Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Tubular Bells #16 at BBC Radio 2 - 50 most popular British songs< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: June 01 2002, 11:59

'Tubular Bells' is #16 at BBC Radio 2 50 most popular British songs.
Profile PM 
Man In The Rain Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 01 2002, 14:33

HAHAHA! Classic! I guess that's mainly due to tubular.net posters and a well organised voting campaign for Mike...awesome biggrin

Oliver

--------------
Hergest Ridge 165 - Ommadawn 038 - Incantations 243
Profile PM WEB 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: June 01 2002, 15:56

Hmm.. First 3 songs are keyboards songs... No wonder Mike didn't put much guitar in To Be free... wink Keyboards rule!
And who is the impostor at spot #4??
Profile PM 
oblique Offline

Posted: June 02 2002, 03:18

My guess is Terry Wogan must at least have voted a million times to get this dude at no4.

Still, nice performance, 16th place.
Well done guys.....

--------------
"While we are alive we should sit among colored lights and taste good wines, and discuss our adventures in far places; when we are dead, the opportunity is past." - Jack Vance
Profile PM 
timshen Offline

Posted: June 02 2002, 03:21

I guess Tubular Bells must be the only Album in the list! If it was voting for the best album of all time? mm!

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
tubularbills Offline

Posted: June 02 2002, 12:01

is it Tubular Bells Part one? or part two? i'm guessing part one smile but technically they should have been more specific.

--------------
Terrible, Wonderful, Crazy, Perfect.
Profile PM 
ian Offline

Posted: June 02 2002, 16:55

Baker street.....number 1...????????????.Uuuuugh!,horrible horrible song (in my humble opinion)
Profile PM WEB 

Unregistered

Posted: June 02 2002, 20:19

Fact is Tubular Bells is an instrunetal work of symphonic proportions ie duration etc and not a SONG.This makes the 16th position vote even more impressive.Baker street is a cool song and Gerry Raferty is a great musician and producer.A musicians musician.Dont wish to be ignorant but who is that number 4 geezer.
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: June 05 2002, 15:42

Just thought I'd point out that Baker Street was number ELEVEN - not number 1! And no, I've never heard of Clifford T.Ward either - an I'm a 100% obsessed music NERD!

And I'm glad Tubular Bells is on there, disrespective of it not being a 'song' per se - its 30 years old and yet still arguably far more innovative and technically advanced than anything else in the chart

Oliver

--------------
Hergest Ridge 165 - Ommadawn 038 - Incantations 243
Profile PM WEB 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: June 19 2002, 05:59

A few comments:

re: Olivier's post above about keyboard-based songs...while I don't have anything against keyboards, I wouldn't say that's the only reason why people voted for, say, Bohemian Rhapsody (as opposed to A Whiter Shade of Pale- the organ in that is definitely my favourite aspect of that song)...the operatic part, Brian May's guitar solos, okay, the keyboard parts. But there's no excuse for voting Imagine 3rd. Although who knows what To Be Free could have done in years to come if the lyrics were along the same wishy-washy topic.

Baker Street rocks. Gerry Rafferty is great. End of story.

It's a reasonable poll- some decent songs in there, and a few debatable ones too...besides Imagine, songs like We Don't Talk Anymore either shouldn't be there at all, or at least not so high. But I'm glad to see He Ain't Heavy in the top 10.

But the main reason for my posting is that a double-CD compilation was released earlier this month after the poll, containing (according to amazon.co.uk) 41 tracks. Now, some of the tracks did not make the 50 (Solsbury Hill (how on earth did PG not make the top 50?), Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick etc), some of the 50 are missed out (Sultans of Swing (no!!!!!!!!!!!!), Wuthering Heights (ditto), Layla (ditto)), and Imagine and We Don't Talk Anymore etc. are still there.

BUT...TB IS THERE. Which leads to me to ask the question...which bit? The opening to Part One (as I suspect), the MC section (perhaps), the whole lot (I doubt)?

For those interested, the CD (Best of British) is available from the BBC Shop:

http://www.bbcshop.com/bbc_shop/product.asp?shop=bbc&pf%5Fid=VTD CD302&mscssid=N3U9DSREFLSR2NQA0002U40F66NGBRJ4

and amazon.co.uk (I'm assuming it's the same, I'm pretty sure it is given the catalogue # and the cover artwork):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000068FQC/ref=sr_aps_music_1_1/202-38960 30-8299851

Tim.
Profile PM WEB 
Brewer Offline

Posted: July 12 2002, 14:48

I wish to point out that firstly ima Mike Oldfield devoutee since the mid 70's. To me is music has helped me through a lot of moments throughout my life ands for that i will always be eternally grateful. I am however annoyed by the references to "That Geezer at No4".
I must admit I was suprised by the inclusion of my favourite song of all time at No 4. If any of the ppl who are wondering who he is, he was a very talented songwriter that wrote songs that had feelin, much the same way Mike wrote Music.
"That Geezer" was struck down in the prime of his writing life by MS. He suffered for about 20 years form this crippling disease before succoming to it in Dec 2002.
I would advise every body to check out the body of work from "That Geezer at No4" before slaggin him off. In particluar the "Home Thoughts from abraod" Album, which done for song writers in the mid 70's what MO did for music. Clifford T. Ward will be remembered long after most of the drivel that fills the charts nowadays, his songs have been covered by famous artists all over the world and his songs have prob been covered more times than MO's songs.

--------------
Maker of MOs favourite beverage

No trees were harmed in the creation and sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
Profile PM 
oblique Offline

Posted: July 13 2002, 04:02

My sincere apologies to Clifford T.Ward and all his fans.

I'd never ever heard of him and really thought it was a hoax...

--------------
"While we are alive we should sit among colored lights and taste good wines, and discuss our adventures in far places; when we are dead, the opportunity is past." - Jack Vance
Profile PM 
Brewer Offline

Posted: July 13 2002, 05:17

No worries Jael
Glad to pass on the benefits of my longish life. LOL

--------------
Maker of MOs favourite beverage

No trees were harmed in the creation and sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
Profile PM 
12 replies since June 01 2002, 11:59 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net