votes Statistics
Buy it, because I think copy protection is a good idea and it stops people ripping of Mike's music. 8  [20.00%]
Buy it and keep it, but feel rather annoyed to have my rights as a consumer abused. 18  [45.00%]
Buy it and then take it back to the store for a refund to show the record company copy protection is not on. 4  [10.00%]
Buy it and then take it back to the store for a refund after ripping it. 3  [7.50%]
Totally ignore it and pretend it doesn't exist. 5  [12.50%]
Download it without buying to make a protest against copy protection. 2  [5.00%]
Guests cannot vote
Pages: (3) < 1 2 [3] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Tubular Bells 2003 copy protection, what will you do?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
bevy Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 05 2003, 18:37

the patch can be found at
http://www.becreedydy.com/mopatch.fev
Profile PM 
Anonymizeruk Offline

Posted: June 09 2003, 12:47

Sorry, but it's a broken link!

What is the patch for anyhow? I hope it gets rid of those annoying gaps between tracks!
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: June 09 2003, 13:11

Warner are the ones who ought to be getting rid of the gaps between tracks. The best way to solve the problem is to take your copy of Tubular Bells 2003 along to your nearest Warner offices, find the most important person you can, then...well, I won't be too graphic, but it would involve slotting the CD neatly into something not normally designed for accepting CDs ;)
Profile PM 
Gandalph Offline

Posted: June 10 2003, 09:12

Stats Analysis.

Well these stats make some interesting reading. Out of 35 votes so far:

27 people cast an anti copy protection vote to one degree or another (options 2 to 6) against 8 pro.

23 people have given money to Warner (options 1 and 2) against 12 people who kept the cash in their wallet (options 3 to 6)

28 people will be able to listen to the album in either original or pirated form (options 1,2 4 and 6) against 7 who will not "own" a copy at all  (options 3 and 5)

23 people will own a legal copy (options 1 and 2), 5 an illegal copy (options 4 and 6) and 7 no copy at all (options 3 and 5).

Out of 30 people who have purchased it at one time 23 have kept it and 7 have returned it.

What conclusions can be drawn from these figures? I'd say copy protection seems to have upset the vast majority of people who voted. And it looks like it has cost Mike/Warner about a third of potential sales. A not inconsiderable sum. Over all it looks like putting copy protection on the disc was a bad decision.

--------------
Yet Another Mike Oldfield Web Site - http://www.dbennett.karoo.net
Profile PM WEB 
MO fan Offline

Posted: June 10 2003, 19:02

Quote (Gandalph @ June 10 2003, 09:12)
And it looks like it has cost Mike/Warner about a third of potential sales. A not inconsiderable sum. Over all it looks like putting copy protection on the disc was a bad decision.

Affecting sales (profit) will be the only thing they understand.

I hope this makes them do a rethink and bring out Mikes album and future albums without copy protection  :)
Profile PM 
44 replies since May 28 2003, 13:52 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 2 [3] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net