no 128  [93.43%]
Guests cannot vote
Pages: (7) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Treslunas best ever mike album?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
moonchildhippy Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 31 2005, 19:20

I like Tr3s Lunas but not as much as Ommadawn TB 1 and 3 or TSODE and Voyager and Incantations, but it is still good :)  :) .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Feb. 01 2005, 01:04

I'll say "it's alright". It doesn't set my world on fire (it isn't really meant to), but neither does it move me like TSODE does. The exceptions are Return to the Origin and No Man's Land (reprise), I really really love these tracks. I find the rest pleasant, so it's no-where near being a bad album in my book. If this is 'lift music', then I like that lift! :) However, if it didn't have To be Free, I would like it quite a bit more.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Feb. 01 2005, 04:21

I've been conducting a personal experiment with this poll - waiting to see if there was ever a day when I thought maybe yes, it is. And today (having listened to it again yesterday) I thought 'dammit, today I believe it is!' So at last I voted yes.

But truly, I simply can't separate the music from the game, so really this is a vote for MVR!!!
Profile PM 
karlglanville Offline

Posted: Feb. 11 2005, 15:18

A good album, however many previous albums are much better. I am a Five Miles Out freak!
After TB2, MO`s sound is less "rock" then before, Tres Lunas being a fine example of MO`s music being suited to nowadays synthesizer tunes.
Rock  being simply more appealing and prestigious, with these kind of albums (though still good quality), Mike can never better his 70`s and 80`s releases.
Profile PM 
Daddybird Offline

Posted: Mar. 22 2005, 14:51

I think it's a disappointment! :/
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Mar. 22 2005, 18:53

As an avid player of MVR, the album does kep bringing me back to that landscape.

i had to vote "no" because TSODE and Ommadawn and qe2 and amarok exist.

The album IS flawed, based on small loops that work extremely well in the game, but are stretched too far in the album context. The "musak" label is not relevant here, Mike has still put a lot of effort into this album, and it does require some listening. Musak is designed to be background and innoffensive.

To Be Free sucks though.

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Baggiesfaninessex Offline

Posted: Mar. 28 2005, 06:35

A decent measure for me, as to whether I consider an album 'one of the best' or not, is how long it stays on the shelf after the initial excitement of the first dozen of so spins on the CD player.

Unfortunately, using this as a measure of my opinion of the album, Tr3s Lunas does not fare well. I have not played it for at least 2 years. Yet I played Ommadawn (again) 2 nights ago!  ;)

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
Chicular Offline

Posted: April 08 2005, 12:02

I don't think it's his best album, i still listen to it from time to time though.  I think it was produced well.  My fave Mike Oldfield album at the moment is TSODE.  Hopefully in a few months my fave will be his new hotly anticipated album :)
Profile PM 
Navaira Offline

Posted: April 12 2005, 04:13

Quote (hiawatha @ Dec. 07 2004, 09:55)
I've never disposed of an Oldfield release. At this time, I can't think of an album or song I'd rather he'd not done at all.

I returned "Voyager". And I never bought "Guitars" and "Millennium Bull" but if I got them as gifts I could be tempted very easily to exchange them for something listenable.

--------------
http://www.raygrant.com :: My album 'Exorcism' is out on iTunes now
Profile PM WEB 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: April 12 2005, 09:51

Hmm. The best? Or the worst?

At first I thought this album was the worst thing I'd heard yet from Mike. But then I remembered something that I do keep forgetting every time I get a new album from him: He makes music to please himself. If everyone else happens to like it, then so much the better. At least that's the impression I've recieved.

And good luck to him. In the approach he's created some wonderfully beautiful and expressive works - TSODE, TB I,II,III, Ommadawn, QE2, Crises - the list goes on. The main reason I realised why this album dissapointed me at first is because it's not got the same feel, the same Oldfieldyness. It's not got these long complicated riffs or magical composition. But maybe that was precicely the intention - because we all know that when we listen to his music, we don't just have it on in the background, we really get into it and enjoy it. Being a chill-out album, you just can't do that.

Just a few thoughts of mine.

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
maria Offline

Posted: April 12 2005, 18:33

i haven't voted on this poll yet because i can't say if it's the best or not. i think it's something completely different to what he had released before and more similar (but still quite different) to the latter maestro, so it's easier for me to compare tr3s lunas and maestro.
i can't think just about the music avoiding the images in tr3s lunas. more the opposite, the music in the disc could be the colourful gate into the thing's core, where there's really some gorgeous music like the 'owl's flight' or 'sprites', or 'redwings' or 'no man's land'...

Quote (arron11196 @ April 12 2005, 15:51)
The main reason I realised why this album dissapointed me at first is because it's not got the same feel, the same Oldfieldyness. It's not got these long complicated riffs or magical composition. But maybe that was precicely the intention - because we all know that when we listen to his music, we don't just have it on in the background, we really get into it and enjoy it. Being a chill-out album, you just can't do that.

i agree with u that the feeling with tr3s lunas is very different to with any other of his compositions, and i think u are right and that may be the intention as the music is somehow the background for the images. although there are moments in which the music becomes the most important and the images are the background. well, they interact and share importance in the game... both aspects, music and visuals, are complementary. i don't know what was first, the hen or the egg, but for my experience with the game what i feel is that both grow one around the other.. or something like that..

so i won't vote until there's a third episode with new music and i can compare it with tr3s lunas :)

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 
Alan D Offline

Posted: April 13 2005, 05:08

María's brought to a focus something that I've felt uncertain about, myself. Part of me wants to say that Tr3s Lunas is the best thing he's done, while other parts of me say that's absurd.

I now see the reason for this. María is right. The music isn't just music - it's part of a musical-visual work of art that's manipulated and controlled to quite a large degree by the viewer/player/listener. Playing MVR is a potentially perception-changing activity. The music becomes inextricably associated with remembered images and is forever changed.

What this means is that someone who listens to Tr3s Lunas who hasn't been soaked in MVR is simply not having the same experience as someone who has. The playing field isn't level. What some people are (genuinely) experiencing as rather vacuous chillout music, others are (equally genuinely) experiencing what may be Mike Oldfield's most imaginative, life-enhancing contribution so far.
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: April 13 2005, 09:54

Quote (Alan D @ April 13 2005, 05:08)
María's brought to a focus something that I've felt uncertain about, myself. Part of me wants to say that Tr3s Lunas is the best thing he's done, while other parts of me say that's absurd.

I now see the reason for this. María is right. The music isn't just music - it's part of a musical-visual work of art that's manipulated and controlled to quite a large degree by the viewer/player/listener. Playing MVR is a potentially perception-changing activity. The music becomes inextricably associated with remembered images and is forever changed.

What this means is that someone who listens to Tr3s Lunas who hasn't been soaked in MVR is simply not having the same experience as someone who has. The playing field isn't level. What some people are (genuinely) experiencing as rather vacuous chillout music, others are (equally genuinely) experiencing what may be Mike Oldfield's most imaginative, life-enhancing contribution so far.

Absolutely. Being the cagey minded-person that I am, I don't want anything to detract from the feel of the music itself. I purposely haven't bought the Tubular Bells II and III live concerts - because I feel that if ever I wanted to just listen to the music it wouldn't be the same as when watching it on DVD.

Perhaps it was wrong of me to buy Tr3s Lunas. Especially considering there's supposed to be another 15 or something tracks that I can't listen to 'cause they're all in the game. But then again, I am a completist.

Oh well. Never mind. It is nice to know that at least someone knows what I'm on about - I don't know anyone else in person that is a fan like me and it's good to discuss in this arena.  :)

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: April 13 2005, 11:51

Quote (arron11196 @ April 13 2005, 14:54)
Perhaps it was wrong of me to buy Tr3s Lunas. Especially considering there's supposed to be another 15 or something tracks that I can't listen to 'cause they're all in the game.

But you can, my friend. You can download a wonderful 45 minute compilation called 'Return to the Origin', mixed by Marcus Junglas, and available HERE. And if you like that, you'll be pleased to know that another (very different) version is also available, called Tr3s Lunas2, mixed  by a gentleman called Brandon Blume.

But really - don't be so quick to rule out playing the game. It won't spoil the music in any way - it will enhance it beyond measure. Tr3s Lunas as conceived by Mike Oldfield is a composite work of art, like ... well, rather like William Blake's illuminated poems. You can read only the words without the visual imagery, and most people do just that; but Blake intended you to enjoy a far richer feast. Same here.
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: April 13 2005, 16:56

True, true. Thanks for the link :) I think this whole thing will need more pondering.

Of course the next big thing to struggle with is...

Do I listen to music created by Oldfield mixed without his supervision.

I know I know. It's just music. If only that were it though - I've got another 8 albums to go yet - I don't want to be discouraged from the wonders left yet in store for me.

As for ruling out playing it... well I have played the demo of Maestro. Unfortunately, whilst I can see the approach, it just doesn't do it for me. Maybe I need to fully immerse myself in it, just as with every oldfield album to day (lol except, perhaps, Tr3s Lunas :) ) but I don't know. We shall see.

Thank you anyway for giving me your thoughts.

---

Ugh, just listened to said music... in a single VBR MP3!! Ugh.
Maybe I should hunt out the Brandon Blume version, but I tried that earlier today (who seriously extracts below 256kbps?? do you want to destroy the music or what??  :/ )

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: April 14 2005, 04:22

Quote (arron11196 @ April 13 2005, 21:56)
I have played the demo of Maestro. Unfortunately, whilst I can see the approach, it just doesn't do it for me.
It's worth pointing out that Maestro is very different to Tr3s Lunas. Maestro is largely silent, whereas in Tr3s Lunas there's music everywhere.
Ugh, just listened to said music... in a single CBR MP3!! Ugh.
However, given your response of 'Ugh' (to 'Return to the Origin' ), then I think you probably wouldn't get much from the game.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 14 2005, 04:54

Quote (arron11196 @ April 13 2005, 21:56)
who seriously extracts below 256kbps?? do you want to destroy the music or what??  :/

People who don't want to make a massive file, and who want to make it playable by the majority of people. People use the MP3 format for the same reason Mike wrote Music VR for Windows - because it's popular, so it reaches a wide audience.

I can't really agree that lower rates destroy the music. The artefacts can be intrusive on some material (I find it tends to gate rather harshly on percussive material), for example, and it tends to have more of an effect on the S component of the recording, eating away at the subtleties of the ambience, but especially at 160kbps and above, I find it listenable.

Anyway, this is going off topic - we can create a new discussion in the TubularTech area if you want to take it further.
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: April 14 2005, 05:56

Quote (Alan D @ April 13 2005, 16:51)
But really - don't be so quick to rule out playing the game. It won't spoil the music in any way - it will enhance it beyond measure. Tr3s Lunas as conceived by Mike Oldfield is a composite work of art, like ... well, rather like William Blake's illuminated poems. You can read only the words without the visual imagery, and most people do just that; but Blake intended you to enjoy a far richer feast. Same here.

So what your'e saying Alan is, that by playing the game, there's much more to Tr3s Lunas, than listening to the CD alone. Am I right?

I haven't downloaded the game, as my computer is a "Blue Peter" computer, held together with double sided sticky tape and empty washing up liquid bottles  :laugh: . It just about copes with Broadband.  I'm surprised it's  still working.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: April 14 2005, 06:30

Quote (Korgscrew @ April 14 2005, 04:54)
Anyway, this is going off topic - we can create a new discussion in the TubularTech area if you want to take it further.

Sure thing. Getting back to the original point - and I feel what should be my last contribution to this topic - because Tr3s Lunas is so much more than just music, I can't really consider it without playing the game. But to be honest, I have no burning desire to.

Oo, and to Alan D, hi there, no no no! I really like Return to the Origin music! I'm just one of these people that prefers to encode at higher bitrates tis all. There's lots of good music here - Viper, Return To The Origin, Tr3s Lunas, Misty, No Man's Land (both) Snow Cavern Flight, (Brandon Blume, bless him) etc.

The actual question is Tr3s Lunas the best ever mike album, not experience? No. Best Ever experience...? I withhold the right to comment until after (if) I play the game.

Thanks,

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: April 14 2005, 08:50

Quote (moonchildhippy @ April 14 2005, 10:56)
So what your'e saying Alan is, that by playing the game, there's much more to Tr3s Lunas, than listening to the CD alone. Am I right?

Yes. Much more. Even if you find you don't want to play the game much, there are certain experiences within the game that can transform the music for you, forever afterwards. Once you've flown down the snow cavern with Snowy the owl, or been carried by the firebeings to the island in the moonlight ... afterwards, when you hear the music alone, it will mean so much more.

Recently I've been trying to express some of my Tr3s Lunas experiences through different kinds of illustrated story, posted in the MVR club and on Tim and Richard's site - for example here:
In Search of Daliphants
and here:
The Blue Moth Awakes

My computer is quite a low specification with very basic graphics capability, so yours may be OK. Why not download the FREE TR3S LUNAS DEMO and see if it works?
Profile PM 
132 replies since July 07 2002, 03:17 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (7) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net