Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: tubular bells 2 changed my life< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
jonnyw Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 27 2005, 17:20

It changed my life. my dad played it non stop when i was a child and ive never been so emotional over one peice of music. it is the greatest album ever written/ recorded and I love it and cherish the original tape my dad rushed out to buy as soon as it was released.

It shaped my life to come.

--------------
Grand piano.
Reed and pipe organ.
Glockenspeil.
Bass guitar.
Vocal chords.
Two slightly sampled electric guitars.
The venitian effect.
Digital sound processor.
And Tubular bells.

Solo music - http://-terrapin-.bebo.com

Band music - http://www.rsimusic.com
Profile PM WEB 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Nov. 28 2005, 13:05

Yep, TBII changed my life... it introduced me to Mike.

16 albums I own and still going strong... enough said.

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
MikeAholic Offline

Posted: Nov. 28 2005, 14:32

It changed my life too, in this way that I had stopped buying LP's from Mike Oldfield for some years (having bought TB I, Crisis en QE2 some years before.

When I started buying CD's, I, on a summer day, saw TB II in the record store. I decided to buy it (just because I knew TB I and was curious if he could the trick all over again at the end of the first part of TB I). From the moment I heard the first piano tunes of TBII, I fell immediatly in love with his music all over again.

Since that time, I have been buying all of his CD's and DVD's.

--------------
I sure hope that Mike realises what joy he brings to us !
Profile PM WEB 
Salamanda Offline

Posted: Dec. 05 2005, 16:11

I have just finished watching the Edinburgh Castle concert again for about the fifth time in 2 days !!  Tubular Bells II is the album that got me into Mike back in 1992.  I can honestly say that this album changed my life aswell.

I don't think I have ever seen or heard such a pure emotional piece of music as TBII.  The Edinburgh concert makes me burst into tears every time I watch it especially during 'The Bell' and 'Tattoo'.  Mike looks SO involved in the music and the performance and he is clearly really happy and loving every minute of it.

I love every single thing Mike has ever done but TBII will always be special to me.  It kinda marked the "comeback" of Mike in the public conciousness.   Unbelievable !!!
Profile PM 
SentinelGard Offline

Posted: Feb. 02 2006, 01:53

TBII is my all time favourite aswell , can't get enough of it .

--------------
"Onwards & Upwards'"
Profile PM WEB 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Feb. 02 2006, 07:25

It's nice how I love TB2 even more these days...

It always was a great album for me, but not one of my favourites.
But after hearing so many people praising it, and it being the favourite of some dear friends, I got to love it even more.  :)

Sentinelgard: That's one very cool avatar you have there  :D

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
bonkers Offline

Posted: Mar. 14 2006, 18:08

Quote (Salamanda @ Dec. 05 2005, 16:11)
I have just finished watching the Edinburgh Castle concert again for about the fifth time in 2 days !!  Tubular Bells II is the album that got me into Mike back in 1992.  I can honestly say that this album changed my life aswell.

I don't think I have ever seen or heard such a pure emotional piece of music as TBII.  The Edinburgh concert makes me burst into tears every time I watch it especially during 'The Bell' and 'Tattoo'.  Mike looks SO involved in the music and the performance and he is clearly really happy and loving every minute of it.

I love every single thing Mike has ever done but TBII will always be special to me.  It kinda marked the "comeback" of Mike in the public conciousness.   Unbelievable !!!

reading this post has just reminded me to watch tb2 live at ec, my lifes changing still :P
Profile PM 
Marky Offline

Posted: Mar. 14 2006, 19:18

TBII has a special place for me too. I became a fan in 1984, after hearing Five Miles Out, prompted by hearing Family Man. It was the worst conceivable time. It meant having discovered musical heaven as a young boy, I had to wait 3 years for a new album (1987 Islands) and there was no concert (let alone concert tour) until 1992 - 8 years later. So my visit to Edinburgh to hear the premier was almost literally magic. And the section that most impressed me was also Maya Gold - touching, deeply moving guitar, to me sounding weaping and mournful, but also somehow at a sad peace. When you mention your brother dying, this music could say a great deal that words sometimes cannot. To me, it still has the echo of a last goodbye.
Profile PM 
RadioactiveTangerine Offline

Posted: Mar. 21 2011, 16:32

I think that TB II didn't changed my life a lot through it's probably the most played MO album. And one of the first which I will own on CD (I've bought The Complete Tubular Bells). I thought about Ommadawn or HR Deluxe but having the Complete TB trilogy was more charming and tubular for me  :D I think that Mike could name this album Digital Bells 'cause there's more electronics that guitar but if there wouldn't be guitar there TB II wouldn't TB album at all! :D The awesome power & skill of Mike & his guitars make the base for Tubular Bells ... and let it stay forever & ever & tubular  :cool:

Sorry, for reviving old thread. I'm not a necromancer ;)
Profile PM 
AUTOMATIC 18 Offline

Posted: Aug. 12 2012, 14:45

I bought this CD on August 31, 1992 the date it came out! I couldn't wait to hear it! I love it and it's a classic in it's own right even though the themes are pretty familiar! It is always a pleasure to listen to. This is the 20th Anniversary by the way!
I tracked down the LP in 2008 and it has better dynamics than the CD. It sparkles and chimes like never before!
Profile PM WEB 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Aug. 13 2012, 06:44

The concert being on television was what introduced me to Mike Oldfield's music - we bought the album the next day - and got me into music technology which is now (broadly speaking) my job.

So… yes, it pretty much changed my life.
Profile PM 
mercuryvapour Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2012, 21:11

I wouldn't say that TBII changed my life, though it probably did a bloody good job of it. In october 1992, a few weeks after "Sentinel" was released, my mother died. I was 12 at the time.

A few days later, I was taken to the town by a family friend, presumably to get me out of the house while arrangements were made. While at the town, I bought two records, one of them was the single version of "Sentinel".

While the family friend was in a shop, and I was waiting outside, a kid who couldn't have been older than 4, approached me and started saying "Where's your mam? Eh? Is she dead?".

It wasn't until about 18 years after this, I happened to listen to TBII, and the track "Altered State", with the lyrics "Where's your mummy, where's she gone?". Strange coincidence that I bought a single from the very same album minutes before the above incident!
Profile PM WEB 
31 replies since Aug. 05 2005, 20:57 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net