Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Track By Track Opinion< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
The Big BellEnd Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 08 2005, 14:43

to chicular, I'm not having a go at you chic, I was just pulling your chain.  I happen to like the guitars album a lot, as for out of sight and out of mind, they're not full in head-bangers but it is nice to crank thing's up a little while these are on,you know get the old speaker's bouncing a bit.

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
Baggiesfaninessex Offline

Posted: April 12 2005, 11:11

Keep the funny quips coming BBE - they lighten my day!  :D

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: May 15 2007, 19:28

Quote (Chicular @ April 07 2005, 07:18)
I have bought Guitars twice!  My original CD i stood on and snapped so i purchased a new one recently and have started to appreciate the heavier stuff on the album!

I bought Guitars twice, too. Once about four or five years ago. Somehow, it disappeared from my collection (sticky fingers, maybe?), so I recently purchased a replacement, and I'm appreciating it a lot more. I used to only play a few tracks over and over, but now I'm enjoying the whole album experience. I might even include it in my top five MO albums.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
gbcrvh Offline

Posted: May 19 2007, 15:08

This is a good thread as it made listen to Guitars again.  In general Guitars are not album I can listen whenever I want... Not sure what mood I need to be to be honest.  Interesting enough even I rate it more than some other MO albums, I find listening to Guitars less than those albums.  So after fresh listening impressions are:

Muse: Not bad.  It starts very nice and I wish it develop more moody and richer afterwards instead of ending.  To me it sounds as never finished idea, but the idea is fine.  Due to impression I get about the song I would say this either 3.5/5 or 4/5.

Cochise: Don't vibrating guitar sound, but the idea is nice.  As whole song I see it as compilation of 3 guitar riffs put together (with mix at the end which could be much better). Again it feels as something that was partially developed or taken out of bigger picture.  While I like more Muse, the score is the same - either 3.5/5.

Embers: It starts as song you wish to skip, but then it develops into something really nice to ears.  It has sad mood... as returning to home after some disaster has happened or leaving some loved place.  At least I see it that way.  As soon as classical guitar kicks in song feels much much better.  Again it feels as there could be more to that song.  Overall I would say 4/5.

Summit Day: Very nice idea, love the song and pure 4/5.  Perhaps end comes to fast, but ok....

Out of sight: Errr, what's this? I hate that background tc tc tc sound, but otherwise it is not bad.  Again it feels as demo which needs to be worked on.  Some of the riffs are nice, but they do not contribute overall.  Unlike other staff so far this one has proper ending - 3/5.

B. Blues: I love how this song develops, but I do not like sound of that distorted guitar at all (but crying and blues guitars save the day).  And as Baggiesfaninessex said, that tick tock thing is also pain.  I wanted to give this song 2/5, but due to tune and development it did grow 3.5/5 - which I guess makes it 3/5 overall.

Four Winds: I guess when I originally bought album this was kind of song I though would dominate album.  Not sure why 3rd wind reminds of Music for the Balcony. I simply like it and give it 4/5.

Enigmatism: Beautiful song.  The best on the entire album.  It has very very nice mood.  4.5/5.

Out of Mind: Oh yeah!  Another nice song!  Another 4.5/5!

From the Ashes: Reprise... We get altered Embers.  Not the best way to finish album and I agree this song could be left out. Overall it is 2/5 due to feeling left after listening to it.
Profile PM WEB 
Velodynamic Offline

Posted: July 20 2007, 18:37

I've had this album for only one week or so.
I'm not really "at home" with this yet but the first thing that comes to my mind is that it feels like I recognise Cochise from some other MO album. The rest is a bit "layed back", nothing that immediatly get stuck in me, wich could be a good sign because that use to mean that it has to grow a bit with many listenings. It's a very nice presentation of the different and all so lovely guitar sounds that is so typical for Mike Oldfield. Overall a 7/10 so far. It could as well be a 9 within a few weeks.  :)

--------------
"...I've never seen a connection between music and politics.
It's like trying to connect football with croquet." -M.O.
Profile PM 
New Incantation Offline

Posted: Dec. 21 2007, 10:01

Muse: A nice relaxing intro to the album, nothing too loud or brash, just very smooth and melodic which sets the tone. Unfortunately it ended all too quickly without developing into anything further. 4/5

Cochise: Took 3 or 4 plays to really get to grips with this. Started off in the same manner as Muse but then the distorted guitars kicked in and upset the rhythm for a time. Also a tad repetitive but it is growing on me 3/5

Embers: A very moody, brooding piece. Sends a shiver up my spine sometimes. Shame it never takes off in the way it should have. Unsatisfactory ending 3/5

Summit Day: Good but a little harsh on my ears; took a few replays to get to like this track and may take a few more to really appreciate it 3/5

Out of Site: A mess to my ears; no real rhythm, signal or mood, just a mess of sounds with a plodding drum beat. The guitar work is ok but the track as a whole just doesn't do it for me 2/5

B. Blues: Another mish-mash of ideas. Too grungy and dreary to warrant too many repeat listenings. Perhaps my least favourite track 2/5

Four Winds: Love the melody behind this; reminds me of a fragmented Tubular Bells somehow. Love the guitar work too, a really spunky track with lots of promise, rich textures and sounds. Although the ending reminded me of that old Western classic, Bonanza. 4/5

Enigmatism: Another favourite, quiet, gentle, has a medieval feel about it. 4/5

Out of Mind: This track simply rocks!!! loads of balls-out energy and pace and speed and just about everything else to do with rock guitaring. Love this, love it even better at higher volumes on better hi-fi systems. A big 5/5 !!

From the Ashes: A nice moody track that perhaps should have been listed further up the album chart rather than concluding the album: perhaps after Muse?. Anyway, it's cool in its own little way 3/5

Overall I rate "Guitars" 3.5/5

Not Mike's best work but as an experiment it works well. Hopefully he might try a "Guitars II" in the near future.

Favourite tracks: Muse, Four Winds, Enigmatism and Out of Mind
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Dec. 21 2007, 10:40

When I bought this album it was a breath of fresh air, I like it alot and did so from day 1.

Ray

PS - even better now I have bought the guitar used for a few of the tracks though - coz now I can play it too!!!!

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Dec. 21 2007, 10:43

When I bought this album it was a breath of fresh air, I like it alot and did so from day 1.

Ray

PS - even better now I have bought the guitar used for a few of the tracks though - coz now I can play it too!!!!

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Feb. 03 2008, 20:53

"Muse" - 10/10 - Perfectly lovely.

"Cochise" - 10/10 - To me, this is the quintessence of Guitars.

"Embers" - 9/10 - This sounds like it's vibrating in my tummy (maybe I've just got the volume too high??), which isn't totally a good thing since it makes me think of spontaneous combustion.

"Summit Day" - 8/10 - This has such a pretty melody, but at times some of the sounds grate on my ears.

"Out of Sight" - 7/10 - This sort of rock is more harsh than I usually like. Still, it's MO on guitar, and that counts for a lot.

"B. Blues" - 5/10 - Maybe if I liked Blues music...? *shrug*

"Four Winds" - 8/10 - So, if I've got this right, first it's 'North', then 'South', 'East', and 'West'? If that's the case, then my most favorite is 'East' and my least favorite is 'South'.

"Enigmatism" - 8/10 - Very nice, but it's outshined by other pieces. I like the title, especially since I think of Guitars as mysterious despite its often earthy quality.

"Out of Mind" - 10/10 - This is a tribute to The Rolling Stones? I don't like the Stones, but I love MO and this is great.

"From the Ashes" - 10/10 - Gives me chills.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
28 replies since Mar. 28 2005, 12:21 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net