Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Tubular Bell, Where< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
nightspore Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 14 2011, 21:06

I seem to remember seeing a tubular bell at some point in TL. I don't think it was an avatar... Or am I getting mixed up with Maestro?
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: June 16 2011, 18:38

If you refer to the familiar bent bell shape which appears on the TB covers (all of them), it's in 3L. In Good World, Pegasus appears as a floating bent bell when you look at him from a distance. When you get closer to him, the bell turns back into Pegasus. [It's not a morphing effect or anything - it's just a graphically cinematic dissolve-from and dissolve-to effect.] I think this also happens elsewhere - I'm pretty sure Pegasus appears not only where he righfully should (in Good world and in one of the three "seventh ring" sequences), but also in other areas of the game. However, I don't remember exactly where. I just remember that one evening, during an online game, I was flying high above the main land (maybe there were no barriers, I'm not sure) and I saw a blueish bent bell. I got curious, flew closer to it and it turned into Pegasus. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
HR lover Offline

Posted: June 16 2011, 18:49

'blueish' shouldn't that be bluish?

--------------
Neither a borrower nor a lender be,
For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: June 16 2011, 18:59

Quote (Ugo @ June 16 2011, 18:38)
If you refer to the familiar bent bell shape which appears on the TB covers (all of them), it's in 3L. In Good World, Pegasus appears as a floating bent bell when you look at him from a distance. When you get closer to him, the bell turns back into Pegasus. [It's not a morphing effect or anything - it's just a graphically cinematic dissolve-from and dissolve-to effect.] I think this also happens elsewhere - I'm pretty sure Pegasus appears not only where he righfully should (in Good world and in one of the three "seventh ring" sequences), but also in other areas of the game. However, I don't remember exactly where. I just remember that one evening, during an online game, I was flying high above the main land (maybe there were no barriers, I'm not sure) and I saw a blueish bent bell. I got curious, flew closer to it and it turned into Pegasus. :)

Thanks, Ugo (not spelt uego  :D  )
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: June 17 2011, 07:14

@ HR lover: in the cartoon film Yellow Submarine I've seen it spelt both ways, so I think that both are acceptable. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
HR lover Offline

Posted: June 19 2011, 13:31

That's one crazy cartoon. I've never heard of it but I looked it up on youtube and it's very very psychedelic.

--------------
Neither a borrower nor a lender be,
For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: June 19 2011, 18:49

@ HR lover [off topic - sorry, Matt! :)]: it was intended to be wild, crazy and psychedelic. When the idea was originally pitched to the Fab Four, Lennon & McCartney strongly opposed it, because the producers were the same of an American series of short Beatles cartoons which were very silly - John & Macca were afraid that the film would turn out very silly as well. So when the producers assured them that they were going to use a completely un-Disney-ish approach and actually incorporate the Beatles' own concepts and ideas about psychedelia, they were more than enthusiastic about it - even if, in the end, their actual involvement in the film was very limited.

If you like the Beatles, I'd warmly recommend you to get the remastered DVD and watch the whole thing, which IMHO is excellent. ;)

Ah, by the way, in the film the word "bluish" is used at least 3 times by the Blue Meanies. One time it's spelt "bluish", then it turns into "blue-ish" and finally "blueish". :D

--------------
Profile PM 
6 replies since June 14 2011, 21:06 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net