Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Top of the Pops Covers Albums, Any one Remember These  !!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
3Wheeler Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 19 2009, 17:18

Back in the 70s these Cover Albums were Available..  Mainly in Woolworths...  Theyre probably worth a Bit now If youve a mint set ...   They were Bargain Basement and were Covers by Session Guys.. Very Very Un Hip at the Time...   Theres a Programme on Right now Hosted by Noddy Holder on BBC radio 2...     Not sure if they ever Covered A Few of Mikes Hits in the early 80s..Maybe Not as the guy said they finished in 1982.  heres a Site .. with a few Listed... Ahh the Good old Days lol.. :cool:

http://retrotrash.org/topofpops.htm

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Dec. 20 2009, 04:00

Volume 27 was the first record ever given to me as a birthday present :/  - but I quite liked it! -

Mouldy Old Dough
Clair
Donna
Avenues and Alleyways
Elected (fave track :cool:)
Halleluja Freedom etc...

Got Volume 33 too -

Angel Fingers
Angie
Rock on (fave track :cool: )
Angie
The Dean and I etc...

How about you 3 Wheeler? ;)

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Dec. 20 2009, 05:50

I remember reading that Nik Kershaw started out doing sessions for those kind of albums,and was frequently asked to do Elton John apparently.I know for a fact I had a couple of em` as a kid,but even at the age of 11/12 years old I was kind of frustrated by them.Even worse were the kind of "tribute to" albums that would be in little tiny writing at the corner of the sleeve somewhere.I have to admit I got duped by those a couple of times as a youngster.Now of course you can make a pretty healthy living out of just being a tribute act,if you`re good enough at it.Plus you don`t have to save up all your money for weeks on end to go and see them play.

It`s strange to think that they stopped doing them as long ago as 1982,as there are still certain shops and supermarkets out there where yer kind of Top Of The Pops music is still being piped out I guess.Get down to your local Wilkinsons that`s always good for a laugh.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Dec. 21 2009, 08:51

Oh my gods.I'd almost forgeotten them.My sister has one or to.They did a similar thing on Island records to promote songs by Island artists.I believe Elton John had to do Nick Drake tunes.Now i love Nick Drake's stuff.Really love it.I haven't heard it but i cannot imagine Elton John doing Nick Drake songs.For a start who could have played the acoustic guitar parts.His playing and tuning are indecipherable (just try it).Woollies was full of the TOTP albums.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Dec. 21 2009, 09:35

I had this one!

Memorable album covers... didn't take me long to find it on that webpage ;)

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Dec. 21 2009, 11:48

:laugh: I had that one as well Matt,I wonder if that`s Nik Kershaw doing Part Time Love?  "Bush Bush In the Bush" blimey it was even worse than the original.And the guy doing the deep voice thing from Showaddywaddy had to be heard to be believed..Whatever happened to the real Dean Friedman? And Patrick Juvet??? I doubt they`d be quiblling over reduced compilation royalty fees nowadays.

@Caveman I did`nt know that about Elton doing Nick Drake songs,I`ll have to try and track those down.Yeah and regarding Nick`s tuning and playing etc.Even his compositions are quite uniquely constructed sometimes as well.Years ago I wrote a song for the band I was in that went from 5/4 to 4/4.Unfortuantly I did`nt realise it at the time,which was why we never managed to work that bloody thing out properly.Of course Nick Drake`s River Man does the exact same thing I later discovered.Except his song sounds completely natural and effortless,where as mine sounded like someone had tried to wedge a whole different song slap bang in the middle of it.Which in fact I had.     :p
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Dec. 21 2009, 11:56

Good grief!  :laugh:
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Dec. 21 2009, 12:57

Unfortunately i can't sample this particular delight cos we're banned from Youtube here.I'll go onto my Dad's PC over xmas.I'm almost scared to hear it.Nick Drakes stuff has that haunting quality to it.He sounds (and really was)so fragile.Time Has Told for example me really does tug the heart strings cos he was such a young man but he sounds so world weary.Really don't like Elton John's voice and can't see how it can ever fit within a Nick Drake song.Much too bombastic compared to the near whisper of Nick Drake's.Can't risk a bollocking at work though.Lol.
 Buggered if i can figure out how he did what he did with a guitar.He didn't have any lessons according to a really good biog i have and just tuned it how he needed it to be tuned.In the interests of keeping the neck of my guitars straight i'll just say "f*ck that" and just lay back and listen it think!Poor sod commited suicide in 76 after years of depression.
Anyway thank god these compilations aren't about anymore.
On the subject of Nik Kershaw,he was at Cropredy this year.Sort of heard him but decided i needed to grab more beer from my tent at the time  :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Dec. 21 2009, 13:20

Well unfortunatly it is Time Has Told Me Caveman,and my God it`s horrendous.It kind of comes over more country & western than folky as well,which does`nt really help it at all.There`s more up on youtube as well (I noticed Way To Blue amongst others) but after the first one I decided to give them a miss.In all fairness to Elton these were obviously put out before he made it himself I think.Plus you know it`s not really his field of music I guess.And as you say yourself Nick Drake was very much an original anyway.Personaly I used to quite like Elton`s voice,before he went all "shouty pub singerish" for some reason.That said he kind of sounds a bit like that here funnily enough.Never mind Time Has Told Me it`s more like "Time Gentlemen Purrlease" !

Can`t believe you missed Nik Kershaw for the sake of a couple of pints..  ;)
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: Dec. 21 2009, 13:51

Quote (Dirk Star @ Dec. 21 2009, 11:48)
.Of course Nick Drake`s River Man does the exact same thing I later discovered.Except his song sounds completely natural and effortless,where as mine sounded like someone had tried to wedge a whole different song slap bang in the middle of it.Which in fact I had.     :p

Ive got a Cover of Riverman Performed by the Mummers..  Its pretty Nice..    

On the Programme the Guy Reckoned  the Slade Songs Were the Worst & Hardest to Copy .. And They Knocked Out Bo Rhapsody as a Special .. It Took em From 6pm to the Early Hours I think he Said and They were all knackered at the End ! :cool:

--------------
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Dec. 21 2009, 15:25

I`ll have to check that Mummers cover out.I saw them on Jools Holland earlier in the year and thought they were pretty good.Sadly their career since has seemed to follow Nick Drake`s in some ways.I would be hard pressed to choose but I think River Man is probably my favourite Nick Drake song.And the string arrangement on the original really makes it imo.

And yeah there could`nt have been many people out there who could do Noddy Holder justice.These guys came pretty close though.  :laugh:
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: Dec. 21 2009, 16:37

Free Download Here for  "Riverman"  

http://www.themummers.co.uk/latest-news/518

--------------
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Dec. 21 2009, 19:38

Very nice.It reminded me a little of some of those covers that This Mortal Coil did a little while back.She has a beautiful voice,plus they share their name with the title of an xtc album.What more could a guy want?
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Dec. 22 2009, 00:11

Here in Australia we had a show called 'Countdown' which was like Top Of The Pops. The show was wound down in the 80s but every year there were specials and albums released. One of the best DVDs was 'Countdown The Wonder Years' which showcased hits from the 80s. The ABC released 'Long Way To The Top a few years ago featuring artists performing live, from the 60s to the 80s. Seeing the original artists perform was amazing! Its sad  TOP and Countdown were axed, but demand for music shows now comes down to most spectacular videos being more important than music content IMO. Finished reminescing now! Deb
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Dec. 22 2009, 08:42

I remember Nik Kershaw first time around Dirk mate.Thought he was crap then and to be honest i thought he was crap when i caught a little of him at Cropredy!And not a little up himself as well.What really f*cked it for me was when he decided to do "I Am The One And Only" (remember Chesney Hawkes.....shudder)cos he wrote it.I thought "You want people to know that?Thank god you are the one and only".So the choice was A few nice bottles of good old fashioned folk festival approved ale (i took plenty)or Nik Kershaw.I though long and hard about that one! :)

It was a folk festival so what he and the Buzzcocks were doing there i have no idea!Oh and i may just avoid the Elton?Nick Drake thing altogether.The only Elton John song i've ever liked was Tiny Dancer.And i only liked that a bit. ;)

--------------
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Dec. 22 2009, 09:50

Ah poor old Nik.Yeah I forgot he wrote The One And Only you`d have thought he`d have liked to have kept it that way.I can only imagine Nik got in the door because of The Riddle which is kind of borderline cartoon folk.You know if you chucked a couple of mandolins on there and a penny whistle it`s practicaly Pentangle...Yeah ok maybe not.That said there`s actualy a version of The Riddle going round the clubs at the moment(on the funky house scene daddio) That makes Nik Kershaw`s version sound like The Incredible String Band Unpugged.Not that they were ever plugged in in the first place of course.Dunno how The Buzzcocks got in there though,but I like them so it`s ok.

I tell you what The Buzzcocks did do though,which they did as on out and out joke originaly.Was that kind of nee naw,nee naw police siren bottom note/top note guitar thing,on just about every guitar solo that they put out.It was meant to be as a kind of a piss take if you like of all the heavy metal/rock guitarists who were doing the exact same thing only faster.You know if you slow Lynnrd Skynnrd`s Freebird down for instance on the solo that`s what you get..the police siren effect.But the thing is now you`ve got a whole host of indie bands out there who do that bloody nee naw thing to the point of brain numbing insanity.Snow Patrol have practicaly built their whole friggin` pathetic sound around it.Drives me up the wall mate.And the thing is nobody ever pulls these guys in the press it`s ridiculous.I mean I have to admit I am a fan of The Young Knives,even though they do it all the bloody time as well.So that`s how The Buzzcocks got in.Their "jokey" guitar solos have become the template for the modern indie pop song.They`re the original punk folksters.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Dec. 22 2009, 10:07

Then that is exactly what i will do in my new band when i get it together in the new year.Prog Rock versions of the Buzzcocks with police siren solos.Or perhaps not. :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Dec. 22 2009, 10:49

:D It`s an untapped market mate,I`m already looking forward to it.

The funny thing is I saw Pete Shelley of The Buzzcocks play at a punk festival quite a few years ago now.And the biggest crowd reaction of the day was when he performed    Homosapien which was like an electro-pop gay anthem of the early 80`s.You see they`re alright all those punk dudes once you get to know them a bit.I`m sorry I know you can`t watch youtube stuff,it`s a great song though.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Dec. 22 2009, 10:57

I shall over xmas at my dad's.They were funny really.50 somethings whining about all the things that punks whined about!For god's sake guys count yourselves lucky you still have parents let alone saying how much you hate them.And who are those kids at the front looking embarrassed saying "oh Granddad for christ sake stop it!"

--------------
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Dec. 22 2009, 12:31

Well the great thing about The Buzzcocks was that they were really clued in to all those anti-rock cliches right from the off-set.You know aside from the whole police siren guitar thing which was kind of like a "fuck you,fuck you" to the whole diddly diddly brigade,which of course they could`nt  play.The first track on their debut album was about how much they hated fast cars. "ooh they make me dizzy" sang Shelley in that clipped camp northern stylee.They had a great sense of humour really.Plus on top of all that they wrote great melodic pop songs,and they did`nt dress like they`d just arrived from outer space.They appeared with great regularity on TOTP`s in the late 70`s and even me mum liked em so they had to be good.It was`nt often she went out on a limb and expressed a preference believe you me. "I believe in me mum and dad" sang Shelley on I Believe so you know they were never all anti the folks at home that`s for sure.

A friend of mine had a Scout Master who when he talked sounded exactly like Pete Shelley apparently.You know it would`ve been like your parents dropping you off at Uncle Charley Hawtrey`s for the weekend or something.Melvyn Hayes as an in-store Santa Claus.Yeah I don`t know where I`m going with this now,I`m digging a big hole here...Only in the 70`s.
Profile PM 
23 replies since Dec. 19 2009, 17:18 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net