Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (9) < 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Tracklisting Released at mikeoldfield.de< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
TOBY Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 13 2005, 12:07

Cool. Now lets all hope the new album is indeed good and full of all the stuff we love about Mike's music.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Aug. 13 2005, 12:17

Quote (TOBY @ Aug. 13 2005, 17:07)
Cool. Now lets all hope the new album is indeed good and full of all the stuff we love about Mike's music.

Yes Please.

And let's also hope that there's nothing on it about Picasso.  ;)
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Aug. 13 2005, 14:28

Quote (Ian Too @ Aug. 13 2005, 15:57)
To those of you who wish Mike wouldn't use computers and take a more traditional approach, I think Mike is always going to disappoint you.

I have been a fan since 1980 and the impression I get from having read all those interviews over the years is that Mike isn't a traditionalist in that sense at all. As far as I can tell, Mike doesn't care how the sound is created, as long as it achieves what he intended. I cannot tell you how many times I've heard the disappointment of people on hearing that he recorded some peices of Tubular Bells at half speed, because he couldn't play them full tilt - and he did this at the earliest oppertunity...

I think this observation is spot on. Mike has never been the rock musician that many people would obviously like him to be. He has his own ethic as far as creating music is concerned, and we can only choose to take or leave what he has to offer.
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Aug. 13 2005, 15:21

Please lets just leave Mike and his musical choices alone, it's getting so boring and negative, if you don't like it, do one of two things, either listen to someone else, or make your own music!!!!.
Profile PM 
Anne in the Rain Offline

Posted: Aug. 13 2005, 15:42

MikeOldfield.com has been updated. There's an English version of the article from the German website and some photos. Mp3 samples & album cover coming soon...
Profile PM 
Ricky Bling Offline

Posted: Aug. 13 2005, 16:44

How nice is it that a discussion between fans of an artist on an Internet forum, has had some really intelligent argument without anyone resorting to name calling or blind rage. Both sides of the argument have made some really interesting points and covered picasso and mozart on the way. Well done us! It certainly beats "XYZ sux." "no he doesn't ur a loser".

Mike Oldfield fans once again prove themselves to be the most articulate and passionate of any out there - and also possibly the most attractive!
Profile PM 
James Offline

Posted: Aug. 13 2005, 17:10

The (NEW TRACK 2)Well I think its completely brill beautiful piano trills atmospheric and theme well quite ghostly and emotive.I can't be the only one here who instantly likes it?

The backing singers sound a little stiff but they would wouldn't they , I like their concept and they sit in the mix nicely Their virtual existence kind of adds to the melancholy land that unfolds before.

Listen to the bass playing its like Mike of old playing themes and lead bass he aint done that in a while and with his Tres Lunas /TSODE Production gloss he's long adopted it sounds sublime despite the mp3 encoding quality.

There is too much banal bickering here for me and its getting off topic a bit
Just like it... like it ......or u can even lump it see there is not a problem.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Aug. 13 2005, 17:58

I owe an apology to Mike here - the part about the piano being his last instrument was the result of a mistranslation into German by Universal, not any fuzzy language on Mike's part. His original words, from mikeoldfield.com were "I wanted a track with just piano, using one of the last surviving acoustic instruments, my 1928 Steinway."

The part we reported about the album being recorded entirely with a PC using FL was also inaccurate - he also used his Mac running Logic.

Anyone who's read the German version (or a translation from it, such as Baum's excellent attempt at making sense of what at times verged on nonsense) would do well to go back and read the English original - there are numerous details which they've either mistranslated or just failed to include altogether. A big boo to Universal Germany!
Profile PM 
sarujuu Offline

Posted: Aug. 14 2005, 05:11

Cover of Light and Shade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums....ada.jpg :D
http://photobucket.com/albums....a_3.jpg

Source : http://www.taurusiv.net/blog/
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Aug. 14 2005, 05:28

By the way, those links that saruju provided are ones made by a fan. They have already been posted here.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Aug. 14 2005, 08:08

Yes, I just wanted to say the same thing as Ricky, how wonderfully nice Mike Oldfield fans are taking discussions here without flaming people. :)

I know some examples (particularly the JM Jarre forum) where you just get flamed for saying one wrong thing. Some people are just pathetic.

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Aug. 14 2005, 14:28

Yes and Mike should be proud too, we're altogether a better class of fan here at tubular.net. Although he did supposedly close down the forums at MO.com because of abusive fans. However I think it was actually to do with fans discussing his private life rather than fans bad mouthing any of his work. There have been some fairly abusive 'fans' here though over the years but they don't last long. I think its got more to do with how well these boards are moderated as much as anything else, a big nod to the folks at the top.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Aug. 14 2005, 14:35

Quote (Blue Dolphin @ Aug. 14 2005, 09:08)
Yes, I just wanted to say the same thing as Ricky, how wonderfully nice Mike Oldfield fans are taking discussions here without flaming people. :)

I know some examples (particularly the JM Jarre forum) where you just get flamed for saying one wrong thing. Some people are just pathetic.

Me also,here thereĀ“s RESPECT while on some other forums is a thingie that most people don't have.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Aug. 14 2005, 15:15

I'm glad no one noticed what was going on behind the scenes. (Toby walloped me with a bike saddle, and I rapped his shins with a pair of handlebars.)
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Aug. 14 2005, 22:42

After reading the official interview in Mikes own words I feel the urge to retract a lot of what I have said in other posts because I was influenced by statements which were not accurate as Korgscrew has said. I was under the impression that Mike did not even own a guitar anymore! and was relying solely on machinery!

I still believe he is way too influenced or distracted by the newest and the best, in a way that anything created 6 months ago is obsolete. I am heartened to read that he did actually WANT to create another long and complicated piece in the range of TB and Amarok but simply felt it would sound dated and Mike can't have that, I totally respect that reasoning. It's funny, because I have become disillusioned with other artists who have, once reaching a certain level of notoriety turned their backs on their fans to create music that pleases only themselves and can sometimes be too self indulgant to be successfully shared, (Tori Amos comes to mind). Mike has gone the way of wanting to be original by having the newest and best equipment and therefore being able to create the newest and best sounds and that is wonderful, but it is sad for me because his originality use to come from his heart and that is what I prefer. A combination of the two is possibly the best scenario, because it is 2005 after all and not everyone wants more of the same. It is our choice still whether to play the new album on our stereos day after day or whether to stick with the ones that we know and love the best. Once we have bought and paid for it I doubt Mike or anyone cares how often we play it. After reading the article in Mikes own words however, I do now believe that Mike still puts his heart into what he is creating and STILL plays traditional instruments. I was never concerned about not liking the new album, I was only concerned about losing the person that has created such masterpieces to his own self indulgance. He will obviously never again sit in a house on top of a Ridge and create music from the most basic level of consciousness, that is so 70's and that is where it will stay. If it doesn't matter to him that his 'true' fans will always prefer the creations from those times to what he is doing now, then we must accept that. He is not here to serve us and we are still very fortunate to have him sharing anything with us, many artists have retired by his age or certainly are not releasing a new album every 18 months on average. I applaud his 'hip' ideas and inventiveness, I applaud and accept that he has been using technology to create music since 1973, I simply mourn the loss of a less egotistical mind.

Tracy.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
Navaira Offline

Posted: Aug. 16 2005, 06:37

I always felt that a true artist shouldn't care about what fans think. Of course that could be called egoism, but -- an artist doesn't "owe" fans anything. In my perfect world an artist has only one person to satisfy -- him/herself.

Fans will always complain -- if the artists reinvent themselves it will be about "destroying their legacy and betraying the fans", if they don't -- it will be about "not being able to think of anything new". And that's why fans should be ignored. :)

Having said that, why don't we capture Mike, lock him in some basement with shitloads of non-Flimsy Loopy instruments and force him to record Incantations II before he's allowed to see his bikes again? :D

--------------
http://www.raygrant.com :: My album 'Exorcism' is out on iTunes now
Profile PM WEB 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Aug. 16 2005, 08:47

Can I be locked in there with him please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
Anne in the Rain Offline

Posted: Aug. 16 2005, 09:16

Quote (Navaira @ Aug. 16 2005, 06:37)
I always felt that a true artist shouldn't care about what fans think. Of course that could be called egoism, but -- an artist doesn't "owe" fans anything. In my perfect world an artist has only one person to satisfy -- him/herself.

Artists have to satisfy their record labels first of all these days :(
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Aug. 16 2005, 10:08

Quote (TubularBelle @ Aug. 16 2005, 08:47)
Can I be locked in there with him please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As long as you do not distract him from the task of the 24-disc musical epic "Incantations II", that is fine. You can even sing "Diana, Luna, Lucina" over and over for 330 times for one of the sections. (We'll be listening carefully to the results, too: so don't think you can get away with singing "Banana, la la la" instead!;).

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Aug. 17 2005, 22:57

You mean the Banana Splits song?

Ba na na, Ba na na na, Ba na na na na na na na
One potato, two potato, three potato, four

Does anyone remember that song? I always thought they stole the chorus from Bob Dylans 'Buffalo Soldier'.

--------------
Profile PM 
162 replies since Aug. 10 2005, 17:22 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (9) < 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net