Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Top of the Pops from 1976 on BBC4< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 12 2011, 06:50

It does what it says on the tin.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/mar/30/top-of-the-pops-bbc4

I think I'm first with some old news again.  As of last Thursday, Top of the Pops is being shown again from the equivalent week 35 years before on the digital channel BBC4.  Some commentators have already held up their hands in horror, and others have reported that the BBC has committed to this for all 30 years.  As you'll see by the link, it's a more modest wait-and see policy - as if anyone could guarantee that several future controllers of BBC4 would just let it continue, if the station even still exists!  We should get to Portsmouth anyway:)

I decided I'd be one of the dedicated viewers and duly missed the first repeat...  I'll be back on track this Thursday, recording and maybe keeping some.  I won't have the capapbility, or knowledge, to transfer interesting examples to the web.  Others will, of course, but may I suggest that the interested post reminders November, should I not be around.

It won't be an endless succession of Oldfield archives, to be sure, but I'll be just as glad to see the weeks when he's just being mentioned in the countdown.  It's a year-and-a-half before we get to Guilty after that.  I daresay that the exact dates and nature of any appearances are documented - I don't know whether the promo was shown, or if Legs and Co. danced themselves silly but have a peek at their Wikipedia entry.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legs_%26_Co.

I saw it mentioned in the reports of the repeats that there are still an episode or two missing, and here it says that a November 1976 edition where Legs and Co.'s name was announced is one such.  That might have implications for us, but check the rest of the article for another fascinating fact that's definitely new to me :D

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: April 12 2011, 08:59

[B]Top of the Pops[B]

Pan's People Dance to In Dulci Jubilo

Portsmouth

Legs and Co. Dance to Portsmouth

Guilty

;)

Edited by manintherain on April 12 2011, 09:49
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: April 12 2011, 09:09

Don't ask me whats in the Top 10 singles Chart These Days.. But back then everyone seemed to Know... It was the "Must be on Show".   :cool:

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: April 12 2011, 09:48

TOTP was a classic,even with the lip-synch/miming - together with OGWT(Old Grey Whistle Test) = classsic BBC music shows from the past!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
HR lover Offline

Posted: April 12 2011, 14:01

I can't watch BBC4 unfortunately  :/  and BBc iplayer isn't available in my area  :(

--------------
Neither a borrower nor a lender be,
For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.
Profile PM 

Posted: April 14 2011, 07:06

Thanks for the schedule, manintherain, here's hoping I remember to refer back to it!

Sorry, HR.  I wasn't sure how the Beeb channels were organised round your way these days - I've seen them myself in the past in Belgium and Luxembourg when it was boosted analogue signals as far as I remember.  I see it's carried cable for BBC1 and BBC2 still, now you've gone digital.  It's a mixed blessing anyway - you'll be spared some massive crimes against music. :laugh:

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
kazav Offline

Posted: April 14 2011, 10:34

HR Lover, it's not available where I am either. But there are ways and means... ;)

--------------
The purpose of education is to replace an empty mind with an open one.
Profile PM 
Hastengas Offline

Posted: April 14 2011, 12:52

Personally I think music kind of died in 1976. I was an avid watcher of TOTP up until this time, the popular music just went downhill into a wilderness of mediocrity. I saw the documentary last week about the subject, and they claim that the TOTP producers were pretty much in control of what was aired on TOTP and Radio 1 and subsequently what became sucessful.....something like 28 records were selected for the week and subsequently we all got brainwashed by the likes of "Save your kisses" and "Fernando".

I think there were some truly awesome bands and music shown from the late sixties up until the producer changed in 76.......and then we got the likes of "Shuddupa your face"...enough said
:-)
Profile PM 

Posted: Dec. 15 2011, 20:30

Ah, tiddlywinks!  This is the week and for anyone who was relying on us to remind them, we've missed the first two showings!  Mike's in the Top 30 up at number 26 from 39!!!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer....9_12_76

I found it earlier during the first repeat on BBC4, in time to catch the routine but not to arrange a recording.  There will be one more repeat, early Sunday morning at 0140, GMT.  Although it's not up yet, it should also make it to the iPlayer.
If you've never seen the whole show before, watch out for a cameo performance as we hit the audience dance and credits :D

--------------
"Who was that?"
Profile PM 

Posted: Dec. 17 2011, 11:50

Plus... Tubular Bells!

(courtesy of Jethro Tull :)  )

--------------
"Who was that?"
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: Dec. 17 2011, 12:48

Yeah Ive seen this Clip before but is Nice in High Deff  ..  The Parrot looks suitably Impressed...  

On the Subject of Animals relating to Mike Oldfield.. I noticed on the Final of One Man & His Dog tonight.. ie (Sheep Dog Trials)  The Winning Dog came from Wales.. Im just guessing the Pre Trial  Pictures were of Hergest Ridge ie where the owner & Dog Operate... Horses and Land Scape seemed Familiar..  I will look at it again Sometime... Woof.. :cool:

--------------
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: Dec. 18 2011, 04:36

ah Yes .. Its on the BBC2 Playback for a Few Days..
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer....isode_2
at 28.32 mins in.... Looks Like Hergest Ridge to me..

--------------
Profile PM 

Posted: Dec. 24 2011, 06:10

Tis indeed.  Graham Powell and Gwen are walking up the hill from Gladestry at the start of his featurette, and his sit-down interview is on the Second World War commemoration stone bench above the village.

And if we're talking about random Mike moments from last Saturday that are about to expire on the iPlayer, In Dulci Jubilo was on Winter Wipeout for about 20 seconds - at 7 minutes in... http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer....isode_1

It's often used in a jokey way for Christmas-themed shows but we rarely get to the guitar solo - if I were Leslie Penning, I'd be a little offended! :D

--------------
"Who was that?"
Profile PM 

Posted: Jan. 31 2014, 18:54

One repeat which hasn't fallen foul of retrospective controversy is the edition from the 1st of February, 1979.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03t4px8

One more chance, early on Sunday morning (or consider the iPlayer), to see Sally Oldfield's appearance, performing Mirrors :)

--------------
"Who was that?"
Profile PM 

Posted: April 03 2014, 16:04

I'm afraid that all this was eminently checkable when I first started this topic, but we won't be seeing the re-recorded version of Guity next month: the episode in question was one fronted by Jimmy Saville. :/

Mike will feature in the unspoken Top 30 countdown at the start of each programme for the four weeks after that, before another Saville edition counts out the last appearance of the record.  And that will be it until a theoretical Top of the Pops 1983, for as ill fortune would have it, the Legs & Co. dance to Blue Peter is out as well. :/  :/  :/
http://z6.invisionfree.com/popscene/index.php?showtopic=8918&st=0

But at least the performance has been re-broadcast elsewhere since :)
http://tubular.net/forums....t=10090

--------------
"Who was that?"
Profile PM 

Posted: May 02 2014, 10:36

This should have been the week, of course.  As it happens BBC4 has skipped ahead and the editions from the 10th and 17th of May are being shown this week and next.  If you have ever doubted those who talk up the value of a Top of the Pops appearance, there's one more chance (01:05, early Sunday morning) to witness Mike's dizzying climb up to number 22!

The main curiosity for me was in seeing which photo was chosen by the BBC - or supplied by Virgin - to show his place in the countdown.  It's from the Incantations inner cover era and is not that far away from this one.

A couple of other observations.  If you noticed the recent references to Mike's top 12 choices and have never checked out Masquerade by Skids, the TOTP edition from the 24th of May is for you.  The website I linked to in my last post shows that so all credit to them.  They have now supplied a link to a recording of a repeat of the show with Guilty in it, so if the prospect is not offensive to you, you could follow the path from here.

--------------
"Who was that?"
Profile PM 
spark Offline

Posted: May 02 2014, 10:54

Three interesting things about that episode of TOTP .

1 , The Police were on the same show and as we know Andy Summers played guitar for some of the Tubular Bells live tour.

2, The support band for the Newcastle show on that tour had Gordon Sumner (Sting) on bass .

3, Mike rerecorded the guitar track for the TOTP show.

Sad usless information !!!!!
Profile PM 

Posted: May 02 2014, 11:21

Not that Andy Summers remembers the tour fondly!

I'd seen that particular Roxanne before, not appreciating until just recently the significance of the show it was sourced from.  I do like Stuart Copeland when he's in distinctive mode - I wonder if he was standing up when he, Mike and Jeff Lynne were jamming along to Amarok!

--------------
"Who was that?"
Profile PM 

Posted: Jan. 01 2015, 18:24

The repeats do continue; reasons other than undesirable presenters may horrify you if you do watch them! :D

The prospect of more criminal choreography may not have grabbed everyone, but you may have already sought out Blue Peter from the 20th of December, 1979.  One of the current clips available features its original continuity link, so it's probably not as essential to witness that within the episode as a whole.   As it happens, the people at the Popscene website this time only have access to incomplete recordings that chop off the title sequence and chart rundown; I post the link below.   BP is within the second of the two options given, about 20 minutes in and after David Bowie.  All I am left to wonder is whether they have another photo or the same for Mike's place in the countdown.  I'll have an answer in a couple of weeks time -  the first several shows from 1980 are free from controversy.
http://z6.invisionfree.com/popscene/index.php?showtopic=13753

--------------
"Who was that?"
Profile PM 

Posted: Nov. 25 2015, 16:39

Okey-dokey - here's one I hadn't counted on...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06q9h8w

The usual three showings to look out for: five minutes edited out of the first showing, but possibly not the appearance by Mike that these Tweets are referring to.

https://twitter.com/leethommo/status/668817672260423682

https://twitter.com/leethommo/status/668817892113256448

https://twitter.com/leethommo/status/669548053968351232

We shall see how crap in due course.  Meanwhile, here's something else that I missed back in 2011.  The dance troupe Ruby Flipper in the old Blue Peter garden (before the iconic sunken feature) perform to Tubular Bells as re-styled by The Champs Boys, and as broadcast on the 8th of July 1976.  Tony Blackburn never seems to relish the occasions he's obliged to play MO on Pick of the Pops - perhaps it all stems from this astoundingly botched introduction! :laugh:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video....rtfilms

--------------
"Who was that?"
Profile PM 
32 replies since April 12 2011, 06:50 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net