Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (7) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Top 20 Forum posters and 100 club!!!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
TubularBelle Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 15 2008, 02:01

I agree that rankings do little to improve a forum and more often than not, only inspire some posters to post pointless and silly comments just to reach a certain level. But 3 wheeler was only giving a harmless opinion and his opinion is as valid as anyone elses and I think that Summer could have expressed his/her opinion a lot more politely than he/she did. Also Tayniee who wanted to explore the subject of elitism, could have brought it up in a less condescending manner. I have had a few hiccups with people on this site, most notably with someone who is well known and well liked, but we have both moved on. We can all be over sensitive at times, and we can all be a little too aggressive with our view points at times as well, but you would not believe the absolute crap that can go on in some forums. I had to leave the MOBY site pretty quick smart because it was not monitored, and they didn't even bother to talk about the artist or the music. We all need to be kept in line at times, a thankless and unenviable chore for the Moderators who I applaud and admire.
This site is by far the most relaxed, friendly, and unelitist site I have ever come across, and if you are new or have posted little, and you want to be as chummy with the regulars as they are with each other, I think 90% of the time you are welcomed with open arms and the rest of the time, you have to make the effort as all the newbies did when they started. I have been away, and I now expect to have to work my way up the friendship ranks from the bottom as I did when I first joined, not just jump straight back in like a member of the family.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: June 15 2008, 10:39

Welcome back, TubularBelle!

Spot on to you and Sir M about other forums. I mentioned the other two forums that I had joined, and those are good ones even if I'm not "family," but there are several more that I've popped into that were so disorganized, mean-spirited, and odd that it never occurred to me to actually join. As I said earlier albeit a bit differently, no place is perfect--we are all mere humans, after all--but at least here we do try to work through the issues. 

The issues of the last few weeks have been incredibly time-consuming, and I'd not complain if there were any hope of resolving. Sometimes there just isn't. As Korgscrew indicated, when we feel our time is being wasted, we'll ban and not engage in off-forum discussion.

One thing that has been expressed--which is a bit ironic--is that we somehow favor a core group--a clique?  Having never thought in terms of a "clique," I can say that over the years we have worked through a few issues --often off-forum--with anyone we've needed to, whether a regular poster or not. Generally we all get over it and move on to the next discussion thread.

Please note that banning is a rare occurrence--just a handful over the years. Sometimes banned people try to come back. I am not sure why, though I can think of several motivations. Were I banned from a forum, I would engage in some self-reflection and when ready, join a different one. We are not the only Mike Oldfield cyberland, after all.

Well, 'nough said. My morning run awaits!

Cheers,

Inkanta (post edited to clean up some grammatical confusion)

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: June 15 2008, 18:40

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ June 13 2008, 19:21)
Quote (summer @ June 13 2008, 13:17)
Also, is life outside of the Mike Oldfield forum that lame that aspiring to be a 'Guru' would be fun for you?

The pretentiousness and artificial drivel on here drives me bananas!

Well, if the "pretentiousness and artificial drivel" in this forum is driving you nuts, I imagine what you'd say about the bad forums - which constitute about 95% of the Internet. Really, the amount of nonsense in the history of this forum so far is microscopic. The vast majority of people are relaxing and having fun in here; eventually a dense conversation pops up, but only because the people in this forum are - up to some extent - willing to do some thinking.

And, unfortunately, on the Internet, that is a rare thing.

I agree Sir M, apart from my interest in Mike's music, I come here for a mix of fun and some lively debate.  I would say that this is one of the most friendly forums, I know of one or two posters on here who have tried stirring up the hornets nest.  I do visit a Queen forum, and they have both serious and more lighthearted topics for discussion.  I generally ignore the BS posters. I must admit I've had run ins with  one or two members, but I avoid getting into a slanging match, but if someone wrongly has a go at me or another member I'll fight back, in defence.   I often go onto a endometriosis website/messageboard, and  I find that a most friendly place.  For those of you who aren't familiar with endometriosis, it's a gynae problem that can affect 25% of women from teenagers through to the menopause.  Imagine if you will having your innards superglued together, as that's how it can be.  My prob has been causing me pain, variable in severity , but  I get pain virtually everyday   in my R/ H sidefallopian tube/ovary and prolonged bleeding  , but on a recent laparoscopy the results came back clear, so really I'm buggered if I know, what my as yet undiagnosed gynae prob is, I know Endometriosis was mentioned.   I feel tired if I've been doing say a couple of hours housework, but according to tests I'm not anaemic, but I do often look as pale as a ghost, and can feel shaky, I know neighbours have commented on my shakiness, if I've answered the door to them whilst in that state .  When I get like this I often find myself sleeping in the afternoon, and I daren't walk far unless I've someone with me, as I'm worried I might faint, I know that happened once before, so I do tend to rely on my car for short journeys as well as longer ones.  I would like to geta  diagnosis for this condition , and find a cure if there's such a thing.  I'm thinking how much I wish to return to paid employment , I know retraining as a counsellor,psychotherapist youth or social worker appeals, as does being creative or using my interest in history a museum curator or stately home tour guide.    I'm sorry if I appear to have hijacked this thread, but I just wanted to say that TubularBoard is up there with the best of the forums , 99.9% wheat and little chaff.
I'm happy to print my story if something positive is able to be salvaged from the negative, and it helps just one other woman that's fine.  Before anyone has a moan at me for loosing the plot of this thread guys it could be your wife or girlfriend with endo or other gynae prob, causing pain, and if she has a go at you for no apparent reason it's most likely the endo talking.   My boyfriend is most wonderful, as he is fully accepting of my situation                
:)  :D, I've found myself apologising when I haven't felt up to sex, but he is fine with that , unlike what I've read about some partners of endo sufferers.   I know he blames himself, as my gynae probs happened shortly after our relationship became sexual, but a cyst was detected on a smear test just before I met him, so as far as I can see it was coincidence, or just incredibly bad timing, and he has NOTHING to feel guilty about.

http://www.endometriosis.org.uk/

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: June 15 2008, 23:14

[EMAIL=tubularnet.com]tubularnet.com[/EMAIL][EMAIL=tubularnet.com]tubularnet.com[/EMAIL]

Sorry I am very slack when it comes to posting. However, I love logging on. Just reading some of your posts gives me the energy to keep studying and not turn into an old bore.

Cheers

By the way, if you are viewing Mike how is Scotland? I read the weather for Europe, and it is slow to warm up there at the  moment. How is the boat building going? Hope you are getting plenty of rest, peace and quiet. regards to all. Hope Fanny Jake and Eugene are doing well and getting used to life in Scotland
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: June 15 2008, 23:48

Hi Deb,

I haven't really been keeping up very well, esp most recently, but isn't Mike living in Spain now, where one would be led to believe that it is warm all year round.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: June 27 2008, 16:23

I'm sorry, but I have to ask.  Why should TubularBelle, or anyone else-regardless of whether or not they've been away, ever have to expect to "work (one's) way up the friendship ranks"?  The idea is contradictory to the feelings that everyone here, including me, has expressed in this thread.  Surely there should be no such thing as "rank" here.

I guess this was more of a rhetorical question.

BTW, I enjoy your posts, Belle.   :)
Profile PM 
ommadawn69 Offline

Posted: June 28 2008, 02:03

Quote (Bassman @ June 27 2008, 16:23)
I'm sorry, but I have to ask.  Why should TubularBelle, or anyone else-regardless of whether or not they've been away, ever have to expect to "work (one's) way up the friendship ranks"?  The idea is contradictory to the feelings that everyone here, including me, has expressed in this thread.  Surely there should be no such thing as "rank" here.

I do agree with you here. I was actually wondering that myself.

I have found posting here, that some don't even acknowledge a newbie posting, people tend to just reply ONLY to those that are part of the "family" here. I am slowly getting into posting here more often than I have before, but only in certain threads, and I have seen this happen again. I sure don't want to "work" at being accepted as part of the "family". I am here to contribute as much as a I can with posts, insight, and make friends here. And, of course, have fun.

If you ignore the newbies, eventually they will stop posting. And that is never a good thing. Now I am not saying that I totally feel I am being ignored everytime I post, that is not what I am saying, I have noticed it on occasion, but not all the time. I guess I just don't have anything important to say to be replied back.  :D I am joking by the way.

Just putting my two cents worth here, but I had to agree with Bassman here, it shouldn't matter how long you have been away, or how long you have been here, EVERYONE should feel comfortable, and accepted here on the forum. And not have to climb any levels to be "accepted" again in the "family".

And I am sure that those that have been here for a long time, will have no problem being "accepted" again.

I think these debates, conversations, call it what you will, are good. It brings everyone together. I like this. And it is wonderful meeting all of you. :)

Craig

--------------
http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/TheAlternativeMikeOldfieldGroup/
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: June 28 2008, 03:21

Well, lots of posts get ignored - not just newbies'. It's inevitable, here as in every other community, and doesn't necessarily mean anything. I know that plenty of my posts have fallen by the wayside. Have I felt slighted? Not really. I realize that many people are here for specific reasons. Some come for news items, some for technical expertise, some for debate, and some for socializing. Some have already said pretty much all they want to say, while others are just getting started.

As a newbie, I came here to 1) gush over MO and 2) improve my knowledge of his works. I remember one of my first posts was effusively of the former and one response was a less than sympathetic 'get-a-life' sort. I'm not saying this as a complaint, but rather to show that it didn't matter. Over a year later, I'm still here. And I miss onion. :)

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: June 28 2008, 05:20

Theres already a Form of Ranking anyway.. ie "The Post Count"....  So that could be taken off to I guess so everyone is on equal terms !! :)....

Something like  a   mini Bell Logo    1 to 5   though wouldnt be to offensive I reckon..  Its only a bit of a laugh anyway not a Heavy Subject...    You Know the Younger Kids like that sort of thing !!!  im sure the site is visited by a few of those to...      :cool:

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: June 28 2008, 06:29

Quote (Sweetpea @ June 28 2008, 08:21)
Well, lots of posts get ignored - not just newbies'.

That's how I feel too, SP. There's no way of telling what will, or won't, spark off someone else's interest, and in any case - even if no one responds to a post, that doesn't mean it hasn't been read and appreciated. Speaking purely personally, I often have the impression that loads and loads of my posts are ignored, I suppose because they're often about things that hardly anyone else is interested in. But since I have no idea which ones might spark something off (because sometimes they do) and which won't (and they often don't), all that can be done is to post whatever it is and leave it to go its own way. It's a bit like writing an essay or an article in a magazine. It goes out into the world, and mostly the author will have no idea how it's been received, because most articles don't generate any feedback at all.

But also, everyone uses the forum differently, don't they? My usual approach is to quickly scan the 'new posts', look at a handful of the ones that catch my attention (for whatever reason), respond if I think I have something to say, and then go away. If I'm in a 'better do some work on the Maestro Guide' frame of mind, I might not have time to do anything else at all.

I don't think I've ever felt that I 'belonged' here, if I really think about it. (I like coming here, but that's not the same thing.) Often I feel a bit 'square peg in a round hole', because I can't participate in any of the technical discussions, or fan music discussions; and most people here know infinitely more about rock music in general than I do. Those lists in the 'best albums' thread, for instance - I find those quite intimidating, because I recognise so few! By comparison, my list (if I made one) would be embarrassingly feeble and limited. Truth is - it's not easy for anyone to get past that old fundamental 'existential loneliness' problem.
Profile PM 
ommadawn69 Offline

Posted: June 28 2008, 06:52

Quote (Sweetpea @ June 28 2008, 03:21)
Well, lots of posts get ignored - not just newbies'. It's inevitable, here as in every other community, and doesn't necessarily mean anything. I know that plenty of my posts have fallen by the wayside. Have I felt slighted? Not really. I realize that many people are here for specific reasons. Some come for news items, some for technical expertise, some for debate, and some for socializing. Some have already said pretty much all they want to say, while others are just getting started.

As a newbie, I came here to 1) gush over MO and 2) improve my knowledge of his works. I remember one of my first posts was effusively of the former and one response was a less than sympathetic 'get-a-life' sort. I'm not saying this as a complaint, but rather to show that it didn't matter. Over a year later, I'm still here. And I miss onion. :)

I never said that only the newbies have posts be ignored, I was only making a point. Sorry if it came out that way. I totally know some posts are not replied to, or even answered back, and that happens to alot of people.

But with that said, I have lurked in every thread here, and I have seen the ones that post alot send posts back and forth, where others that post in between don't get the same courtesy.

I get it that not all the time do someone's post is something that everyone should respond to, but really, if someone is posting to a certain topic in a thread, then it's safe to say that it is relatively about that topic where people are contributing to. So it is hard to say that people are not replying because they don't know what to say, or there is no reason to reply back. That's just me. On another forum I am on, I am one of the top posters, and some newbies believe that top posters are part of a "family", I am not like that and I reply in all threads, I read all the messages and reply to those that didn't get any response. It goes along way. Now if no one cares to do that here, that's fine, not here to change things, but this thread is members making thier points, opinions, whatever to this topic. We are all not going to agree with everything being said here, that's what makes us human. I just think sometimes that those that have been here along time and have made friends here, might not even bother to read someone else's post if they don't really know them.

Again this is just what I see. And when I first came here awhile back I have chatted with members here that don't post anymore because of this same reason. And feel that they don't have anything to contribute because no one responds to their posts. I don't see that as much anymore since I come here more often, which is good.  :)

--------------
Profile PM 
ommadawn69 Offline

Posted: June 28 2008, 07:06

Quote (Alan D @ June 28 2008, 06:29)
I don't think I've ever felt that I 'belonged' here, if I really think about it. (I like coming here, but that's not the same thing.) Often I feel a bit 'square peg in a round hole', because I can't participate in any of the technical discussions, or fan music discussions; and most people here know infinitely more about rock music in general than I do. Those lists in the 'best albums' thread, for instance - I find those quite intimidating, because I recognise so few! By comparison, my list (if I made one) would be embarrassingly feeble and limited. Truth is - it's not easy for anyone to get past that old fundamental 'existential loneliness' problem.

I agree Alan, still though it is terrible that you actually feel like this. And I do know what your talking about, as even myself, am not a technical guy. I not a musician so I don't know notes, or bars etc. I do know music, and love music so that is how I contribute. And I am opinionated, if you haven't already noticed that.  :D  :D

But that doesn't stop me in saying my piece about something I feel I want to contribute in. I just do it in my own words. I sure wouldn't go and post in sections that are about sheet music, bars etc.

I do know the topic you are referring to with the "best albums". And really I love those topics, even though there are many albums I have not heard before, I find myself writing some selections down, and I will pick it up when I go to the HMV in my city. I love to listen to new music that I haven't heard before. And of course in that topic all your really doing is just putting down your top albums. I am sure you have albums that you love, yes some may not know them, but you may have people like me that always reads all the messages and writes many of them down to listen to. I would love to see your top albums Alan. And they would be feeble to me. Even if you can name 10, name however many you want.

I learn from other people about music and other things, and I love that.

I didn't know a hell of alot about Mike, only TB of course. Didn't know anything else until I join a Mike Oldfield fan group on Yahoo and met amazing people that sure knew thier Mike Oldfield. And that is where I met Richard (korgescrew) and I learned alot more. And of course that is where I joined here after hearing about the place from that group and Richard of course. And this was a larger place with Mike Oldfield fans. I fit in, no matter if people didn't know me or not. I felt I fit in because we are all Mike Oldfield fans, and that is half that battle.

Sorry, kind of going off there. I tend to talk alot.  :D

--------------
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: June 28 2008, 11:02

Quote (ommadawn69 @ June 28 2008, 12:06)
still though it is terrible that you actually feel like this.

No, honestly Craig, it isn't terrible. I'm very comfortable with it all - I know I'm free to contribute wherever I can, and I do, and these are all choices I make - no one else influences them. If I look at those lists of esoteric albums and feel a little intimidated by that, then those are my neuroses at work, and that's my problem to resolve. I wasn't complaining, not even slightly. (After all, no one could possibly think I was reluctant to post, could they!?) I'm just comparing notes with fellow travellers. One day I may even suddenly say what the heck, and plant my list of top ten albums!

(In my experience, once someone starts talking about feeling as if they don't quite 'fit', suddenly lots of people start saying: 'Do you feel like that too? I thought it was only me'... and so on.)
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: June 28 2008, 11:47

Quote (Alan D @ June 28 2008, 16:02)

(In my experience, once someone starts talking about feeling as if they don't quite 'fit', suddenly lots of people start saying: 'Do you feel like that too? I thought it was only me'... and so on.)

Not me,I live here..    :p Yeah ok ditto to all that and more I suppose.Anyway Alan I`ve read plenty of your comments on rock and pop music to know that imo you`re more than qualified to post in that thread.Plus favourite albums could mean anything from The Pipettes to French Opera.. ;) Plenty of scope in there and more surely?Fair enough though,you`ll not catch me posting in that French Opera thread that`s for sure..But I have read it though.I`ve also read every post in this thread did`nt ignore any of them.I`m going to award myself a star in fact for this tremendous achievment on my behalf.Yeah it`s kind of a new ranking system I just invented it.That`s ranking with an "r" guys in case you`re wondering?Anyone who reads this post deserves to award themselves at least three stars for putting up with my incoherent babble.Make your own star charts at home and pin them on the fridge with magnets.See how fast you can rise to the top of that leaderboard?..Before you know it you`ll be off to the nuthouse fast as lightening..."I just don`t understand it Doctor?..It all began when he started posting on Mike Oldfield Tubular Net."  

There's a fog upon L.A.
And my friends have lost their way
We'll be over soon they said
Now they've lost themselves instead
Please don't be long please don't you be very long
Please don't be long for I may be asleep
Well it only goes to show
And I told them where to go
Ask a policeman on the street
There's so many there to meet
Now it's past my bed I know
And I'd really like to go
Soon will be the breath of day
Sitting here in Blue Jay Way
Please don't be long
Please don't be long
Please don't be long
Don't be long, don't be long, don't be long
Don't be long, don't be long, don't be long

George Harrison..Blue Jay Way.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: June 28 2008, 12:10

Quote (Dirk Star @ June 28 2008, 16:47)
Anyone who reads this post deserves to award themselves at least three stars for putting up with my incoherent babble.

This reminds me of those gimmicks the newspapers used to get up to many years ago, where they'd send out some guy into the public at large, and if you recognised him, you could go up to him with your copy of the Daily Newsburbler and say "You are Midge Smightly of the Daily Newsburbler, and I claim my five pounds".

So ....

"You are Dirk Star, and I have read your post, and I claim my three stars."
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: June 28 2008, 13:17

Quote (Alan D @ June 28 2008, 11:02)
I may even suddenly say what the heck, and plant my list of top ten albums!

Waitaminute... how did this come to encouraging Alan to post more??

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: June 28 2008, 14:00

Quote (Bassman @ June 27 2008, 07:23)

Okay I guess I confused the issue again but what I meant to say was, and this is my personal humble opinion, not the actual rules of the forum right, is that.....

I think this is a very friendly and welcoming forum but like in real life, people are more comfortable talking to people that they know, so if you are a new person sitting in the lunchroom at work, sure you will join in the conversation and you will not be ignored, but there will be moments when you will feel excluded just for being new. As for working my way up the ranks, that was a very bad choice of words as my whole point was there is not and should not be any ranking system, so I apologise for the confusion, but I just meant that I will not be offended if a few of my posts are not responded to in the same way they may have been when I was a regular poster and contributor. In fact, some of the sillier and most pointless comments are made by those who have been here the longest and feel the most comfortable.

Long Live Tubular.net, the best by far Mike Oldfield forum on the Net. And I look forward to getting to know some of the posters who have surfaced during my absence.

Cheers,
Tracy.

--------------
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: June 28 2008, 15:38

Quote (TubularBelle @ June 28 2008, 19:00)
there is not and should not be any ranking system

Perfectly said. Incidentally, the mention of ranking systems reminds me of the General Principle that Major Difficulties relating to Corporal Punishment can often be resolved by Private Discussions in order to get to the Colonel Ofthematter.

Long live the silly and pointless post, and welcome back, Tracy.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: June 28 2008, 15:47

Quote (Sweetpea @ June 28 2008, 18:17)
Waitaminute... how did this come to encouraging Alan to post more??

Ah, you see the posts in this thread by Mick, Craig and myself were all part of an elaborate plot for world domination. But it seems like the game is up.

Put the kettle on guys. We've been rumbled.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: June 28 2008, 16:40

Quote (Alan D @ June 28 2008, 17:10)
Quote (Dirk Star @ June 28 2008, 16:47)
Anyone who reads this post deserves to award themselves at least three stars for putting up with my incoherent babble.

This reminds me of those gimmicks the newspapers used to get up to many years ago, where they'd send out some guy into the public at large, and if you recognised him, you could go up to him with your copy of the Daily Newsburbler and say "You are Midge Smightly of the Daily Newsburbler, and I claim my five pounds".

So ....

"You are Dirk Star, and I have read your post, and I claim my three stars."

:laugh: How did you know I wrote for the Daily Newsburbler? Well I`m not doing too well on this current ranking system I`ve tried to initiate.I`m already on minus two points for not reading my own posts properly.Ah foiled by my own cunning plan to reach the toppermost of the poppermost.Back to the drawing board on that one I guess..(little do they know I`m not talking metaphoricaly there...Mwahahahhah! )

Tracy I knew exactly what you meant by working your way up the ranks.But to be honest I think you can somtimes feel excluded even when you`ve been here for a while.I agree people do feel more comfortable talking with people they`re more familiar with.But by the same token I don`t post stuff just in the hope of some reply to it.Anyway I don`t want to get all bogged down with that stuff because I`ve often felt differently about it at different times on here.But yeah you`re right no ranking system is definetly to the benefit of this board.Long may it continue.
Profile PM 
139 replies since Oct. 22 2001, 20:16 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (7) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net