Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Track By Track Opinion< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Baggiesfaninessex Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 28 2005, 12:21

Thanks to a question asked on another thread by EeToN, I decided to dig Guitars out this afternoon and listen again to album, which primarily has always disappointed me. Here are my thoughts:

Muse - Beautiful start to the album. I adore that guitar sound and the melody is spot on. Soft, tender and so reminiscent of another favourite guitarist of mine, Stephen Caudel (check him out for yourself with some mp3 samples - I'm sure you won't be disappointed).

Cochise - More standard MO fare and reminds me too much of other output I consider mediocre as is displayed on Tr3s Lunas and MB. Nothing special yet not offensive to the ears either.

Embers - This improves as the track proceeds, although the atmospherics in the background just don't work for me. However, the richness and depth in the guitar from 1 minute 43 and toward the end of the track, is superb.

Summit Day - A nice build up but nothing more to say. Doesn't stand out for me at all. Forgettable.

Out of Sight - This immediately grabbed me by the balls and refused to let go. It stands out immediately following the mediocrity of the previous track. The guitar work displays testicular fortitude at its finest.  ;)

B. Blues - This would've been so much better without the metronomic tick-tock in the background. The moody, bitter-sweet guitar work is some of the finest on the album and reminds me of some of the blues lead licks he performed with Kevin Ayres over 20 years earlier.

Four Winds - This makes a promising start with Shadow on the Wall-esque riffs followed by Piltdown Man style lead guitar lines. Then it stops dead.  :/ The next part is reminiscent of those nice instrumental B sides such as Jungle Gardenia. Sweet but not striking. There is then a much smoother transition into an eastern style, rhythmic work-out, which promises much but ultimately fails to deliver anything of real substance or beauty. Finally, there's a clumsy transition into a spaghetti western soundtrack. Again, quite nice but nothing special I'm afraid, apart from a few lead guitar fills to save the day.

Four quite good ideas in 9 and a half minutes. However, whereas the structural changes in TB1 and Ommadawn are exciting  and, at times, paradoxical, Four Winds suffers in my opinion in the same way as Amarok, where the segments sound as though they are cut and paste together.  :/ It just doesn't go anywhere in the end and fails to take this listener on any sort of a journey.

Enigmatism - Ironic that this track should follow the previous puzzling offering. This is beautiful. I love the manner in which the lead guitar and the bass share the melody. Then the gorgeous guitar synth underpins it all, coming to the fore in the chorus. It gets even better when the chorus appears for the second time and the guitar synth is joined in harmony by the lead guitar. The best track on the album.

Out of Mind - This takes a very surprising twist after just 30 seconds - another 'grab you by the throat' moment harkening back to his earlier works in the 70s. This rocks and is the most anthemic track on the album.

From the Ashes - The album more or less finishes where it started with a lovely guitar melody. The chord and tone change 1 and a half minutes in is wonderful but then it finishes far too soon and the climax is all too contrived for my liking.

Well, that's about it for now. I'm glad I took the time to listen again after a few years; there is certainly some great work on there that deserves more attention. There is nothing I would consider bad about the album at all; frustrating maybe, especially Four Winds which is the the longest track and one which I would've expected to get more from. I have used the word 'nice' in a few tracks. That's because there is no better word I could think of; 'nice' sums up that the track isn't bad but can come across quite bland and ordinary.

On the positive side, Muse, Out of Sight, B.Blues, Enigmatism and Out of Mind show enough for me to admit that my earlier, more dismissive comments of the album 3 years ago, may have been a little harsh.  :)

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Mar. 28 2005, 16:24

Ooh, nifty! There's the opportunity for me to do some sort of track-by-track review, just like I did with TB2003. Now that someone else did it, I won't sound egocentrical having my own try! Let's see...

1- Muse (B) - Eh, this is just plainly generic. Nothing here tells me it was MIKE OLDFIELD who wrote the melody, and I could perfectly think it was taken from a book of guitar exercises. I like Mike's music for its idiosyncratic beauty, not this.

2- Cochise (A) - Better, already. I laughed when read that the song was based on "Whole Lotta Love" (I mean... really! ), but at least he managed to take that prototype of a melody from the GODAWFUL "Jewel In The Crown" and make something quite cool with it. I like the rhythm.

3- Embers (A-) - Eee, quite beautiful, but nothing much more. Would work wonders if inserted in a bigger work, but as a "standalone", it's also good. I could DEFINITELY do without the MIDI guitar, though - stupid, stupid gimmick.

4- Summit Day (A) - Oh, I really like this one. The melody is good, and structurally, this is pretty much "Fake Plastic Trees". I guess that's why I like it so much...

5- Out Of Sight (C ) - Ridiculous - from the "When The Levee Breaks" samples to the AWFUL, AWFUL, DETESTABLE buzzy distorted guitar. Come on, does Mike really think that's "rock 'n' roll dude"? It's the very definition of an old fella trying to sound young and cool, even more clumsily than Bono. Worthless riff, too.

6- B. Blues (C+) - Oh, please. I pretty much don't need to say anything else, but I should. Oh, I just won't, I'd just start snickering uncontrollably.

7- Four Winds (B-) - Do NOT compare this to Amarok, really! While the transitions may feel equally clumsy to some people, the two compositions are opposites. This is NOTHING but four incomplete ideas slammed against each other in a "okay, let's see if this works" manner. Amarok is not like that, but I digress. Even though none of these four parts is offensive, they're all quite worthless - the "rockin'" part is just as stupid as "Out Of Sight", the "gentle" part is nice but forgettable, the "Indian" (snicker) part has a cool solo, and the "Shadows" part is... heh.

8- Enigmatism (B+) - I keep forgetting how this one goes, but I remember it's pretty good. Atmosphere and atmosphere, yes, but nothing much more. And in an album like this, I need more substance - "Embers" was atmospheric enough already. Still kinda nice.

9- Out Of Mind (A+) - Oh, well, this one I like. The "Tribute to the Rolling Stones" thing doesn't sound ridiculous, and the song DOES remind me of the Stones, in a good way. Good melody, and some actually good guitar and drum sounds. Great twists here and there, too. The switch from acoustic to electric at the start is a nice touch.

10- From The Ashes (B-) - Pff... The last thing I need is a "conceptual" reprise. Why? This is no concept album, for goodness's sake. Gimmicky, doesn't add anything new, and he would actually repeat the gimmick in Tr3s Lunas. Why? Just why?

In the end, the album is just mediocre, but not bad. Most songs are listenable, and some are really enjoyable. I wouldn't say I like it - my reaction to it is "meh". But when I consider the horror that came after this album, I actually feel a little better about it. Overall, this would get a B-, or maybe a B.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: Mar. 28 2005, 17:27

Great stuff Sir Mustapha. Good to see how our opinions differ so much. I was also really amused by your scoring; only because I had considered doing something similar but thought others might consider me too self-indulgent. I will know better next time and simply get on with it! Lol  :cool:

Thanks for your reply!   :)

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Mar. 28 2005, 18:47

It's great to read your opinions about Guitars. It's quite hard for me to write a similar track by track review because I love practically every seconds of the album but I'll maybe try to write down why. :)

BTW, as you like quite different tracks/aspects of Guitars, it seems to me that it's one of Mike's most controversial albums - I don't know if there are Oldfield fans who truly hate Guitars but everyone seems to find his/her own favourite moments on the album. I'm fortunate that to me this moment is 42 minutes long. ;)

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Mar. 29 2005, 08:33

After having just finished listening to the album (barely a minute ago actually), I now feel qualified to give my opinions:

Muse: I am totally in love with this track. Sir M is right that it might not sound too much like Mike, but when I find it so emotive and passionate I really don't care about that. A+

Cochise: Nothing about this track particularly interests me. C

Embers: I do like the melody and the quite atmospheric mood of this track. It doesn't really go anywhere for me though, a bit more development would be nice. B

Summit Day: Another melody I really like, and the long development as well. Perhaps my only complaint is that the big ending could do with a nicer guitar tone. It's a minor complaint. A-

Out of Site: The guitar tone is a major complaint here for me. The melody doesn't grab me at all, and it's not actually all that energetic to my ears. C-

B. Blues: Nicer tone this time, but I find it drags a bit. C

Four Winds: I thought of something while I was listening to this: I can hear no difference between the 'fragmented nature' of this piece and the fragmented nature of Tubular Bells part 1. It's the same sort of situation, I think, and the four ideas here have the same relationship to each other as the Tubular Bells sections do :none whatsoever. Getting to the actual music now, my favourite part is probably the second one, I like the melody. I find the rest enjoyable also.  B

Enigmatism: I also quite like this one. Similar mood to Embers, and an alright tune. B

Out of Mind: Rock on! This one does give me that energy. Is it just me, or is there more than a little of that fun and humour from his earlier works in this track? The sudden entry of the distorted electric seems to me to have the same spirit as the start of Amarok. A

From the Ashes: I wonder as to the need for this track. Out of Mind seems like the perfect ending to me. It's still nice. C

Overall, I think I like enough tracks for me to give this a B, and I absolutely worship Muse. And yes, it is fun to do this sort of track-by-track thing. I should start doing some more.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 

Posted: Mar. 29 2005, 10:11

Nice work Raven  :) As I mentioned in my reply to Sir M, our differences of opinion really interest me and it makes it all the more meaningful with a track by track analysis.

--------------
Profile PM 

Posted: Mar. 29 2005, 10:46

Quote (raven4x4x @ Mar. 29 2005, 08:33)
Four Winds: I thought of something while I was listening to this: I can hear no difference between the 'fragmented nature' of this piece and the fragmented nature of Tubular Bells part 1. It's the same sort of situation, I think, and the four ideas here have the same relationship to each other as the Tubular Bells sections do :none whatsoever.

Cough...splutter.....choke....what? :O

Dare I say that is like comparing a Brookland Valley Cabernet Merlot to a Dom Perignon Champagne ;) . Perhaps one's age is a factor when it comes to a nostalgic love of TB1 but it totally broke the mould when released and became the 3rd biggest selling album of the 70s here in the UK. In comparison, Guitars barely troubled the charts here peaking at No.40.

Now I know that commercial success is not a prerequisite to personally consider an album great. However, with 26 years between them and a myriad of studio trickery and technology available to him when Guitars was recorded, I feel this simply shows what a massive achievement TB1 was at the time.

I also think that your statement generalises TB1 far too much. Many themes in TB1 relate to each other. Themes reappear throughout TB1, sometimes in the foreground and often in the background. TB1 actually takes this listener on a journey, culminating in the discovery of Tubular Bells following the MC's introduction of various instruments. A massive climax - each time I hear the crash of the first Tubular Bell, the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. The same cannot be said for Four Winds I'm afraid.  :/

--------------
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Mar. 29 2005, 17:10

As I am a teacher, I use Italian school votes here. They go from 1 to 10 (1, which is never used, is the worst, 6 is average, 10 is the best).
Sorry for putting in very short judgements, but I normally find it difficult to explain with words the feelings I get when listening to music, and this is especially true for short pieces.

Everything that follows is, of course, my own opinion.

Muse: 5, although I like to play along with it. It's far too simple.

Cochise: 6. Interesting guitar sounds, but the piece per se is nothing.

Embers: 7+. C'mon, you can blame me for liking New Age music :), but I love this one.

Summit day: 8. Very good melody, very good sounds. Another one I usually play along with. Plus, Allan Naeslund did a wonderful remix of this.

Out of sight: 8 and a half. The rocky side of Oldfield. (Also see "Out of mind", later on.) I really love his heavily distorted playing, which shows its best here.

B. Blues: 5. Sorry to disagree entirely with you, T4, but I can't really find anything in this. Too static, too motionless. And yet I love blues guitar... :)

Four winds - Since this has four very different parts, I give them separate votes below.

North wind: 7+. Almost perfect; see "Out of sight" above. It's a shame that it's so short.

South wind: 8. See "Embers" above.

East wind: 4. Really bad, I cannot hear any melody. If Mike was looking for something 'Indian', he failed.

West wind: 8. I love Morricone's western movie themes, so I love this one.

Enigmatism: 8. Really fascinating in its musical undeterminedness - it goes everywhere and at the same time it doesn't go anywhere. Charming.

Out of mind: 9-. A masterpiece, spoiled by those drums... AFAIK this is supposed to be a rock track, not a dance one!!! :D Or isn't it?

From the ashes: 6+. Yes, it's useless, but I like the way it ends.

My overall vote for the album is 7+. It's certainly not for casual listeners, and even hardcore Oldfieldians like me may find it a bit weird. But I think it grows on the listener.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Mar. 29 2005, 19:06

I love Guitars because it has all the Oldfieldish elements I love in his music: great melodies, beautiful atmospheres, his fantastic interpretation of styles and variety: it contains both energetic and atmospheric tracks.

My scale is the same as Ugo's.

Muse (8): Beautiful album-starting track. It has charming atmosphere. IMHO the melody is not that simple as it seems to be, I don't know too many musicians who are capable for such catchy and consequent melody.

Cochise (8): I also like Jewel in the Crown and I'm not sure whether this or that is the original form (though JITC could be made in 1993-4). Anyhow, I love both. In Cochise I especially like the way of using panning, and it's developing till the end very well. However, I don't really like the inspiring song, Whola Lotta Love, to me that's boring.

Embers (9): The first fully atmospheric track, it has strong memory-evocator effect to me that I love. It has just the right amount of everything.

Summit Day (6): Perhaps this is the track I like the least on Guitars. Even though it has a fantastic melody and it's beautiful till 2:10, after that the build-up doesn't come out as good as in other tracks of the album in my opinion.

Out of Sight (9): At first I didn't like this one because I thought the very simple melody (8 notes) didn't work but with more listening I changed my mind. I like watching to its structure: rhythm and bass playing are sometimes slow, sometimes fast, and you can hear those in every combination throughout the track (0:36: slow rhythm, fast basses; 0:48: fast rhythm, fast basses; 2:24: slow rhythm, slow basses; 2:48: fast rhythm, slow basses) and thus the music changes its characteristic all the time. Besides, great solo playing and much energy.

B. Blues (10): I have to confess that I don't like blues as a genre at all. You could say that I didn't listen to enough amount of blues and you're right, but according to the ones I've heard, it seems to me one of the most uninventive genres with using the same trick all the time. However, with Mike's interpretation I understood what the aim of this genre is, I'm carried away every time when I listen to B. Blues.

Four Winds (7): Even though North Wind has very aggressive orchestration, it's aerial at the same time. Then comes South Wind which is a calm but still melody-based piece, I like twists in the melody and double guitar very much. East Wind is a very interesting piece of A-B-A structured music. The rhythm is quite exotic. In the A part the chord changes in the background are determinant, and as if there were some choirs, I always imagine that into the music. The B part has some crispy electric guitar sounds with B. Blues-ish bendings, another thing I love. Perhaps this is my favourite of the four winds. Then West Wind: I'm not enamoured of Western style and especially this kind of guitar. However, the melodies are great and you can find the usual Oldfieldish structure here: higher and higher and even higher to a climax at the end.

Enigmatism (10): OK, I won't give 11 points. ;) But I could because Enigmatism is perhaps my favourite piece of music of all time (surely with this length). IMHO this is the perfect atmospheric music, not neglecting melodies while building beautiful musical landscapes. This track (and especially the chorus part with its enigmatic midi-guitar sound) evocates me even more memories than Embers, and makes my soul fly everytime I listen to it.

Out of Mind (10): Another fine powerful music after Out of Sight, but I like this melody better. The start of the solo guitar part (0:51) is one of the best moments on the album.

From the Ashes (7): I don't mind it as a reprise as it has symbolic meaning after Embers. But the very end still seems to me 'enforced'.

For those who make fan remixes: I think it would be interesting to hear these tracks with real drums as many of the fans don't like the fake ones on the album. Personally I don't have many problems with them but I'm curious how it would sound. Another idea of mine is to translate Guitars to Pianos. :) There is a piano version of Muse made by MaS and it sounds quite well.

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Mar. 29 2005, 19:07

I wasn't comparing the emotional impact of Tubular Bells to Four Winds, nor the commercial success. I like TB Part 1 a lot more than Four Winds, but it still seems to be that TB Part 1 is just as fragmented as Four Winds. I can't say that I ever heard any repeating themes in TB Part 1, certainly not like they are in Amarok.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Mar. 30 2005, 11:36

Tubular Bells is organic to the extreme. Maybe there is no straight relation between each distinct part, but they grew up together, they really formed something bigger (and yes, there are lots of recurring themes - they're just very subtle). Four Winds sounds like the four themes were never made to fit each other, and were squeezed into the same track because Mike needed a long song, and long Mike Oldfield songs are great by definition (*sarcasm*)... That's the clear impression I get, and rather than comparing it to Tubular Bells, I'd say it's a really bad attempt at making something similar to the Abbey Road side 2 suite.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Profile PM WEB 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: Mar. 30 2005, 13:16

GUITARS TRACK BY TRACK
        1 YIPPEE
        2 ZOIK'S
        3 HUBBA HUBBA
        4 PUT THE KNIFE DOWN AND USE THE SPOON
        5 OOOER MISSUS
        6 YEOWZERS
        7 WATCH IT PAL
        8 OH TO BE IN ENGLAND NOW THAT SPRING IS HERE
        9 FIDDLE FADDLE AND GADZOOK'S
       10 HMMM YOU ARE AWFUL,,,, BUT I LIKE YOU
I hope this clears thing's up somewhat.

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
Chicular Offline

Posted: April 07 2005, 07:18

I have bought Guitars twice!  My original CD i stood on and snapped so i purchased a new one recently and have started to appreciate the heavier stuff on the album!

1.  Muse - Not my fave but good track to start album!

2. Cochise - Like this track, reminds me of a long journey!

3. Embers - Very atmospheric and good guitar melody!  I love the live version on VH1.

4.  Summit Day - My favourite track.  If this had lyrics it would be a love song played at the end of the night at a wedding.  Very simple, so much so i can play it on Guitar. Also love the live version on VH1.

5. Out of sight - Originally hard to listen to but now i am older i can appreciate the production and guitar playing.

6. Out of Mind - Nice experiment.

7.  Four winds - Although not the most cohesive, the individual tracks are special.  I really like the first and second parts.

8. Enigmatism - Reminds me of a frosty night, again very atmospheric.

9. Out of sight - Mike at his best.

10. Expanded to sound like the score from an epic film.  Great way to end.
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: April 07 2005, 10:41

:)  Im a quite fan of guitars. I bought it in spring 2003. First time i heard it was long time before this. I only lissen to it ones in a music shop. I though that one of the track was like tb3. So then i though that this was a album that mike had play all his melodies in guitars. (in another word; like a best of mike in guitar playing)

But i bought it anyway a little time after...
This was a time i had get my own house with my garden. So about the first time i ever heard the hole album was in my garden actually

I remember that my speakers was in my livingrom windows.
And the music was loud!!!  The trees was in the beginning to be green and the sun was warm. I saw the flowers climb out from the frozen echoes from the winter. I just loves the spring when the winter is dying.
The rain comes unexpected and the thunder drums too..

All this remain me about guitars because i bought it in the spring..

This is my track by track opinion ---->

MUSE

A relaxing start on the album. A chill guitar sound, just like mike always is good in. The acustic cold sound is a good mood.
For me just a perfect short good song..
------------------------------------------------------------------

COCHISE

This must be the song that i thought was an out take from tb3... But its a good allright song. This song makes me think of hard rain that falls on the ground. I feel the black grey clouds glides above the clods. And i  feel this is a very echoes from tubular bells III. Cochise gives me a gloomy mood. Just like tb3 do...
Its one my favorites.....
-------------------------------------------------------------------

EMBERS

This must be one of the best.. This melody can make me cries...
I dont know why i like this so good. Its calm and quiet. And about when the weighty slow guitar start (1:40) Oh that part i loves. This is what i love with mikes music.
He can give this easy song so much lively..
(I love this played in live!!;)
--------------------------------------------------------------------

SUMMIT DAY

Summit day is like embers, a good easy song to like. This one i could love right now. Its startin slow and build it self up in a scream of a guitar. I like to play this one on my guitar.
I made my own music video for this song actually....
---------------------------------------------------------------------

OUT OF SIGHT

This is not for new beginners.. First time i heard it i just skip the song. Maybe its to noisy.... i dont know,,,,
Its one of the song that i dont like so much in this album..

But its strange in a way,.... thats because i like to hear this if im in angry mood... This heavy tunes break the silence and exploses the windows

:p
------------------------------------------------------------------

B.BLUES

This song is special. B.blues have a cool sound. I like the contrast in this song. The lightly mike guitar over the dark blue ground.. (idont really know how to describe this)
From 2:10 its my favorite solo in this album. Mikes screeeeaammmin guitar.. My wife must go crazy.. ha ha
This song i love to play very loud!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and that tick thac sound is orginal too
-----------------------------------------------------------------

FOUR WINDS

Maybe mike could done much more on this song. Maybe he should give it four song that is different to each other..
More various...
But i like them... The three last parts..

The first part is tiresom and nagging.. i dont like it at all!

Part two is easy and simple... a little boring maybe. If he could do a little more with this song... i could only wish..

Part three is much better... I like to hear this with maya gold. I feel that they compares together.. They have the same foundation wall.. But of course is maya gold much better..
The guitar on this part is ok, but something is missing. (idont know)

Part four remains me of western.. Its too boring this to.
I liked that song very much in the beginning but now i feel not so much anymore. Its ok, but i feel that this is to easy. Maybe if he did more with the climax... More action..

Four winds combined its ok, but i know that mike can do it much better.. maybe thats beacuse i dont LOOVE this song....
But i cant forget about that this is only played with guitars.. But then again i think... : "mmm but mike is a king with his guitar, he could done this better" So i never get agree about this song ever.......
---------------------------------------------------------------------

ENIGMATISM

the consolation prize must be this song. Its great!
This I love to play my guitar with..
A quiet start on the song, then after 1:55 its even better..
Good song that everyone would like after listened it for the first time.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

OUT OF MIND

The title says it self....
First time listen to this gave me heart attack!!!!
The song starts so easy then blow the winds to hell with the guitar ha ha
I like this one very much!
1:21 the rythm is perfect... It really makes me want to dance..
Mike should play this live in his concerts...
I would love to be there
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

FROM THE ASHES

A sequel from embers..
This is a very good song to end the album with.
Like muse starts embers end's it in from the ashes. Realxing start and slow background sound.
Then out in the song 1:25 it turns to a endtitle..
I miss a little more end-climax-feeling but god, its perfect!!
From 2:04 to end, i love this climax...
----------------------------------------------------------------------

So thats my track by track opinion for guitars..
I feel that Guitars is a good album. Its great to hear it in my garden. If Tubular bells was a bigger album, mike could take this songs into that. Just like an 2 cd album.. that would been great.. But its to late now of course...

I feel when i hear cochise that i hear jewel in the crown...
They all have the sound from tb3...
anyway

When mike have played muse, embers, Summit day and Cochise in concerts i hear the guitars that miss on the album. He do its much better live and the songs is alive...

Or when he played on Uncut Vh1.. The song was much more differente...

In one word i think Guitars is four stars album of six...

;)

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Holger Offline

Posted: April 07 2005, 14:34

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Mar. 28 2005, 22:24)
10- From The Ashes (B-) - Pff... The last thing I need is a "conceptual" reprise. Why? This is no concept album, for goodness's sake. Gimmicky, doesn't add anything new [...]

Not true. It adds a Celtic flair and, more importantly, a nice and very oldfieldian ending.
Profile PM 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: April 07 2005, 14:42

to Chicular, the heaviest thing on this album was you when you stood on it.

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: April 07 2005, 14:57

I dunno about the "Oldfieldian ending" thing. To me, it was just Mike trying to remind us that he WAS Mike Oldfield through a cheap gimmick, in that "you know, my albums always have recurring melodies, and they almost always appear at the end... so I MUST do that with Guitars, too, even if it's a completely different album from Tubular Bells III and The Songs Of Distant Earth!" tone. Not my cup of tea. And the Celtic flair thing? I dunno, I never got anything Celtic from it, but maybe that's just me.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Chicular Offline

Posted: April 08 2005, 03:57

To big bell end!  So you wouldn't call Out of sight and Out of mind heavy?  Heavy in terms of Mike Oldfield?
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: April 08 2005, 05:58

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ April 07 2005, 20:57)
And the Celtic flair thing? I dunno, I never got anything Celtic from it, but maybe that's just me.

I hadn't, either, but then I read this, and when I listened again I felt I knew what he meant.
Profile PM 
Chicular Offline

Posted: April 08 2005, 06:09

In my opinion From the Ashes could be taken directly from the film Braveheart.  The music from Braveheart definitely has a Celtic influence based on the films subject matter.
Profile PM 
28 replies since Mar. 28 2005, 12:21 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net