Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: tubenetVR, collaborate on our own MusicVR?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
ex member 892 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 19 2010, 11:10

Just tried to download Unity - damn that's a big file. I'll need to get a friend to get it for me, 'cause downloading things of that size is kind of out for me right now.
Profile PM 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: Oct. 19 2010, 15:12

Crap. It doesn't work on my computer - requires an Intel processor and my old Mac has a PowerPC. Having an old computer really sucks.

Of course, this won't affect my ability to contribute music :), but I'm really interested in game design and I've been looking for something like this. The only other Mac-capable game engine I can think of is called Sand Box or something like that, but it's terrible and I wouldn't recommend it.

Oh yeah, there's Crystal Space, it'll compile on Mac, though I've never been able to get it to work.

And of course, you can make games just using Blender, but that's not really what it's intended for, so you wouldn't have many features or much flexibility.

Links:

Crystal Space

SandBox - but again, I don't recommend it.

EDIT: Found a game engine called OGRE that runs on Windows and Mac. It doesn't look near as flexible as Unity though. Hope this has been helpful.

SECOND EDIT: OGRE is a rendering engine, not a game engine. Sorry.
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Oct. 19 2010, 19:32

I don't have any expertise to add (or much time) but the people who play "URU - Myst online" have managed to get so many tools to add to that game. Python, Blender and many more.

Some of their output is simply stunning. And as the official developers went into financial hardship they've decided to make stuff open source for the fans (with a rather stringent licence).

Maybe the answer to VirtualVR is to ask Mike to release some of his files, let us know what programs were used to make the game? Or see if Colin and Tweek (game designers) have files we can use?

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
MVR Superstar Offline

Posted: Oct. 23 2010, 14:31

I've given up on making the bell any better, I wouldn't know where to start. Any Ideas on what to model next? Nothing to complex, just something that needs doing.

--------------
"Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams
Profile PM 
MVR Superstar Offline

Posted: Oct. 25 2010, 14:06

Quickie render of a model i'm working on, see if you can guess what it is ;)

--------------
"Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams
Profile PM 
MVR Superstar Offline

Posted: Oct. 26 2010, 12:38

Managed to salvage that distinct MVR shiny effect from some demo files hanging roungd on the blender website, now all i've got to do is understand it and apply it. Easier said than done  :/ .

--------------
Profile PM 
MVR Superstar Offline

Posted: Oct. 27 2010, 14:54

More shiny stuff, this time in the form of a YouTube video :)
Edit: ooh, new video link things. Cool :cool:

--------------
Profile PM 
familyman Offline

Posted: Oct. 29 2010, 05:25

I'm happy to conbritube something!  :)
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Oct. 29 2010, 07:58

Hmmm, lots more people who might fancy contributing - FAB!

MVR Superstar - I like the video, you've certainly captured the MVR/Maestro look there!

I'm starting to get a bit more organised with how we might approach this. First off I've set up a dropbox account in anticipation that we might use this to share files as collaborative work progresses (if it progresses ;) ). Before I get to far into using dropbox, everyone happy with that or someone have any better ideas? It apparently works for PC, Mac and Linux (I'm on PC platforms). If dropbox is ok I can add some more files and folks can PM me their E-mail for me to add them for sharing.

Further playing with terrains and I'm almost at the point of having an initial Hergest Ridge terrain to put in. And in a way that I know how to add anything referenced to OS grid co-ordinates - I'd thought some sort of "beacon" at the location of the Beacon might be fun for instance. Other thoughts appreciated!

Another thought I've had is regarding new original music (which quite a few of you seem game to provide! ). Thinking about MusicVR and Maestro there are a few different types of music:
  • Background looped music - fairly short loops - different ones for different areas/situations
  • Controlled sequence music e.g. flight to the island in the original MusicVR - longer compositions relating to whatever is going on visually
  • Effects, musical or otherwise, when things happen "the earth spirit is watching you", the noise of rings pinging about etc.
Any others you can think of? If anyone fancies knocking up a bit of audio for this, might be worth having the above in mind to think where it might fit in.

All for now, I'll try and add some more thoughts later!

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
MVR Superstar Offline

Posted: Oct. 29 2010, 09:07

dropbox sounds good to me  :)

--------------
Profile PM 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: Oct. 29 2010, 09:41

Dropbox should be fine - it saves us all from having to use RapidShare or MegaUpload.

OK, a problem I should mention: I've only ever played the demo of Tr3s Lunas. At that point I had a Windows - I don't anymore. And as I have a Mac there's not really any chance of me being able to play MusicVR (Hopefully if this project gets off the ground someone will be able to build it for Mac). I would still love to contribute but this limits my knowledge of what the MusicVR music sounds like and how it's structured.

Reading your post, Matt, you mentioned three types of music:

* Background looped music - fairly short loops - different ones for different areas/situations
   * Controlled sequence music e.g. flight to the island in the original MusicVR - longer compositions relating to whatever is going on visually
   * Effects, musical or otherwise, when things happen "the earth spirit is watching you", the noise of rings pinging about etc.

I don't have much experience in short looped based music. Perhaps if I provided longer pieces you could crossfade in or out depending on where the player is in the game?

Also, I'd like to see some of the stuff you're doing before I start to write for it - I don't like the idea of just writing randomly and hoping it all fits.
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Posted: Oct. 29 2010, 11:41

Quote (Syd B @ Oct. 29 2010, 14:41)
OK, a problem I should mention: I've only ever played the demo of Tr3s Lunas. At that point I had a Windows - I don't anymore. And as I have a Mac there's not really any chance of me being able to play MusicVR (Hopefully if this project gets off the ground someone will be able to build it for Mac). I would still love to contribute but this limits my knowledge of what the MusicVR music sounds like and how it's structured

Anyone managed to run musicVR on a Mac? I know it has worked ok for people on linux using WINE. there is a commercial product called crossover that seems to be a Mac implementation of WINE. Looks like it has a free 30 day trial if you want to try that? Alternatively do you know anyone with a PC that you could install MusicVR on to have a quick go?

Would be useful for you to have seen MusicVR in particular to understand the sort of thing we're aiming for.

In terms of actually producing music (or objects for that matter). As I've said before I reckon the best bet is just for us to do a trial proof of concept in the first place with something *very* simple in place. If you have a bit of music lying around already that you'd be happy to be put into this demo maybe that would actually  be a better bet rather than putting effort into something new without any clear idea where we are heading! If we can get something simple to work, we can then chat about what people might wish to see in something bigger and then  focus a bit more on what objects, music etc. would be worth building/developing.

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: Nov. 04 2010, 13:30

Quote (Matt @ Oct. 29 2010, 11:41)
Anyone managed to run musicVR on a Mac? I know it has worked ok for people on linux using WINE. there is a commercial product called crossover that seems to be a Mac implementation of WINE. Looks like it has a free 30 day trial if you want to try that? Alternatively do you know anyone with a PC that you could install MusicVR on to have a quick go?

Would be useful for you to have seen MusicVR in particular to understand the sort of thing we're aiming for.

In terms of actually producing music (or objects for that matter). As I've said before I reckon the best bet is just for us to do a trial proof of concept in the first place with something *very* simple in place. If you have a bit of music lying around already that you'd be happy to be put into this demo maybe that would actually  be a better bet rather than putting effort into something new without any clear idea where we are heading! If we can get something simple to work, we can then chat about what people might wish to see in something bigger and then  focus a bit more on what objects, music etc. would be worth building/developing.

Crossover only works on Intel Macs :/. One of the many joys of having an old computer.

It's possible to compile WINE on a Mac but I've never been able to get it to work.

Musically, the problem is I don't really have anything (at least not in the genre you're looking for), I'm interested in doing some ambient/electronic stuff but I just don't have anything prepared. So maybe it would be better for me to wait until you have the tech demo finished.
Profile PM 
CJJC Offline

Posted: Nov. 05 2010, 11:43

Quote (Matt @ Sep. 09 2010, 04:15)
Hmmm, I'm reminded of Brave new world from War of the Worlds here:

Matt: We'll build shops and hospitals and barracks  ... Everything we need - banks, prisons and schools  ... We'll build villages and towns ....

With just a handful of meeeeeeeen!

(sorry)

--------------
IMHO
Profile PM WEB 
MVR Superstar Offline

Posted: Nov. 13 2010, 09:53

I've uploaded an updated version of the bell, which used to have a load of unseen crazy geomatry, but thats gone now. I've just go to recreate the interior now.

--------------
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Posted: Nov. 13 2010, 11:03

MVR Superstar is referring to the dropbox account. Not much on it yet but if anyone wants access please just PM me an E-mail address and I'll add you!

--------------
Profile PM 
MVR Superstar Offline

Posted: Nov. 13 2010, 11:45

yes, sorry I didn't mention that.

--------------
Profile PM 
MVR Superstar Offline

Posted: Nov. 18 2010, 14:27

I've uploaded an icon test i'm pretty proud of to the dropbox (one .ico file so you can see the result straight away and the original png file to put in the Unity project if/when we get round to another build).

--------------
Profile PM 
MVR Superstar Offline

Posted: Nov. 26 2010, 16:38

Uploaded a unity test to the dropbox, using some standard bits and pieces and a walking model from blender, plus a blimp I made myself (I know theres a problem with the fins on the back, its because they are made up of only one face, and unity only shows one side of a face). I'm just thiking out loud here, so dont feel the need to download it if you don't really care  :D. If you do, don't be shy to ask Matt to add you to the dropbox, and hopefully we can persuade you to get more involved  ;) .

--------------
Profile PM 
MVR Superstar Offline

Posted: Dec. 04 2010, 17:25

Made small change to the icon test png, it had a white outline problem before, hopefully that is fixed, it just needed a separate alpha channel.

--------------
Profile PM 
50 replies since Sep. 06 2010, 12:01 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net