[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (4) < 1 [2] 3 4 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Tubular Beats remix album in February 2013< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Nov. 27 2012, 17:56

Quote (Korgscrew @ Nov. 27 2012, 20:51)
Let There Be Light needed new guitar parts because the original multitrack tape has been lost (anyone who'd been hoping for a 5.1 remix of The Songs of Distant Earth at some point is unfortunately out of luck)

I always suspected there might be problems with material from around then; in the Sound on Sound article from that time it was suggested that Mike was putting down some guitar parts whilst carrying out the stereo mix. So those guitar parts were never on the multitrack in the first place.

And even if they found it they'd need to rent or borrow a Sony 3348 machine to play the thing… 

In other areas of my life the long-term storage and playability of digitally recorded albums is started to become a real worry.
Profile PM 
Nacho Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 27 2012, 18:40

The fact he was living in USA those years also helps to this loss of recorded material, after moving back to UK, I suppose.
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Posted: Nov. 27 2012, 20:10

Quote (Mat Cochrane @ Nov. 28 2012, 09:56)
In other areas of my life the long-term storage and playability of digitally recorded albums is started to become a real worry.

Surely the Doctor has a spare room in the Tardis  :D
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Nov. 28 2012, 05:32

Quote (Nacho @ Nov. 28 2012, 00:40)
The fact he was living in USA those years also helps to this loss of recorded material, after moving back to UK, I suppose.

The Songs Of Distant Earth were recorded at Roughwood Croft in Chalfont St. Giles, Buckinghamshire, UK.

;)
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Posted: Nov. 29 2012, 05:03

Quote (Milamber @ Nov. 28 2012, 01:10)
Quote (Mat Cochrane @ Nov. 28 2012, 09:56)

Surely the Doctor has a spare room in the Tardis  :D

You know my form, Sir… :)

The Doctor is rubbish at letting us use the TARDIS when it comes to the issue of deadlines.
Profile PM 
AaronLancs Offline

Posted: Dec. 07 2012, 06:41

Any word yet from Mercury for a UK release?

--------------
AaronLancs.
Profile PM 
stpaul Offline

Posted: Dec. 21 2012, 08:57

Here you can pre-listen to Tubular Beats:

Tubular Beats / Amazon

As I like the 2011 remix of Guilty (I mean this :
Guilty 2011 - the video used to be available on vimeo for some time) I had been looking forward to this project but the result is completely disappointing. Tubular Beats sounds more like a cover album than a bunch of remixes.

It's 2012 nearly 2013 now and not 1992/1993... listening to Moonlight Shadow and To France makes me really furious: Cheesy sound design and embarassing new vocals (why?) makes it sound like one of the annoying cover versions from the past.
Even the other tracks are not suitable for the turntables of the in-clubs.

Mike Oldfield's classic tracks need a makeover by innovative remixers like The Orb, Thomas Fehlmann, Shackleton, The Field, Prins Thomas, Hans-Peter Lindstrøm or guys like that.
Profile PM 
Navaira Offline

Posted: Dec. 21 2012, 12:42

I agree on the vocals on Moonlight Shadow and To France. Anything would be better, even vocals by Vocaloids. This is cheapening an amazing legacy and, yes, it sounds like those muzak covers.

Some of York's remixes sound good to me (mostly first half of the album). What The Orb did with Sentinel doesn't though, stpaul. Even though I love dance/electronic music (some of it more, some less), I'd be quite happy for Mike Oldfield to not get any other remixes than extended mixes of singles. In his vast catalogue, I only like the Earthmoving remixes, Sentinel (Satoshi Tommii reinterpretation), Hardfloor's amazing take on Let There Be Light and Women of Ireland remixes.

--------------
http://www.raygrant.com :: My album 'Exorcism' is out on iTunes now
Profile PM WEB 
hergest fridge Offline

Posted: Dec. 21 2012, 14:13

Oh dear!!! :/
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Dec. 21 2012, 15:24

Having just heard the snippets I must say it sounds better than what I'm used to hearing from Mike Oldfield these days. This York guy does electronic music much better than Mike does. The first two tracks sound supperior to the original versions and Ommadawn actually sounds promising! I don't like what he's done to To France but I didn't expect a masterpiece...

I think it would be a good idea for Mike to collaborate more with other producers/re-mixers in the future because he tends to under-produce his own material (and no, not Trevor Horn).

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Oceano Offline

Posted: Dec. 23 2012, 00:46

The album preview is now available on amazon  :D
amazon.de
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Dec. 24 2012, 07:57

ommadawn sounds very promising.. like some others here, to france and moonlight shadow is what i expected.. for the girls on the beach dancing in the sun with drinks..
Im looking forward to hear more of the Guilty mixes..
Far above the clouds sounds amazing btw.. love the beat..
But Northstar, i guess Røyksopp have the best mix.. but i'll wait for that until i have the album for full listen.
in case you havent heard the mix of røyksopp, take a listen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzfT9Cu1w6o

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Dec. 24 2012, 08:51

I've just heard the snippets, and I think I'll give this album a miss, I just don't get why Mike is interested in this kind of music, he should leave it to the people who do it all the time. The only track that I was interested in is Never Too Far, but the snippet doesn't give anything away, and it doesn't say who has written that track.
Profile PM 
Nacho Offline

Posted: Dec. 26 2012, 14:07

On iTunes there are now 1:30 min. from each track. More is not always best....!! :laugh:
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Dec. 27 2012, 08:00

Quote (qjamesfloyd @ Dec. 24 2012, 12:51)
I've just heard the snippets, and I think I'll give this album a miss, I just don't get why Mike is interested in this kind of music, he should leave it to the people who do it all the time. The only track that I was interested in is Never Too Far, but the snippet doesn't give anything away, and it doesn't say who has written that track.

I think it may be more of a York project rather than Mike...IMHO.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
familyman Offline

Posted: Jan. 25 2013, 15:59

Has anyone in the UK found any good places to buy this? It's currently £18.52 for the import on amazon.co.uk, which is a slightly more than I wanted to pay considering I'm interested by it but I don't think it's going to be my favourite Mike release...

Someone posted a link to this site, WOW HD UK on the Facebook group, which has it for a really good price but I'm not sure whether I can trust it
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Jan. 25 2013, 19:45

Ordering from amazon.de works out marginally cheaper (£15.65 including delivery to the UK).

WOW HD is a long-established business (it used to be called CD Wow), but I've never personally bought anything there, so wouldn't want to say it's definitely reliable. I've read that they get their low prices by selling import products rather than UK stock in some cases, but in this case, you know you're buying an import anyway!
Profile PM 
neil-h Offline

Posted: Jan. 26 2013, 15:21

I too ordered this from amazon.de as it seemed to be the cheapest and most reliable seller at present.
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Jan. 26 2013, 16:07

I used Cd Now a while ago without any issues. They sent a Hong Kong import.

And when I signed into WowHD my old password worked, so I was happy to order. Got my "dispatched" email on Friday but if I remember their delivery times are quite long.

Still, all adds to the anticipation!

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: Jan. 27 2013, 08:09

I've just purchased the CD from WowHD after registering ... though didn't receive either authentication email during registration or order confirmation email !

I thought these were automated emails ? .... It is a Sunday though and my order is listed in my account.

States 'not yet released' as status even though others have had their order despatched.

Fingers crossed all goes well.
Profile PM 
68 replies since Nov. 19 2012, 17:21 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < 1 [2] 3 4 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net