familyman Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 28 2013, 12:10

Thanks, I'll try that site! :)
Profile PM 
timshen Offline

Posted: Jan. 31 2013, 10:45

Just bought the album using iTunes. The good news is that Guilty is much better than the crappy YouTube video that was put up. Not all the songs seem to have Mike's direct involvement and some have his original tracks put through sound morphing. The best tracks are where Mike provides some fresh input such as Never Too Far, which is beautiful. Northstar is also another highlight for me, using some of the new stuff added in the Deluxe version of Platinum to good effect. Far Above the clouds is a disappointment to me - it's only a York Remix witout Mike's input and it shows. The girls voice is annoying to me and the tubular bells have very little impact. The same can be said of To France and Moonlight Shadow which lose all the great bits from Mike's Original.I guess if you like York's stuff wihout Mike then you'll like these but it's not my cup of tea. Ommadawn is pretty much all like the demo on Youtube with no extra surprises and additions. A shame as it could have been so much better, I loved the clip and felt it could have been developed much better.

Anyway, some good stuff from Mike to keep us satisfied until the Rock album comes along :-)

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Jan. 31 2013, 11:08

Timshen, are you saying that there is no guitar in this remix of Ommadawn? If there is no guitar, I am very disappointed.

Edit: and what about Let There Be Light? Is it any good? Guitar?
Profile PM 
timshen Offline

Posted: Jan. 31 2013, 12:03

@harmono - the Ommadawn track fades out as in the YouTube clip and then returns as a more York mix with no noticeable input from Mike ( no guitar). I forgot to mention that Let There Be Light is excellent, it has remixes of Mike's guitar and the basic flow of the original is still there even though it is purely a York remix.

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
timshen Offline

Posted: Jan. 31 2013, 12:07

Actually, listening again, I think the 'guitar' in LTBL is a synth but it sounds really nice. This track is becoming my fave from the album :-)

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Jan. 31 2013, 12:13

Thanks for your answer! I guess I'll buy at least a part of the album tomorrow.
Profile PM 
stpaul Offline

Posted: Feb. 01 2013, 02:29

All in all I don't like the style of the remixes very much. Especially the new versions (no remixes at all !;) of To France and Moonlight Shadow sound quite embarrassing.

But there are also 2 great tracks: Guilty (Mike Oldfield & York Remix) and Ommadawn are real highlights from beginning to end. Both tracks deserve a 12" release !
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Feb. 01 2013, 03:03

Still waiting to arrive on Spotify.If it's really really worthwhile,I'd buy the album.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Feb. 01 2013, 12:22

Platinum works for me. It's really good, actually. Maybe because there's so much MO guitar going on... Ommadawn and Let There Be Light are good enough! Moonlight Shadow and To France I didn't even download because, well you know...
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Feb. 01 2013, 13:57

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ Feb. 01 2013, 07:03)
Still waiting to arrive on Spotify.

If you're in the UK, you might be waiting a long time - it'll not be available on Spotify until it gets a UK release, which I think there's no immediate plan for. It's available on Spotify outside the UK, though.
Profile PM 
familyman Offline

Posted: Feb. 02 2013, 08:43

My copy arrived today from WOW HD (shipped all the way from Hong Kong which I wasn't expecting), and i have to say that on the whole the album is...alright. Some of the remixes are nothing special (Let There Be Light in particular), but I don't mind most of the other tracks, except for any that have 'new' vocals, as to me they seem to go against everything Mike wanted originally in the vocals (American style accents etc.). Also the Tubular Bells 2 remix sounds to me more like a second remix of TB rather than of TB2 specifically, but a few of the new mixes I quite like :)
Profile PM 
Starwatcher Offline

Posted: Feb. 03 2013, 14:44

My copy arrived yesterday from amazon.de and my feelings about it are 50 : 50...

I must say frankly that I've never liked Guilty so it is nearly impossible for me to get in those two remixes. Ommadawn has dissapointed me because the beginning is very promising and then it turns into insignificance. And who on earth really needs  t h o s e  versions of To France and Moonlight Shadow???

On the other hand I really appreciate Let there be Light, Far Above the Clouds and Northstar. Tubular Bells 2 is o.k. and concerning Never too Far I think the more often I listen to it the more I like it. Tarja Turunen surely has an amazing voice and it would be wonderful if Mike continued this collaboration (perhaps even concerning the rock album?!;).

But I seem to be the only one here who sees the real masterpiece in the Tubular Bells remix! This track really lifts me up! Thank you Mike and Torsten, you created a new musical drug for me.....    :)

--------------
"...but every while I would remember..."
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: Feb. 03 2013, 14:55

I too love the Tubular Bells track Starwatcher  :)
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Feb. 03 2013, 20:15

First thoughts are - who is this album aimed at? And why does it say only "Mike Oldfield" on the front?

This is NOT an album for 40 or 50 somethings with expanding waistlines and a prog rock vinyl collection. It's an Ibizian collection to dance to (albeit probably chemically enhanced).

I've always had an issue with tracks labelled as "re-mixes" when there is so little of the original song to be heard. A few tracks here full foul of that, but there are some genuine attempts to take Mike's work and enhance or modify. Others though are just York doing his (slightly above) average dance tracks with very small sections of Mike on top.

And the TB outro? Why is that not listed as a seperate track - there's a good 8 seconds of silence before it starts.

I WILL listen to this CD in my car -I like the dance ambient sounds, but I need more of Mike's guityar crescendo' not just phat beats. Mikes own bass lines do not tweaking, they can stand alone on their own. Ever heard the MVR Maestro "jets" section bass?

So - 6 out of 10.

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Feb. 04 2013, 01:22

Loving Northstar...Almost expected to hear the Weightless vocal chant at the start...It would fit well..

Cool album, more or less what I expected...The 70's are done folks.  :)
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Feb. 04 2013, 04:32

Quote (Korgscrew @ Feb. 01 2013, 17:57)
Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ Feb. 01 2013, 07:03)
Still waiting to arrive on Spotify.

If you're in the UK, you might be waiting a long time - it'll not be available on Spotify until it gets a UK release, which I think there's no immediate plan for. It's available on Spotify outside the UK, though.

Don't think that Tubular Beats is going to appear on Spotify UK soon...it's not top priority at the moment.

If I go somewhere else and have the chance to listen to,I will

;)

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Feb. 04 2013, 12:25

Quote (Starwatcher @ Feb. 03 2013, 20:44)
Ommadawn has dissapointed me because the beginning is very promising and then it turns into insignificance. And who on earth really needs  t h o s e  versions of To France and Moonlight Shadow???

i agree soo 100% on that..
would be really nice if the orginal voices was there..
would love to have a hip version of crime of passion..
Moonlight shadow and To france is nothing but yet another fan made trance version thing.. sorry York!
Ommadawn... what ey amazing kick off..! would love to have that take off, going on and on.. rest of it is ok.. but its like something is missing...
Let there be light is beautiful.. love the chill version.. sure thing to have in your ears in summer time. Both Guilty mixes are really groovy, love them. North star is very groovy too.. like it!
Beautiful track at the end.. nice and wonderful voice..
Rest of the mixes are ok.. but nothing very much doing to me i feel.. i would appreciate more guitars..there is so little of the original song to be heard like Andy says..

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
ommadawn34 Offline

Posted: Feb. 05 2013, 15:42

Just taken delivery of Tubular Beats today.
Absolutely Brilliant. A new twist on Mike's music. Listening right now.
Profile PM 
starfish Offline

Posted: Feb. 05 2013, 18:43

I'm not a great fan of Oldfield's 'dance music' stuff - for me Tres Lunacy and Lame + Shonky are by far my least favourite of his entire canon. I bought this as a completist, but I wasn't looking forward to it.

I have to say, I was surprised to find I actually liked this. Although to my ears it seems a bit passé (everything about this release screams late nineties to me, down to the Cher-effect vocals on To France), it's actually quite fun.

There's a playfulness about this project, a glint in the eye and a sly wink - that just wasn't present in his previous efforts at dance music, which to my ears were all dreary and soulless. Dancing is supposed to be fun, and it looks as though Mike has finally learnt this!

The Ommadawn remix is absolutely brilliant, as is North Star, both capturing the mood of the original pieces perfectly. We've had so many different versions and covers of Moonlight Shadow and To France now that most people are treating these new versions with some disdain, and that's perfectly understandable. I think the new singer's quite good, if only her natural voice wasn't being drowned in vocoders and pitch-manipulation. Let's just say that they are passable and move on.

The one new track, Never Too Far, is a bit wishy-washy for me and doesn't really go anywhere; Tarja's vocals are quite far back in the mix (almost Enya-style). This isn't a problem for me because I find her accent extremely offputting anyway - Nightwish's cover of 'Over the Hills and Far Away' is unintentionally hilarious as a result - or should I call it "Orfa the heelss und far away", because that's how she sings it!

So yeah, it's no substitute for new material, but it's a decent enough stopgap. I'd probably give it a seven out of ten.
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Feb. 07 2013, 23:39

Quote (olracUK @ Feb. 03 2013, 20:15)
This is NOT an album for 40 or 50 somethings with expanding waistlines and a prog rock vinyl collection. It's an Ibizian collection to dance to (albeit probably chemically enhanced).

I sweetly disagree! Mine arrived today and I'm in that demographic (i.e., 40 or 50 somethings with expanding waistlines and a prog rock vinyl collection) and absolutely LOVE it! I cannot wait to workout to it--I see a combination of Dance/Spinning in my near future. It is the perfect workout music, at least for some of the time. Try it, you might like it (and curb that waistline! ).

You were just kidding, weren't you?  :p

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
68 replies since Nov. 19 2012, 17:21 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < 1 2 [3] 4 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net