Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (9) < 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Tracklisting Released at mikeoldfield.de< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
familyjules Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 18 2005, 06:32

Quote (TubularBelle @ Aug. 17 2005, 22:57)
You mean the Banana Splits song?

Ba na na, Ba na na na, Ba na na na na na na na
One potato, two potato, three potato, four

Does anyone remember that song? I always thought they stole the chorus from Bob Dylans 'Buffalo Soldier'.

Yes I remember that song.  I also remember that it was Bob Marley that wrote Buffalo Soldier....which, incidentally came out about a decade after The Banana Splits!

Just call me Smarty Pants.

Jules...uh...sorry...Smarty Pants   :D

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Aug. 18 2005, 06:33

Quote (hiawatha @ Aug. 16 2005, 10:08)
You can even sing "Diana, Luna, Lucina" over and over for 330 times for one of the sections. (We'll be listening carefully to the results, too: so don't think you can get away with singing "Banana, la la la" instead!;).

You know that so fits the Diana tune that I'll have that in my head every time I play Incantations now.  So...uh...thanks, Hiawatha!   ;)  :D  :laugh:  :p  :)

--------------
Profile PM 
Woodhenge Offline

Posted: Aug. 18 2005, 07:13

The true about Oldfield music in the past:
MO was a innovator: TB, HR, O, KF.
MO make good albuns: Incantations, Amarok, TBII, TSODE.
The true about Oldfield music in the present:
Oldfield creativity is broken-down. He repets himself.
Reason:
Oldfield is a experimental musician: sometimes its result, sometimes not.
Solutions:
Oldfield needs to hear and learn more, even study, the modern erudit music (I think in The Killings Fields, yes) and all music not oldfieldian. And why not write music for others musicians, like Kronos Quartet, etc.?
Note:
Obviously, MO is free and make his way, but he can make much better.[/B][B][B]
Profile PM 
Navaira Offline

Posted: Aug. 18 2005, 08:59

Quote (Woodhenge @ Aug. 18 2005, 07:13)
MO was a innovator: TB, HR, O, KF.
MO make good albuns: Incantations, Amarok, TBII, TSODE.

Well, if Incantations and Amarok do not contain innovation, I will be very glad if you could point me to any similar albums so I could worship them too...

--------------
http://www.raygrant.com :: My album 'Exorcism' is out on iTunes now
Profile PM WEB 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Aug. 18 2005, 09:51

As much as I love it, I would not put "Amarok" in the "innovative" list at this time. It is rather like a triple-sized inflation of the idea of side one of "Ommadawn", with more themes to play around with (instead of just 3 or 4) and peppered with industrial/etc "noise". Someone can change my mind on this.

In contrast, I see innovation in TB, HR, and Incantations.

In regards to him "Repeating himself", my first impression about the two Polish radio MP3's of "Light and Shade" is that "Tr3s Lunas" and "Light and Shade" are more similar to each other than any previous pair of consecutive Oldfield albums.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Woodhenge Offline

Posted: Aug. 18 2005, 10:19

Well, if Incantations and Amarok do not contain innovation, I will be very glad if you could point me to any similar albums so I could worship them too...

I understand your point of view.

Amarok is a incredible work of imagination (from a single man), one of my favorites oldfieldian albuns, but is more like a «superb condensation» of Oldfield techniques, styles, innovations. Maybe it countains innovation, but not in structure or in classic terms; it countains some innovator elements - for the pop/rock field. It countains, for exemple, the influence of Bártok ou Stravinski - certainly, old influences of Mike.

About Incatations. The same thing. But the influences are, in this case, Reich, Glass, Riley.

I love Oldfield music. However, today, the influences of Mike are the new age and the chill-out music (but HR was proto-new age!!!, isn't it?). It's so sad!

(Sorry my english.)
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Aug. 18 2005, 15:45

Since 1993 or there abouts until now Mike's influences seem to have been Enigma, Cafe Del Mar, bland Euro trance and more Enigma judging by what his albums sound like. I'm sort of joking of course but also sort of not joking. There is an obvious influence there. If only he'd listen, or at least take on board, the much more sophisticated and creative melodic dance done by acts like Groove Armada, Lemon Jelly, Moby etc, etc. It seems ironic that all these acts are proud MUSICIANS first and foremost and keyboard, sequencer and drum box programers second. I'm sure they could well teach Mike a thing or two.
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Aug. 18 2005, 16:04

TSODE is one of the albums that can sound "dated" due to its embracing the long-gone "monk music" craze of the mid-early 1990s.

Still, I'd rather listen to Mike immitating Enimga than listen to Enigma.

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Aug. 18 2005, 16:32

good point!
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Aug. 18 2005, 16:35

Quote (familyjules @ Aug. 18 2005, 06:33)
You know that so fits the Diana tune that I'll have that in my head every time I play Incantations now.  So...uh...thanks, Hiawatha!   ;)  :D  :laugh:  :p  :)

I laughed out loud a couple of months ago when someone complained about that section of "Incantations" where someone sang "Canada" over and over and over.

If you want to REALLY ruin listening "Incantations", the "visit to the dentist" lyrics for "Queen and Huntress" are around here somewhere.

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Aug. 18 2005, 16:40

Quote (hiawatha @ Aug. 18 2005, 21:04)
TSODE is one of the albums that can sound "dated"

Well, you could say that Mozart sounds dated, but.... it hardly matters, surely? That's just the gloss on the surface that no artist can avoid because they're people of their time.
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Aug. 18 2005, 21:44

Quote (familyjules @ Aug. 18 2005, 06:32)
Quote (TubularBelle @ Aug. 17 2005, 22:57)
You mean the Banana Splits song?

Ba na na, Ba na na na, Ba na na na na na na na
One potato, two potato, three potato, four

Does anyone remember that song? I always thought they stole the chorus from Bob Dylans 'Buffalo Soldier'.

Yes I remember that song.  I also remember that it was Bob Marley that wrote Buffalo Soldier....which, incidentally came out about a decade after The Banana Splits!

Just call me Smarty Pants.

Jules...uh...sorry...Smarty Pants   :D

Of course it was Marley, not Dylan, I knew that, just a typing error.
I did not know the song came out about ten years later, I thought it was early 70's which is about the same time I was watching the Banana Splits on tele. Anyway, does that mean Bob stole it from them? Do you agree it sounds the same Smarty Pants!?

Am going to listen to Incantations now and sing Ba na na, la la la.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Aug. 19 2005, 04:52

Quote (TubularBelle @ Aug. 18 2005, 21:44)
Do you agree it sounds the same Smarty Pants!?

It does a bit, doesn't it?

Between you and Hiawatha, I may never hear my record collection in the same light again!  ;)

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Aug. 19 2005, 06:18

Quote (familyjules @ Aug. 19 2005, 04:52)
Between you and Hiawatha, I may never hear my record collection in the same light again!  ;)

Hiawatha started it!!!!!! :p

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Aug. 23 2005, 12:05

Light and Shade. Light and Shade....

I too have heard the snippets, and have been suitably impressed. In fact, as soon as I'd finished hearing them I had a huge smile on my face... yes, I thought, something else like Tr3s Lunas. I've yet to have that justified, but hey, that was my impression.

RE: Lack of talent: You produce something as good, after you've listened 10 times and have managed to find exactly what he's trying to tell you. As I often say here, most people worship the etherical space Ommadawn exists in, but it took me 10 or so listens just to even find it bearable. To each their own, yeah?

RE: Infinite creativity: As has everyone. The special ones are the ones who know how to effectively communicate that.

RE: Tired, bored, old, etc... Well, lets see now, 23 Albums?? That's more than some bands produce twice over, and he's only in his early 50's. Maybe he could take a looong holiday... retire. And I bet some people here would just F and Blind, and not thank the good man for the positive contributions he's made to our lives.

I also agree with the previous comment that going into the listening of a new album for the first time with preconceptions is dangerous. I did it with Tr3s Lunas, and it took me ages to get with it properly, much the same as with Ommadawn. But it's now it's my singly most played album besides the monumental works, forestalling even the mighty Crises or QE2.

My main point is... why are we doing this? Why are we venting all of this frustration on a virtual message board about how crap something supposedly is going to be? Are we going to achieve anything by doing it? Perhaps someone could enlighten me.

Disheartened fellow BB user, (at some fellow BB users)

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Aug. 23 2005, 12:48

Quote (arron11196 @ Aug. 23 2005, 12:05)
RE: Tired, bored, old, etc... Well, lets see now, 23 Albums?? That's more than some bands produce twice over, and he's only in his early 50's. Maybe he could take a looong holiday... retire. And I bet some people here would just F and Blind, and not thank the good man for the positive contributions he's made to our lives.

I just hope he doesn't have a 3 year wait between every album from now on.

Remember Genesis? They broke up apparently because the strain of producing one album every six years was just too much! Now that is tired.

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Aug. 23 2005, 12:59

Quote (familyjules @ Aug. 19 2005, 04:52)
Quote (TubularBelle @ Aug. 18 2005, 21:44)
Do you agree it sounds the same Smarty Pants!?

It does a bit, doesn't it?

Jules

Here's a classic to ruin for you:

Remember the "Finale" from Camille Saint-Saens' "Carnival of the Animals"? Notice how similar it is to a fast version of "One Eyed, One Horned, Flying Purple People Eater".

Now I can't remove the words from "Carnival".

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
cjm Offline

Posted: Aug. 23 2005, 16:33

I just received an email update from Gary Davis at The Artist Shop listing a future import release of "Light and Shade" that includes two bonus tracks.  It will be interesting to find out what those are -- perhaps the two "missing" tracks of the 18 that Mike originally mentioned at his website?

The Artist Shop
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Aug. 24 2005, 05:07

Quote (hiawatha @ Aug. 23 2005, 12:59)
Here's a classic to ruin for you:

Remember the "Finale" from Camille Saint-Saens' "Carnival of the Animals"? Notice how similar it is to a fast version of "One Eyed, One Horned, Flying Purple People Eater".

Now I can't remove the words from "Carnival".

Well you can't spoil that one for me, H - I've never heard of it!

:cool:

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Aug. 24 2005, 07:13

Quote (arron11196 @ Aug. 23 2005, 17:05)
going into the listening of a new album for the first time with preconceptions is dangerous. I did it with Tr3s Lunas, and it took me ages to get with it properly, much the same as with Ommadawn. But it's now it's my singly most played album besides the monumental works, forestalling even the mighty Crises or QE2.

Reading this - and indeed the rest of your post - was like .... like .... ah, I have it: like sunlight shining through clouds.
Thanks.
Profile PM 
162 replies since Aug. 10 2005, 17:22 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (9) < 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net