Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: tubenetVR, collaborate on our own MusicVR?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Sep. 06 2010, 12:01

A few years ago there was a collaborative project of tubular.net folks to produce a cover of finale. Very successful it was too!

I recently came across a bit of software called unity which is a free (in it's "lite" version anyway) game development tool. Available for Macs and PCs at the moment to build for Mac, PC or for the web with a plugin. Building for other platforms (iPhone, Wii etc. ) looks like it costs money. Anyway, it reminded me of another topic here asking what tools could be used to develop something like MusicVR and that got me thinking...

While unity is aimed at developing shooters / platformers etc. it seemed fairly easy to use and looked powerful enough and flexible enough that it could be a tool for building a MusicVR type game. Being multiplatform, free and able to import assets from all sorts of other packages (.ogg sound files, .3ds models etc. etc.) it seemed to me it might be possible to use it for a collaboration if others were interested. I am not particularly arty (just ask the other admins, they saw my photoshopped draft of an HR pizza - eurgh) but might be able to help with the scripting. Others might be good at some music - we know many of you are - but less good at 3d modelling. Others able to do a bit of 3d modelling, others some texture work etc. etc. and over time try to build up something on the scale of MusicVR or Maestro.

So before I get too enthusiastic about this thought, anyone else remotely interested in doing something like this? Could be incredibly difficult to get people to agree on content but you never know!

p.s. wouldn't need to involve Unity, there are other similar tools out there I imagine might also be used
p.s. it wouldn't have to be called tubenetVR either :p

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 06 2010, 20:27

Matt, what is "Finale"?
Profile PM 
MVR Superstar Offline

Posted: Sep. 07 2010, 11:33

I'd be up for it, but I don't know what exactly I could contribute. :D

--------------
"Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 07 2010, 19:10

@ nightspore: "Finale" is the final section of TB Part 1, the one where the instruments enter one by one; it was named like that in TB 2003 and it was re-done as a tribute, shortly after that. by a group of tubular.net members. The link provided by Matt above explains everything. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Posted: Sep. 09 2010, 04:15

Hmmm, I'm reminded of Brave new world from War of the Worlds here:

Matt: We'll build shops and hospitals and barracks  ... Everything we need - banks, prisons and schools  ... We'll build villages and towns ....

Other level headed folks thinking to themselves: In the cellar was a tunnel scarcely ten yards long ... and I suddenly had my first inkling of the gulf between his dreams and his powers.

Maybe I'll start small (I've got as far as a terrain derived from the front cover of Ommadawn ;) ) and see just how daunting this is. If I get anywhere (superstar, I'll PM you to see if you want to do anything here) I can always make it public somewhere to show what is possible. If I don't get anywhere - well, that will prove the gulf between my dreams and my powers! :D

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
MVR Superstar Offline

Posted: Sep. 11 2010, 07:43

I have made a sketchy 3d model of something we could do similar to the large text that apears in tres lunas. The image I posted of it is coming through, and i'll edit this post to show it as soon as it is available.
Edit: gave up on this thing, but may try again in blender.

--------------
"Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams
Profile PM 
Incantations Offline

Posted: Sep. 11 2010, 23:10

I could easily provide keyboards and piano, but would we try to emulate the music of MusicVr projects?

--------------
Hmm...
Profile PM 
Incantations Offline

Posted: Sep. 19 2010, 03:32

Bump.

Don't want this thread buried.

--------------
Hmm...
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Posted: Sep. 20 2010, 06:46

Thanks for the offer of joining in Incantations. I've been too busy to go near this idea at all the past week but I'm still keen to give something a go at some point. I'm thinking maybe try a proof of concept type thing first, maybe on the scale of the MusicVR demo with just one environment and activity. That would only need a limited set of models (which hopefully MVRsuperstar and myself could cobble together) and one bit of soundtrack (which it sounds like you might be interested in doing).

Any suggestions on the type of activity this could be? I've had various ideas but some of them might be too ambitious for a proof of concept:
- see how quickly you can find and fly through the MO album covers in order, maybe with the sound changing as you get to each one to something to do with that album
- similar to the "throw things at other things" in MusicVR, throw things at some hanging bells which then ring - and try and do it in time to a backing soundtrack.

any other thoughts?

Again, the above might all just be too ambitious, even for a first trial!

I also don't want this thread to die, even with just three of us interested at the moment, but it might be a slow moving project ;)

--------------
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 20 2010, 07:38

If Incantations is willing i'm happy to add any percussion or drums to his pieces or maybe some fills (pun intended) between the sections.
Great Idea BTW
Profile PM 
MVR Superstar Offline

Posted: Sep. 20 2010, 07:41

There should definately be a "throwing things at other things", aswell as avatars, they are both defining features of the MVR project. Sorry my picture hasn't come through yet, maybe I forgot to press the post button when I uploaded it  :D .

--------------
Profile PM 
Incantations Offline

Posted: Sep. 22 2010, 19:22

I would love to record again and I just got a high quality portable recording device. I may need Milamber, or anyone else for that matter to contribute drums first, but that is most likely a given.

I also play a few unorthodox percussion instruments (our very own Jamie Muir?) as well low brass and woodwinds. (nearly a whole symphony- except for strings)

Oh, and you may or may not have said it, since I am not willing to go back and check then having to retype this post, but I will restate this question. Thus far, do we know if the music will be a replica of MVR's, or our own.

I personally think it would be most affective as a mix.

--------------
Hmm...
Profile PM 
MVR Superstar Offline

Posted: Oct. 10 2010, 08:52

Sorry the picture hasn't come through, I don't know what went wrong. Anyway, here is the link to the tubular bell I drew, feel free to download and make it better if you see fit.

--------------
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Posted: Oct. 10 2010, 11:48

Nice bell MVRSuperstar :)

I've been playing a bit more with getting terrains and other bits and bobs in and animated. Currently thinking about setting up an area near Hergest Ridge (using publicly available DTM sources) for a "tech demo" (ha ha) with some animated bits and bobs in it. A tubular bell would certainly be good...

With regards to music, really whatever anybody wants! I had not anticipated repeating the music of MusicVR as such, really doing our own thing, either with covers of MO stuff (including bits of Tres Lunas/L+S if people fancied that) or other original bits of music. Up to you!

For importing a bit of music into a tech demo, anything of yours you've got you'd like to see used Incantations? Otherwise I could see if Korgie etc. are ok with the tubular.net Finale music going in somewhere.

--------------
Profile PM 
Incantations Offline

Posted: Oct. 10 2010, 14:40

That was my original thought when I say this thread, They need to play our finale cover

It was magnificent and would fit with a user run game. I should have a finished track by next monday. I have a keyboard with some pretty good pre-set sounds, just use me some overdubs and it'll do.

--------------
Hmm...
Profile PM 
MVR Superstar Offline

Posted: Oct. 10 2010, 14:44

I'm using sketchup for the models at the moment, which in the free version can export into .dae files I think. Unity says it can supports them (have we decided on unity?) but sketchup is pretty limited if you're game making and want animations. Does anyone know any free better tools? Until I have anything better I'm stuck with sketchup so do you want anything static drawn?

--------------
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Posted: Oct. 10 2010, 15:29

Quote (MVR Superstar @ Oct. 10 2010, 19:44)
I'm using sketchup for the models at the moment, which in the free version can export into .dae files I think. Unity says it can supports them (have we decided on unity?) but sketchup is pretty limited if you're game making and want animations. Does anyone know any free better tools? Until I have anything better I'm stuck with sketchup so do you want anything static drawn?

Sketchup pro can export to .3ds files which load fine into unity, I can do that at work. If you are interested in other modelling/animation tools I would suggest looking at blender, an open source modelling/animation/rendering package that, while I haven't used it much myself yet, seems to have a fairly good reputation and can produce output that can be loaded into unity (actually, blender have their own 3d game type thing I think but I don't think its as powerful/versatile as unity...)

No, "we" (a small number of people so far :) ) haven't decided upon unity but I'm game (haha) to stick with it for the moment unless any better suggestions are put forward...

p.s. Incantations, if you have any bit of music you are working that you'd like to see incorporated that would be fabulous. Don't worry too much about rushing it out mind you, I have little spare time at the moment so this first demo might take a while! I'll check with Korgie about including Finale. I agree that would be nice to have in there somewhere.

--------------
Profile PM 
MVR Superstar Offline

Posted: Oct. 12 2010, 13:07

I've downloaded and installed blender, Matt do you think you could convert my bell into a file I can use in blender please?

P.S When I get round to finishing a blender model, what file type should I export too?

--------------
Profile PM 
MVR Superstar Offline

Posted: Oct. 18 2010, 14:46

I've been messing around with blender for a while now, and i've got a rendered bell to show for it, here's the link. It still needs some improving, such as the fact you can see a "crease" in it, and there are lots of hidden vertices that are hard to clean up and will take extra computing power, but i'm generally pleased with it.

--------------
Profile PM 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: Oct. 19 2010, 11:04

I would love to be involved. My recording setup isn't the greatest but I could provide guitar and keyboards. Also, I don't know anything about 3D design but I could certainly offer ideas, and given some time I could help in the scripting/coding environment. Get in touch with me Matt.
Profile PM 
50 replies since Sep. 06 2010, 12:01 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net