Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: TSODE Ranked #43 in Science Fiction Album List< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: May 01 2012, 12:44

The io9.com daily web publication covering science, science fiction, and the future has published a list of 100 Albums Every Science Fiction and Fantasy Fan Should Listen To with The Songs of Distance Earth coming at at No. 43. Click here for more information.

43. Mike Oldfield - Songs of Distant Earth (1994). "It's tempting to include Oldfield's landmark Tubular Bells, from the Exorcist soundtrack, instead. But this later album is based on the Arthur C. Clarke book of the same name, and it's even more atmospheric — and much more emotional and multi-layered. You need to listen to this electronic soundscape many times to get all the cosmic stuff that's going on. As MrMilano writes over at Discogs.com, "You truly travel to another dimension when listening to [it]. I only play it on special occasions, such as on an expedition to the Teotihuacan Pyramids outside Mexico City, and this is a CD I always give new friends as a gift." - CJA"  Thanks, Elf!

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: May 01 2012, 21:13

Of course, after looking at the other albums (heh, even before looking at them), I think that TSODE should have been MUCH higher up in the listing.....No. 1 would not have been out of the question. And for someone to vacillate between TB and TSODE is just odd. I suppose there is a fine line between horror and SciFi (though I didn't think THAT fine), but hmm. Perhaps they both should have been listed. TB would have been a good #43 and TSODE would have been an appropriate #1.  :p

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
Black Bunik Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 02 2012, 07:25

After listening to some of those above TSODE, I agree it should be much higher. Some of them don't even resemble Sci-Fi music.
And why Yoko Kano's Cowboy beebob soundtrack? She has much better sci-fi sounding music composed for Ghost in the Shell.
And what is so sci-fi about Dark Side of the moon? It's a great peace, but I never asociated it with Sci-fi.
Imho this list is totally off it's topic.

Or maybe I missed the point and it's a list of music somehow somewhere sometime asociated with Sci-Fi instead of sounding like it... dunno.
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: May 04 2012, 09:18

AFAIK the list was entirely based on response over Facebook and Twitter when they asked for suggestions of Sci-Fi / Fantasy related albums. I suggested TSODE.
Profile PM 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: May 05 2012, 04:54

I don't think, as has been suggested, that the list is supposed to be sci-fi music, rather that fans of sci-fi and/or fantasy would like the music on the list. I'll be following up some of the records on there, I'm always really keen to hear new tunes.

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

www.andrewtaylor.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
TEP Offline

Posted: May 10 2012, 07:30

I love TSODE, but "much more emotional and multi-layered" than Tubular Bells?? No!
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: May 10 2012, 09:13

I agree TEP ..... I also find the tunes of TB amongst the most incredibly moving ever composed and one of the main reasons for its astounding success !  :)

The fact that TB is so familiar now coming up to its 40th birthday is the reason so many fail to appreciate this.
Profile PM 
6 replies since May 01 2012, 12:44 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net