bonkers Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 05 2005, 20:57

has changed my life..end of story
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Aug. 05 2005, 21:48

That's a beautiful story and I hope it doesn't drive you bonkers, seriously it is up there in the top 5 and you should watch the dvd also. You can get both TBII and TBIII on dvd together, good value.
What else of Mikes do you have and love?

Cheers,
Tracy.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
bonkers Offline

Posted: Aug. 05 2005, 21:52

well ive listend to tubular bells 2 for 2-3 years twice everyday (almost) i dont mind ommadawn and amarok but they dont have a patch on tubular bells 2.and its alot lot lot lot better than tubular bells 1 and i dont care what anyone else says  :D
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Aug. 05 2005, 22:05

Well it is definitely a more mature work than TB1, I think part of my attraction to TB1 is that it was created by a troubled young man with a scitzophrenic? mother who was inspired by his own seclusion, and TB2 is entirely different, created by a happy mature confident person. I'm sure TB2 came to him a lot easier and therefore may lack something in some ways but gains in others. Have you seen the footage at Edinburgh Castle?

Have you heard Songs of Distant Earth, I think this album has similar qualities to TB2 in it's confidence.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
bonkers Offline

Posted: Aug. 05 2005, 22:12

yeah im watching it as i speak,i wouldent know much about mature myself as im only 18 but its a wonderful piece of music.btw i saw a topic on these forums asking if mikes music made you cry,and the answer is.all the time.
esspeicaly the end solo(maya gold i think)i was listening to that when i heard my brother had died 3 weeks ago and i will never forget him everytime i hear it.
tubular bells 2 :)
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Aug. 05 2005, 22:19

Very sorry to hear about your brother. Most of Mikes music is very emotional. My sister illustrated a book about Mike for me back in 1991 (reviewing the Virgin years) just before TB2 was released. In it she did an amazing drawing called Incantation faces (shown in the 'artwork from Australia' thread). The similarities between this and the film clip to 'Sentinel' which was released some time later are quite eery. In the film clip, you see Mike and other musicians sitting in the back of face masks floating through the clouds, have a look.

--------------
Profile PM 
Bill Bobaggins Offline

Posted: Aug. 06 2005, 08:15

Quote (TubularBelle @ Aug. 05 2005, 22:19)
Very sorry to hear about your brother. Most of Mikes music is very emotional. My sister illustrated a book about Mike for me back in 1991 (reviewing the Virgin years) just before TB2 was released. In it she did an amazing drawing called Incantation faces (shown in the 'artwork from Australia' thread). The similarities between this and the film clip to 'Sentinel' which was released some time later are quite eery. In the film clip, you see Mike and other musicians sitting in the back of face masks floating through the clouds, have a look.

How can we find this thread?

--------------
Speak friend and enter.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Aug. 06 2005, 11:07

Tubular Bells II is a very special album to me.When I first saw TB II on TV,I was only 11 years old and found very boring,even after getting into prog rock 2 years early.

After I got in touch again with MO's music in 2001,me aged 20,my concepts regarding TB II has changed a lot,and now it's a pleasure to watch and listen to it.

Just remember my nick in here...Tati The Sentinel,and Sentinel is one of my fav tracks from MO.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Aug. 06 2005, 20:55

Quote (Bill Bobaggins @ Aug. 06 2005, 21:15)
How can we find this thread?

Here is the Artwork from Australia thread.

I too can honestly say that TB2 changed my life, as the TB2/3 DVD was the one that first got me into Mike's music. When I first heard it I loved it more than any other piece of music, infact my whole family loved it and we started buying everything else from Mike. For a long time it was my very favourite album. I don't love it now to the same extent, but it is still quite special to me.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Aug. 07 2005, 18:33

Quote (bonkers @ Aug. 06 2005, 03:12)
yeah im watching it as i speak,i wouldent know much about mature myself as im only 18 but its a wonderful piece of music.btw i saw a topic on these forums asking if mikes music made you cry,and the answer is.all the time.
esspeicaly the end solo(maya gold i think)i was listening to that when i heard my brother had died 3 weeks ago and i will never forget him everytime i hear it.

Hello bonkers,

I'm very sorry to hear about your brother.   Hey bonkers you sound far more mature than some blokes I know of in their 20's or 30's.     I clicked on your  profile , it didn't say if you were male or female. sorry if I'm  making the wrong assumtion.  I personally think that a man who can openly admit to crying, is much more of a man than those who have to act macho all the time.  I hate it when women who cry are regarded as "neurotic"  or "over emotional".  

I do feel the world would be a worse place if it wasn't for emotionally moving music such as Mike's.  Thank you Mike  :) .  
For me I find Part 1 of Hergest Ridge from about 8:02- 13:34 can start me crying.  It's such a beautifully moving piece, it can also depend upon my mood at the time of playing it.  So bonkers please don't put yourself down, just because your'e only 18, your views are as valid as those of an older person.       :)

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Tansy Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2005, 06:18

My sentiments exactly Moonchildhippy.I have done a lot of crying-so have my big sons too.

Tubular bells II - like it a lot :) great tracks & Moonshine
always cheers & makes me want to dance.
Profile PM 
bonkers Offline

Posted: Aug. 09 2005, 15:32

Quote (moonchildhippy @ Aug. 07 2005, 18:33)
Quote (bonkers @ Aug. 06 2005, 03:12)

Hello bonkers,

I'm very sorry to hear about your brother.   Hey bonkers you sound far more mature than some blokes I know of in their 20's or 30's.     I clicked on your  profile , it didn't say if you were male or female. sorry if I'm  making the wrong assumtion.  I personally think that a man who can openly admit to crying, is much more of a man than those who have to act macho all the time.  I hate it when women who cry are regarded as "neurotic"  or "over emotional".  

I do feel the world would be a worse place if it wasn't for emotionally moving music such as Mike's.  Thank you Mike  :) .  
For me I find Part 1 of Hergest Ridge from about 8:02- 13:34 can start me crying.  It's such a beautifully moving piece, it can also depend upon my mood at the time of playing it.  So bonkers please don't put yourself down, just because your'e only 18, your views are as valid as those of an older person.       :)

thank you for such a nice post,sorry i could reply earlyer i havent been on the forum for a few days.
ps.i really listened to hergest ridge proberly but im about to now ;)
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Aug. 09 2005, 18:44

Hi bonkers,

Hope you enjoy listening to Hergest Ridge,  IMHO a fantastic album, and a fantastic place too   :D .  If you get the chance I reccomend visiting Hergest Ridge (the place) too,  I'm sure you won't be dissapointed.

Out of the Tubular Bells albums I've never rated TB2 as highly as I have OTB or TB3.  I had the "Mike Oldfield DVD Collection" as a birthday present last month. Having played the DVD of the TB2 concert from Edinburgh Castle, I  think I have underrated TB2, Time to play TB2 again   :) .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
Bill Bobaggins Offline

Posted: Aug. 09 2005, 20:25

Quote (TubularBelle @ Aug. 05 2005, 22:19)

Oh my gosh, I just went through that thread and saw the beautiful work your sister did.  What talent.  I am very impressed.

--------------
Speak friend and enter.
Profile PM 
sohfar Offline

Posted: Aug. 12 2005, 11:05

Hi bonkers,

I am sorry to here your brother died, I hope TBII brings you some comfort.

I hope you enjoy listening to Mike Oldfields music for as long as I have - 28 years!.  He certainly changed my life from the first listening of TBI - I feel so lucky to have found his music.  And We have more to come!!   ;)

--------------
HEALTH WARNING
This record could be hazardous to the health
of cloth-eared nincompoops. If you suffer from this
condition, consult your Doctor immediately.
Profile PM 
far above the clouds Offline

Posted: Sep. 01 2005, 11:48

First, my condolences to Bonkers. TB 2 is very dear to my heart as well. I lost track of Mike's music around 1989. One day in 1992 I walked into a record shop and heard this wonderful music being played. I asked who it was - and behold: Mike Oldfield Tubular Bells 2. I bought the cassette (no cd player back then), quickly wore it out amidst many evenings and many tears. A tough time for me then, TB 2 helped me through. Now I have the cd, dvd and a poster. As much as I stated that TBIII is my all time favorite musical work, I'll always treasure and love TB2!

--------------
Tell me how does it feel......when your heart grows cold.
Profile PM 
Wayfarer Offline

Posted: Sep. 01 2005, 15:12

My condolences to Bonkers too. Stand up, our friend :)

My life changed deeply with Tubular Bells II, as that record made me discover Mike Oldfield. That is just priceless. By God's sake, before TB2 I used to listen to MC Hammer and Cliff Richard!!! :p

-- Wayfarer

--------------
My homepage - www.thewayfarer.info
My search - www.cannotbefound.com
My community - www.taurusiv.net
My luthier - www.artluthier.com
Profile PM WEB 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Sep. 01 2005, 19:56

I'm pleased far above the clouds ans bonkers that listening to TB2 has been such a positive life changing experience for both of you :) .  I admire your honesty.

Wayfarer I'm pleased TB2 changed your musical tastes for the positive too!!! Happy listening :) .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
Woman in the rain Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Sep. 29 2005, 17:49

yes,it´s a good lp
Profile PM 
maria Offline

Posted: Sep. 30 2005, 04:54

tubular bells ll didn't change my life, but it's somehow special for me as it was the first time i saw him playing live.. :)

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 
31 replies since Aug. 05 2005, 20:57 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net