Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (7) < ... 2 3 4 5 6 [7] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Top 20 Forum posters and 100 club!!!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: July 18 2008, 09:25

Amazing how little I'm contributing to such an active Queen discussion. :)

It's been ages since I last put on any of their records. It seems that pesky little new Sigur Rós album is REALLY getting into me - and it really does match with the sweet mood I'm in at the moment.

Queen II is still my favourite, by the way.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
The Caveman Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 18 2008, 12:23

Funnily enough Sir M i agree.Queen II is the one for me.Although BM's solo on Brighton Rock from Live Killers scared the bejesus out of me untill i learned what a delay pedal was.And then i spent years trying to get that sort of effect with any delay pedal i could lay my hands on.My best mate back then (i was only about 13)who turned me onto the track said "It sounds like Mike Oldfield".There are certain similarities in some of the passages in that solo i guess.Still a wonderful thing to listen to.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: July 18 2008, 17:22

Quote (The Caveman @ July 18 2008, 16:23)
Funnily enough Sir M i agree.Queen II is the one for me.Although BM's solo on Brighton Rock from Live Killers scared the bejesus out of me untill i learned what a delay pedal was.And then i spent years trying to get that sort of effect with any delay pedal i could lay my hands on.My best mate back then (i was only about 13)who turned me onto the track said "It sounds like Mike Oldfield".There are certain similarities in some of the passages in that solo i guess.Still a wonderful thing to listen to.

I have to agree there are some similaritiesbetween Mike's and Brian's playing can be similar, I think that the solo in Surfing sounds a bit like Brian May.

As for my favourite Queen album I would have to say either A Night At The Opera or A Day At The Races, closely followed by Queen II      :)  :D .  The Works was the album that got me into Queen, and I love all of them since, OK The Miracle has one or two slightly iffy tracks, but by Queen standards their worst songs are better than some bands best.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: July 18 2008, 17:49

Quote (Dirk Star @ July 18 2008, 11:16)
.Up until about seven years ago we still had a coal fire here so I`ve bought millions of these things over the years.Thank God those days are over don`t let anybody tell you otherwise...."Oh you can`t beat a nice real fire"....Yeah when it`s already been prepared by the magical fire fairies,who come down your chimney during the night.

Anyway I`m sorry MCH I wasn`t having a dig at Bryan there I must admit I love a lot of his Queen songs.Tie Your Mother Down,Hammer To Fall etc great stuff.I really loved that rockier side to them which Bryan was/is a major part of no question.Although that said I actualy really liked a lot of the stuff they were doing around The Game/Hot Space period.Which for one reason of another they kind of got slated for in some quaters at the time.But how great were some of those Deacon bass lines from that time?It`s kind of a shame he`s still not in the picture for me.Taylor & Deacon were just a dream rhythm section.

And surely as rock n` roll fashion trademarks go the Bryan May perm has got to be up there with Presley`s white Vegas suit or something?Although for a time I was a bit concerned when he first teamed up with Anita Dobson You know I thought that was kind of spooky for a while I have to say.Kind of like Rod Stewart marrying Bonnie Tyler with poor old Kim Carnes as the bridesmaid or something.But Anita`s hairstyle is a little more subdued these days and of course they`re still together.So yeah I`m ok with it now.(phew what a relief) Plus they must be saving an absolute fortune on hairspray...   :p

I admit I was`nt aware that Bryan was a fully qualified astronemer until recently.And that he`s also wrote a book on the subject called BANG the complete history of the universe...Big bang theory number 4,543,789...God playing about with a matchbox???...   ;)

On fires and matches, yes you can't beat a real fire, I'm thinking about  how wonderful it would cuddling up to my wonderful boyfriend   :D in front of a real log fire.  He did have a petrol chainsaw for cutting down DEAD trees, until one night some stuff was stolen from his shed.  He would only cut down trees that were dead, never living ones. Anyone who cuts down living trees deserves the Ents to march on them and to be trampled under an Entish foot.  Oh sorry gone off into Lord Of The Rings there.  I do wonder Professor Tolkien seems an unlikely candidate for the Hippy movement, but he was embraced by Hippies, who loved LOTR.  Oh yes I would love a real log fire with magical fire fairies to come and light it on a winter morning before I get out of bed     :cool: .

Yes I have to agree about John Deacon's bass lines, his soul style playing took off around the time of  The Game/Hot Space.  About The Game, I enjoy that album but I do find "Coming Soon" a bit iffy by Queen's standards, (see my post above).

About Brian's hair , it's naturally curly, no perm.  My hair is naturally slightly wavy , and I think it looks better with lots of corkscrew, natural looking curls, but getting my hair permed doesn't mean I'm a Brianna May at playing my guitar.
OH yes re hair I feel Mrs May (ie Anita Dobson) looks much better now than she did back in the days of Angie Watts in Deadenders (Eastenders).  Not that I've watched Eastenders  since about 1990 or any  other soaps, East enders was enough,    watching paint dry is more interesting.   My favourite soap is the sort you wash with, that's the only soap that interests me.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: July 18 2008, 18:12

Quote (Scatterplot @ July 18 2008, 06:39)
This thread is funny. It was originally about the top posters of tubular.net then frayed off to a Queen+Paul Rodgers unification which I was unaware of until recently. So I got a DVD of a great rock show(The Show Must Go On must be one of PR's most powerful vocals ever and a song with real balls) then I said I liked it a lot. Then suddenly, there's some kind of humor regarding matches and Brian May. A photo of matches. Nothing in this photo matched(pardon the pun) any joke regarding one Brian May and matches.  I don't git it......but whutever.....Yall's humor is strange at times but then so is mine. Never cared much fer queen but now I like 'em a lot. I want a 12 string acoustic now. But why all the ribbing about how the UK is psychotic for Queen, akin to the Beatles coming back.....then the jokes fly?? Part of why I like you Tubularians, your unpredictable as hell. But then so is Mike Oldfield......and I like him better than Queen+Paul Rodgers(but they are catching up!;) or Genesis or whomever....
Jim

Well my wonderful boyfriend thinks "I'm Going Slightly Mad" by Queen is my song   :cool: , and I do have to admit I'm as "Mad as a Hatter" or "Completely Round The Hatrack"  .  I know the first one was meant to have originated from Luton a town in Bedfordshire famous for it's hat making industry, which is where I was born (unfortunately) , this part of the world is a dump.  Luton Town Football Club are known as "The Hatters"  However my boyfriend maintains it's a Warwickshire expression, as Warwickshire also had a hat manufacturing industry, but Luton is it's home. Apparently mercury was used iin the manufacuring of hats and mercury poisoning sent many of the milliners mad.  "Completely Round the Hatrack" is a Warwickshire expression, and that's how my boyfriend described me       :cool: . I'm nuts but in the most beautiful way  :D

My song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNBWf54RvsI

Scatterplot, you'll get into Queen in a BIG way, I know 25 years ago I hated Queen espesially their early stuff, but Radio Ga Ga and I Want To Break Free converted me, I had to go out and buy The Works.

My one regret is I never got to see Queen when they played Wembley and Knebworth in '86 I was 15 and my parents wouldn't let me go cry,cry, cry. I thought I'll get to see them next time, as seeing Queen with Freddie would be WOW!!!!   :D . Little did I know that the Late Great Freddie Mercury was suffering from AIDS at the time, and he would be dead   just over 5 years later cry, cry, cry.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: July 19 2008, 05:02

Well, all I can say is Paul Rodgers seemed to put more energy into what I saw(the 2005 "Return of the Champions" DVD) than anything before. Sure he seemed like a "proffessional front man" of 30 years, almost too polished in his posturing, but I felt something which was: this guy vocally delivered what every dork on American Idol tried to but never could. The ultimate in sheer lung power, pitch and "balls". "The Show Must Go On"....I could play that one 1000 times. I'm afraid to hear the Queen mark I version. Brian May is a very fine guitar player and can sing well too. But in the end, Mike Oldfield was far superior. The live shows I've seen from MO, sorry.....best melodies, best effects, incredible technical as well as expressive abilities that surpass Brian May and many others. Why am I using the word sorry....this is a Mike Oldfield site!
Jimbo

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Posted: Mar. 18 2011, 04:20

Wow I just cracked the Top 20....prob in rec time :laugh:

Do I now get the recipe for those Tubular Bell cookies I've read so much about :D
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 18 2011, 04:26

No one's given it to me, Milamber, and I've cracked 3000 posts  :(
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Posted: Mar. 18 2011, 04:27

Dang :laugh: yeha..
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Posted: Mar. 18 2011, 04:29

Quote (nightspore @ Mar. 18 2011, 20:26)
I've cracked 3000 posts  :(

I'm guessing that's at JuJitsoo.
:laugh:  :laugh:  :p
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 18 2011, 04:31

Quote (Milamber @ Mar. 18 2011, 04:29)
Quote (nightspore @ Mar. 18 2011, 20:26)
I've cracked 3000 posts  :(

I'm guessing that's at JuJitsoo.
:laugh:  :laugh:  :p

We break boards in Taekwondo by kicking 'em, pardner... Might be useful in the Saloon  :D
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Mar. 18 2011, 17:28

Quote (Milamber @ Mar. 18 2011, 04:20)
Wow I just cracked the Top 20....prob in rec time :laugh:

Do I now get the recipe for those Tubular Bell cookies I've read so much about :D

Haha! Well, they're made a couple of different ways. I first made them for my coworkers back in 1998 when I was feeling sorry for myself at not being able to romp in the rain at Horse Guards. So I baked cookies instead. I posted one of the recipes a few years back,  here.

Nightspore, if I mention "almond flavoring" it should bring back memories. :)  

Of course, that's not the only way to make them. I've used a basic sugar cookie recipe with butter and add mini-chocolate chips (no almond flavoring in those). Sometimes I use part brown sugar, and it's more like a chocolate chip cookie dough.

Once I left a batch cooking in the oven all night long and they looked like dog poop (how appetizing, I know). So I did the only thing possible:  Took them out and arranged them in the lawn and took a picture of the tubular dog poop. :)  Wish I could find that picture--I suspect it was two computer crashes ago. /-: Oh, and apologies--the recipe is in that weird unit of measurement used primary here in the USA.

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 18 2011, 18:58

Quote (Inkanta @ Mar. 18 2011, 17:28)
Nightspore, if I mention "almond flavoring" it should bring back memories. :)  

Inkanta, either you're making a risque joke here that I don't understand, or you've read my novel! :emoticon for amused puzzlement:
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: Mar. 18 2011, 20:32

Haha! Just click on my link above to the original convo Re: tb cookies and all will be revealed. :D

--------------
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Posted: Mar. 18 2011, 22:51

Thanks Inkanta I've printed it out for the missus :D

I'm not a fan of marzipan but the wife is.

Chocolate version for me.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 19 2011, 03:40

So it did, Inkanta. Maybe it's because you're a "basswoman"  :laugh:
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: Mar. 19 2011, 10:00

Gods! And my poor brain STILL initially reads that as "bass" rhyming with "lass!"  I shall only be worthy of that title when alas I look at the word and think "bass" as in "base," not basssss alasssss.

Was just thinking that I need to do the Martha Stewart thing and make my own cookie cutter in the shape of a tubular bell. Then they could be frosted with various designs--maybe with all of the instruments introduced by the M.C. (hahahaha) AND would TBII's vocal chords be the anatomical drawing of vocal chords? How appetising. Hmm....does this belong in the "you know you've been listening to too much MO....." topic? :D

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 19 2011, 19:11

Quote (Milamber @ Mar. 18 2011, 22:51)
Thanks Inkanta I've printed it out for the missus :D

I'm not a fan of marzipan but the wife is.

The texture probably reminds her of plankton  :laugh:  :laugh:
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Jan. 29 2016, 16:26

Oh, man! In a couple of months I have been a member here for 11 years!

Since then I have moved out in the country, become a father of a daughter (now six years old), divorced under traumatic circumstances, got promoted at my job, found a new wonderful girlfriend, joined a viking metal band and recorded two albums, got fired from a viking metal band and played a solo gig at Sweden's most prestigious venue for art music.

Now I'm thinking - what has become of this forum? Is it like a museum? Is it just a temporarily out of fashion and due for a comeback?

I used to hang here *a lot*! :)

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Chrissy Offline

Posted: Jan. 29 2016, 17:38

I think forum has become a museum.

Mike's albums, 'Discovery' and 'The Killing Fields' were reissued today, with the new Deluxe version of Discovery containing the new Suite 1984 and not a single post about these reissues.
Profile PM 
139 replies since Oct. 22 2001, 20:16 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (7) < ... 2 3 4 5 6 [7] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net