Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (7) < 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Top 20 Forum posters and 100 club!!!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
olracUK Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 04 2008, 18:56

Galadriel - you should take yourself outside and give yopurself a good talking too! I winced and laughed so much at the same time, I'm considering phoning a "no-win no-fee" lawyer!

;)  :laugh:

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: July 05 2008, 00:58

Quote (olracUK @ July 04 2008, 22:56)
Galadriel - you should take yourself outside and give yopurself a good talking too! I winced and laughed so much at the same time, I'm considering phoning a "no-win no-fee" lawyer!

;)  :laugh:

I know Andy, but if you did sue me it would be useless ,as I haven't got any money to give you should you win :laugh: .

This just has to be my song, my wonderful boyfriend said it was  :)  :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJPyy1Oncco

That's cool  :cool: , as I'm nuts on Queen and I'm slightly mad, in the nicest possible way :D

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: July 05 2008, 17:39

@ Moonchildhippy: have you ever heard that story about that Queen song's lyrics being a metaphor for death? (i.e. "I'm going slightly mad" = "I'm dying".) I heard it at the time, maybe Freddie wrote it from a personal point of view. Given that he died not later than two months after shooting that video, it looks like a rather uncanny coincidence to me....  :O

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: July 05 2008, 18:06

No I can't say I had,  yep maybe, I wonder in what terminology "Slightly Mad" is used.  I think Freddie Mercury was always a bit over the top, maybe to cover up shyness.  Who else could have combined elements of both Glam and Prog Rock, not to mention operatic vocals and made it work     :)  :D , I don't think anyone else could have done it, and calling the band Queen, as it could have either gay connotations or mean regal/royal, however Queen are the biggest band of all time, or in terms of UK recorrd sales, they've outstripped The Beatles, Elvis, and the Rolling Stones.

On I'm Going Slightly Mad, I did wonder at the time if These Are The Days Of Our Lives and The Show Must Go On were written as Freddie's Epithaph, and I think yes.
IGSM I think of as being a happy song- it's pretty amazing the job done with make up to hide Freddies illness, which is evident for TATDOOL.   I know there's been much speculation over the lyrics to Bohemian Rhapsody, they're allegedly about Freddie coming out as "Gay", but I know he had a friend  and a partner of many years in Mary Austin. I did even hear Bohemian Rhapsody is about (Freddie's) death,  well about events preceeding the death of a young man after committing an impulsive murder, or Kenny Everett said that the lyrics were "Random rhyming nonsense".

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: July 05 2008, 18:14

Quote (moonchildhippy @ July 05 2008, 04:58)
Quote (olracUK @ July 04 2008, 22:56)

:laugh:

I know Andy, but if you did sue me it would be useless ,as I haven't got any money to give you should you win :laugh: .

This just has to be my song, my wonderful boyfriend said it was   :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJPyy1Oncco

That's cool  :cool: , as I'm nuts on Queen and I'm slightly mad, in the nicest possible way

I've thought of some more

Rat In Mi Kitchen - UB40
Rodent You Want Me - The Human League
Ferret It Be - The Beatles   :)

Don't sue me as I stated above I've no money to pay you any compo (compensation).  Ah that's a point "Compo" a charachter in "Last Of The Summer Wine" and he used to keep ferrets.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: July 06 2008, 11:51

Do you know what's weird about These Are the Days of Our Lives? It was written by, of all people, Roger Taylor. I don't see it exactly as a "death" song, but I'm quite sure Roger knew the band wouldn't last much longer. Matter of fact, the whole album sounds like a swansong right from "we'll keep on trying".

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: July 06 2008, 15:27

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ July 06 2008, 16:51)

Matter of fact, the whole album sounds like a swansong right from "we'll keep on trying".

Roger Taylor wrote the lyrics for Innuendo as well with Freddie doing the music.I was going to say that some of my favourite Queen songs were wrote by Roger.But then I just remembered who was responsible for The Invisible Man,so I`ll hang fire on that one.Radio Ga Ga though and I`m in Love With My Car yeah I loved those two.

Another song that is kind of seen as a "musical epitaph" from that final album is The Show Must Go On.Lyrics by Bryan May on that one of course.I do agree though I`m sure all the members of Queen (Freddie included) were very much aware of the "end" being in sight I supose.Despite everything, they came up with some really fine songs for that album I felt.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: July 06 2008, 17:45

@ Moonchildhippy: I read that story not long after the song had been released - the song's irony was, according to that story a way to hide the bad condition Freddie was in. Of course your musical sensitivity may be different from mine, but I don't think of "Slightly Mad" as a happy song - I find it quite enigmatic, from a strictly musical point of view, and even a bit gloomy. I can't really see anything 'happy' in it.

@ Sir M.: the Innuendo album doesn't sound at all like a swansong to me - indeed Queen sound to me like they were on top form, in that album. And if Freddie hadn't died, they were supposed to make at least another album, weren't they? ;)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: July 06 2008, 17:54

Quote (Ugo @ July 06 2008, 21:45)
@ Sir M.: the Innuendo album doesn't sound at all like a swansong to me - indeed Queen sound to me like they were on top form, in that album. And if Freddie hadn't died, they were supposed to make at least another album, weren't they? ;)

Yes that was "Made In Heaven" which was posthumously  released in '95, Freddie's  vocals were recorded earlier, same as The Beatles' did with "Free As A Bird"  and Brian Roger and John completed the album.   I agree the Innuendo album has to be one of Queen's finest    :cool:  :)  :D .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
ommadawn69 Offline

Posted: July 08 2008, 04:39

Quote (moonchildhippy @ July 06 2008, 17:54)
Quote (Ugo @ July 06 2008, 21:45)

Yes that was "Made In Heaven" which was posthumously  released in '95, Freddie's  vocals were recorded earlier, same as The Beatles' did with "Free As A Bird"  and Brian Roger and John completed the album.   I agree the Innuendo album has to be one of Queen's finest    :cool:  :)  :D .

Yes that's right. This is what Miriam Stockley said about recording on the album when I interviewed her.

"When 'Made in Heaven' was produced, Freddie had already died.
It was
a bit strange at first, singing to his voice without
him being there,
but we soon got used to it."

'Made in Heaven' is such a lovely album, lyrically and musically. It is different than 'Innuendo', which to me is one of Queen's finest albums.
The last album is haunting when I hear it, especially the very odd last song which is the longest track on the record. Very chilling to me. I always get goosebumps when I hear it.

--------------
http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/TheAlternativeMikeOldfieldGroup/
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: July 08 2008, 09:52

I find it hard not to listen to Innuendo without feeling that, in almost every song, the band was in the spirit of "Let's do this one last time!", like in the comically exaggerated The Hitman, the extremely silly (in a good way! ) Delilah, and the aforementioned title track and The Show Must Go On.

I guess it's perfectly fine to consider Innuendo as their true swan song, with Made in Heaven as the addendum that ties all the loose ends together. Funny that the latter was one of the first records I picked up, and to this day, I'm fairly disappointed with the rendition of Too Much Love Will Kill You. True, the original is a very, very sappy and sickly-sweet tune, but I rather like it, and the power ballad treatment just wipes away the soothing quality of the song. A Winter's Tale, however, chills me to the bone every time.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Profile PM WEB 
ommadawn69 Offline

Posted: July 08 2008, 21:27

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ July 08 2008, 09:52)
I find it hard not to listen to Innuendo without feeling that, in almost every song, the band was in the spirit of "Let's do this one last time!", like in the comically exaggerated The Hitman, the extremely silly (in a good way! ) Delilah, and the aforementioned title track and The Show Must Go On.

I guess it's perfectly fine to consider Innuendo as their true swan song, with Made in Heaven as the addendum that ties all the loose ends together. Funny that the latter was one of the first records I picked up, and to this day, I'm fairly disappointed with the rendition of Too Much Love Will Kill You. True, the original is a very, very sappy and sickly-sweet tune, but I rather like it, and the power ballad treatment just wipes away the soothing quality of the song. A Winter's Tale, however, chills me to the bone every time.

I do feel that as well about the spirit of Innuendo. I believe they did think it was their last. With all the lyrical stuff and then after ward I guess it would have been Freddie to make the decision for another one if he felt up to it. And that came 'Made in Heaven'. Still though, miss the hell out of Queen. All we have now is their records and the memories.

--------------
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: July 09 2008, 03:02

I guess we've always got Queen and Paul Rodgers , now that Brian May and Roger Taylor have reformed as Queen+PR.  I know it isn't the same as the Late Great Freddie Mercury, but Paul was NEVER intended as a replacement for Freddie.   One regret I do have is I had my 15th birthday in '86 and my parents  wouldn't let me see Queen when they played at Wembley or Knebworth in '86   :(  :(  :(   , so I never got to see Queen with Freddie.
On Queen +PR, I think it gives a Queen meets Free sound, and I know that Paul could NEVER replace Freddie.  I feel that Brian and Roger wouldn't be happy outside of making music, and John Deacon is happy in his "retirement".   I have my albums, videos and DVDs   memories of hoew I got into Queen, I used to hate them until Radio GaGa and I  Want To Break Free, an older cousin would play early Queen, I think my ears just needed time to appreciate the music, and now I'm a Queen nut.    :cool:  :cool: .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
ommadawn69 Offline

Posted: July 09 2008, 03:23

Quote (moonchildhippy @ July 09 2008, 03:02)
I guess we've always got Queen and Paul Rodgers , now that Brian May and Roger Taylor have reformed as Queen+PR.  I know it isn't the same as the Late Great Freddie Mercury, but Paul was NEVER intended as a replacement for Freddie.   One regret I do have is I had my 15th birthday in '86 and my parents  wouldn't let me see Queen when they played at Wembley or Knebworth in '86   :(  :(  :(   , so I never got to see Queen with Freddie.
On Queen +PR, I think it gives a Queen meets Free sound, and I know that Paul could NEVER replace Freddie.  I feel that Brian and Roger wouldn't be happy outside of making music, and John Deacon is happy in his "retirement".   I have my albums, videos and DVDs   memories of hoew I got into Queen, I used to hate them until Radio GaGa and I  Want To Break Free, an older cousin would play early Queen, I think my ears just needed time to appreciate the music, and now I'm a Queen nut.    :cool:  :cool: .

I really love Queen with Paul Rodgers. I saw them a couple of years back in Toronto, amazing show. Paul is a hell of a singer. Yes,he isn't Freddie, but he did a great job, can't wait to see them again when they come back here. :)

I saw Queen in 1982 and then 1986, Freddie is the best frontman in any band. A great entertainer.

--------------
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: July 09 2008, 07:15

Gosh, kids. Y'all talk about Paul Rodgers like he isn't a real legend of rock. This is a guy who's pretty much equal with Robert Plant in Rock stature.

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
ommadawn69 Offline

Posted: July 09 2008, 07:26

Quote (Scatterplot @ July 09 2008, 07:15)
Gosh, kids. Y'all talk about Paul Rodgers like he isn't a real legend of rock. This is a guy who's pretty much equal with Robert Plant in Rock stature.

Heh, I complimented him.  :D

--------------
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: July 09 2008, 08:03

Quote (ommadawn69 @ July 09 2008, 07:23)
Quote (moonchildhippy @ July 09 2008, 03:02)
I guess we've always got Queen and Paul Rodgers , now that Brian May and Roger Taylor have reformed as Queen+PR.  I know it isn't the same as the Late Great Freddie Mercury, but Paul was NEVER intended as a replacement for Freddie.   One regret I do have is I had my 15th birthday in '86 and my parents  wouldn't let me see Queen when they played at Wembley or Knebworth in '86    :(   , so I never got to see Queen with Freddie.
On Queen +PR, I think it gives a Queen meets Free sound, and I know that Paul could NEVER replace Freddie.  I feel that Brian and Roger wouldn't be happy outside of making music, and John Deacon is happy in his "retirement".   I have my albums, videos and DVDs   memories of hoew I got into Queen, I used to hate them until Radio GaGa and I  Want To Break Free, an older cousin would play early Queen, I think my ears just needed time to appreciate the music, and now I'm a Queen nut.    :cool:  .

I really love Queen with Paul Rodgers. I saw them a couple of years back in Toronto, amazing show. Paul is a hell of a singer. Yes,he isn't Freddie, but he did a great job, can't wait to see them again when they come back here. :)

I saw Queen in 1982 and then 1986, Freddie is the best frontman in any band. A great entertainer.

My boyfriend winds me up bless him, (despite this and sometimes calling me Lou as my middle name's Louise I love him, he's the most wonderful guy any girl could wish for :)  :D )  , as he's 48 and he saw Queen at Knebworth, and well I'm 37 on Friday and I was 15 at the time so my parents wouldn't let me go, and little did I realise that I wouldn't get to see Queen with Freddie. I was at the Tribute, I know for a number of years my circumstances, at the time (I was looking after my disabled husband, we  mutually agreed to separate, but remain friends) and funds or lack of them prevented me going to many concerts. So I haven't seen Queen+Paul Rodgers.

Scatterplot   Posted on July 09 2008, 11:15Gosh, kids. Y'all talk about Paul Rodgers like he isn't a real legend of rock. This is a guy who's pretty much equal with Robert Plant in Rock stature.

Oh yes I know Paul Rodgers is a legend in rock music, I think what I'm trying to say is that Queen from 1971-1991 has been Freddie Mercury , John Deacon Brian May and Roger Taylor, I didn't mean to sound disrespectful to Paul Rodgers. What I'm saying is Queen have lasted 20 years without a line up change, and I think only ZZ Top can surpass them, so when Brian and Roger (I think music is in their blood) decided to reform it was as Queen+ ........   I know all four members contributed to the Queen sound, and Freddie Mercury is also a legend, I think Paul brings a new twist to the Queen sound.  I know it could be argued that Queen can't be Queen without Freddie, so hence Queen+.   I know the image was Freddies idea, and many regard Freddie Mercury as Queen, but the original neucleus of what was to become Queen was established in 1967 when Brian and  Roger, along with bass player Tim Staffel formed Smile.  Freddie Mercury was then with bands Sour Milk Sea and Wreckage, and he happpened to be at a gig Smile were playing at, Tim left to go his own separate way, and in 1971 John Deacon was recruited on bass.
In short what I'm saying is if Queen's sucess was soley down to Freddie then why didn't Sour Milk Sea or Wreckage become successful.  I think with Queen it was a combination  of all four contriboting ideas, and being in the right place at the right time.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: July 09 2008, 08:51

Quote (Scatterplot @ July 09 2008, 07:15)

WOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRGHH,, OHHH, OHHH, OHHH BABY, BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: July 09 2008, 10:36

This is a very entertaining thread. When I go back to work tonight I'm gonna see if Youtube has some video of Queen and Paul Rodgers. I was completely unaware of Rodgers doing this. Last glimpse I got of him was a Bad Co concert on video made sometime around '02 or '03.....I really liked The Firm best tho. Jimmy Page and PR made for a great combination.

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: July 10 2008, 00:57

That was really good. Saw some videos including new songs, some of which reminded me of The Firm. Apparently the only FM station I listen to(classic rock) never promoted them when I happened to be listening(which is not often). How long has this new lineup with Queen and PR been together??
Jim

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
139 replies since Oct. 22 2001, 20:16 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (7) < 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net