[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (7) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Top 20 Forum posters and 100 club!!!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Ray Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 01 2008, 20:25

Quote (Sweetpea @ May 31 2008, 17:29)
Ahem... I've reached a thousand posts, here, so YAY for me!

Is that over 1000 in only 1 year????

Gosh!

Compared to my 600 or so in 8 years.   I feel lazy!

Ray  :zzz:  :zzz:  :zzz:

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: June 01 2008, 21:04

Quote (moonchildhippy @ May 31 2008, 09:06)
I'm just wondering how many of the old guard are still posting here, from when I joined in Dec'04.  I know Bee, Alan, Baggiesfaninessex, Holger, Olrac, and Tubularbelle, Inkanta  still post on here quite a bit  .
I'm wondering if JBG, Avellaina, FamilyJules and Ratty still come on here,  I haven't seen Piltdownboy or Sandheaver on here for a little while.  
It's strange the first person I spoke to on here was TubularBelle, and she's virtually as far south as you can get , as I am  north, and the strangest thing of all is we both share the same birthday, but born 11 years apart        
:)  :cool: .

If I hadn't have found these boards I wouldn't have been introduced to some new music and made new (cyber)friends, and it was Avellaina who introduced me to the site where I found my wonderful boyfriend   :)  :D

Thanks for remembering me Moonchild. I still come in here for a look but don't post as often as I use to because I am working full time now and am obsessed with You Tube and my ferrets, (poor little Farken went missing nearly 2 months ago so I have two new ferrets now, Frodo and Fanny). And to be perfectly blunt, I was hurt when I got little interest in my You Tube videos as I had contributed a lot to this forum in the past, and felt ignored. Some may say You Tube has nothing to do with Mike Oldfield, but it was my love for Mike that sent me to the site and many of my videos are about him or feature him in some way. Anyway, I am on afternoon shift now and the job is supposedly finishing in July, so I look forward to coming back to the forum and reconnecting with you all again.

Where is Piltdownboy? He was cool, and TheBigBellEnd?

How is the romance going Moonchild?

Gee, thanks for mentioning that I am SO MUCH OLDER than you! 48 this year, I don't mind, every age has it's advantages. For me, it's reaping the rewards of having a wonderful family, 3 sons, 2 daughter-in-laws and 4 grandchildren, without having to do any of the hard work, and being free to pursue my own interests now, such as my love of animals and meeting people on the net.

Did anyone see the story on 60 Minutes about the 23 yr old potential billionaire that started Facebook, good on him I say!

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: June 02 2008, 03:00

I must be the old old guard, with my first post in January 2002! It's hard to believe I've been here for that long. It must be because this is the friendliest, most interesting and most enjoyable forum I've ever been on!

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: June 02 2008, 14:37

Maybe some one should introduce  Rankings for Posts as per other Sites just to give you a step up the ladder effect..
ie   Newbie to Guru    or anything to that effect  3000 posts is a Guru I reckon lol.... might be Knocking on a bit by then though lol... :cool:

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: June 02 2008, 15:09

Quote (3Wheeler @ June 02 2008, 14:37)
Maybe some one should introduce  Rankings for Posts as per other Sites just to give you a step up the ladder effect..
ie   Newbie to Guru    or anything to that effect  3000 posts is a Guru I reckon lol.... might be Knocking on a bit by then though lol... :cool:

That is very gracious of you to suggest, 3Wheeler, considering you lost your previous postcount when you created a new account last year. Or are you saying you'd post more if you could reach "Ultimate Guru" status??

Though rankings are (IMO) a frivolity, they can be fun. But that depends on what the ranks are, I guess. I mean, I don't know if I'd want a "Candidate For Intervention" under my screen name - no matter how appropriate.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: June 02 2008, 18:22

Quote (TubularBelle @ June 02 2008, 01:04)
Quote (moonchildhippy @ May 31 2008, 09:06)
I'm just wondering how many of the old guard are still posting here, from when I joined in Dec'04.  I know Bee, Alan, Baggiesfaninessex, Holger, Olrac, and Tubularbelle, Inkanta  still post on here quite a bit  .
I'm wondering if JBG, Avellaina, FamilyJules and Ratty still come on here,  I haven't seen Piltdownboy or Sandheaver on here for a little while.  
It's strange the first person I spoke to on here was TubularBelle, and she's virtually as far south as you can get , as I am  north, and the strangest thing of all is we both share the same birthday, but born 11 years apart        
:)  :cool: .

If I hadn't have found these boards I wouldn't have been introduced to some new music and made new (cyber)friends, and it was Avellaina who introduced me to the site where I found my wonderful boyfriend   :)  :D

Thanks for remembering me Moonchild. I still come in here for a look but don't post as often as I use to because I am working full time now and am obsessed with You Tube and my ferrets, (poor little Farken went missing nearly 2 months ago so I have two new ferrets now, Frodo and Fanny). And to be perfectly blunt, I was hurt when I got little interest in my You Tube videos as I had contributed a lot to this forum in the past, and felt ignored. Some may say You Tube has nothing to do with Mike Oldfield, but it was my love for Mike that sent me to the site and many of my videos are about him or feature him in some way. Anyway, I am on afternoon shift now and the job is supposedly finishing in July, so I look forward to coming back to the forum and reconnecting with you all again.

Where is Piltdownboy? He was cool, and TheBigBellEnd?

How is the romance going Moonchild?

Gee, thanks for mentioning that I am SO MUCH OLDER than you! 48 this year, I don't mind, every age has it's advantages. For me, it's reaping the rewards of having a wonderful family, 3 sons, 2 daughter-in-laws and 4 grandchildren, without having to do any of the hard work, and being free to pursue my own interests now, such as my love of animals and meeting people on the net.

OH Bless Frodo and Fanny Ferrets   :cool: .   My ex husband (we remain friends) had a ferret , called Whizz. I nicknamed my then husband "Compo" , after the character in "Last Of The Summer Wine" I think it was more a case of he rescued him, as his previous owner would hit him over the head with a screwdriver, and generally be cruel.  
Anyway my ex would take him for walks up the local pub, having bought a collar and lead, it was summer and I had sandals and bare feet, but Whizz seemed to make a beeline for my toes, which he thought were lunch. I used to hate feeding him if feeding duties were left uo to me, fingers not on the lunch menu.  One day after biting my then father in law on the chin,  he was given to a neighbour to go rabbiting , as he was happier that way.        

Age  is nothing , I mean age is as old or young as you feel, and my boyfriend is 49 this year :cool:, and speaking of my boyfriend, the romance is going really well, except geography and petrol/diesel prices £5.37 and £5.92 a gallon respectively, keep us apart more often than we would like. I do intend moving up to Warwickshire so that I can be with my wonderful boyfriend a.s.a.p., as I know this not seeing each other can get us down.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Tayniee Offline

Posted: June 04 2008, 01:51

Quote (Sweetpea @ June 02 2008, 15:09)

That is very gracious of you to suggest, 3Wheeler, considering you lost your previous postcount when you created a new account last year. Or are you saying you'd post more if you could reach "Ultimate Guru" status??

Though rankings are (IMO) a frivolity, they can be fun. But that depends on what the ranks are, I guess. I mean, I don't know if I'd want a "Candidate For Intervention" under my screen name - no matter how appropriate.

The definition of 'elite' ; a relatively small and often powerful  group or a chosen part of a group that is considered to be intellectually professionally or socially superior.

I don't believe in elitism, that is, I don't have a belief that some people are superior to other's and deserve special treatment.

But for those who on some level do believe in elitism, I wonder what truly constitutes a superior MO fan.

In an earlier thread I made referrence to 'unfriendly forces' and I think I was referring to an elitist attitude that I pick up sometimes on this forum, and by nature such an attitude cannot come across as 'friendly', how can it?

--------------
As we all know, endings are just beginnings.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: June 04 2008, 06:05

There's a reason why we haven't implemented any kind of ranking feature and it's mostly that we don't really value purely the number of posts people make. Obviously when somebody stops by and makes a regular contribution to the community, that's a great thing, but that's something separate from quantity alone. We'd certainly not want people to feel that they're somehow below other people simply because they don't say as much. We'd much prefer that people speak because they have something to say, rather than because they feel they have to say something.

On the subject of unfriendliness, we (the admin team) are here to listen and we do take it seriously when people come to us with a problem, so do feel free to send us a PM or an email if you have any concerns. What we do from there depends very much on the nature of the problem, but we do always look into any problems that seem to be appearing. We reserve the right to munch tubular bell cookies during the process.
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: June 04 2008, 09:21

Yum....tubular bells cookies! Great with chai tea! Korg is absolutely right in what he has expressed. I will add that we spend considerable time at different points monitoring and discussing forum situations. Have to do a major dance workout with Mike's music to make up for all those TB cookies consumed during the process, hehe!

Tubular.net is a diverse community of people, comprising many cultures, languages, styles, and foci, yet brought together by a common interest--Mike's music. The way that interest is expressed, varies. Some folks have the time and desire to post. Others, who are ardent fans (I hiked Hergest Ridge with one of them) do not have time. Sometimes members post to particular forums or about specific works. Artists, musicians, and tabber/musicians also frequent the forums. I have been here for a number of years, finding it a pretty inviting and friendly place. It's not only in my own mind or experience, but others have expressed this, as well. I don't think any community except maybe Woodstock in the 60's is a total love-fest, though, and problems do arise and have to be addressed.

It is an interesting experience to settle into an established community. I joined a couple of prog rock discussion groups awhile back where everyone seems to know each other, go to concerts together, etc. On one hand, I've not felt part of the party and I suppose some would find the experience a bit unwelcoming or unfriendly. On the other hand, I'm ok with that, realizing that in any community, whether here in the virtual world or in the real world, it takes time to settle in, feel a part of things, to get past the culture shock, and it's more about me than anything they are doing.

Back to tubular.net...we actually formed the "Meet and Greet" area awhile ago to help with this, i.e. building community.

My final observation for today:  I was recently reminded by a dear friend whom I met through the Oldfield community a decade ago that you pretty much get back what you put into the world, i.e., when you give love and kindness to the world, you tend to get love and kindness back.

Peace, love, and tubular bells cookies,

Inkanta

p.s. the kourabiedes recipe works really well for getting the shape right!

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 04 2008, 13:27

I'd have to say i agree totally Inkanta.I've been hear a while and feel part of the furniture now (are you there Sweetpea?)and i've found it to be a  really friendly place as well as very very informative.Oldfield fans are few and far between ("oh yeah Tubular Bells....isn't he the guy that did the Exorcist?)so this place is invaluable.
I'd also agree with your comments on 'problems' arising.Yes people can get a little heated in discussion on a subject they are passionate about but on the whole it's pretty good natured.So a big thanks to the administrators and everyone who have made me feel very welcome! :)

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Tayniee Offline

Posted: June 04 2008, 17:15

I was wanting to explore the subject of 'elitism', as a character trait, a trait we all possess to a degree. I don't see it as a particularly 'hot' word as such, but I suspect it may be viewed that way. It is something I believe we all need to be aware of in ourselves and kept a check of.

--------------
As we all know, endings are just beginnings.
Profile PM 
ommadawn69 Offline

Posted: June 07 2008, 01:13

Well I don't consider myself as an old guard, even though on June 16 of this month I would be here 5 years. But I only have about 24 posts or something like that.

On other forums I have been on the topic of fans better than anothers because of how many albums they have, or how many times they have seen their favourite artists, or even the number of posts one makes. Now I am not saying this forum has that mentality, and the people here are a different caliber of people than some that meet on the other forums (not Mike Oldfield forums to let you know).

A forum I am on that talks about another favourite artist of mine, does have a system in place where if you post more than you have a title, on that forum I am in the highest title, and some with the same title have, at times, expressed that they are in a "elite" area of fans. And then there are others who post silly and pointless messages just to gain different titles. And that takes the fun out of the idea of a forum.

This forum is fine the way it is, no titles for how many posts, because in the end who cares how many posts one does, or doesn't do, we are fans here of Mike Oldfield. That should be enough.

Even with the fact that I don't contribute as much as I would like to, as I am a moderator for a Mike Oldfield fan group on Yahoo, that people here are very nice and very cool with me and don't 'talk' down to me. This forum is quite a group, and I love dropping in every once and awhile and checking up on news and fun stuff here. We definetley don't need a title system for posts, we just need all members here, old guards, new guards, to feel free to come here when they want, and post whenever they want, and always be accepted by each other.

Keep up the great work admin members. And thanks to all of you members here for being who you are.  :)

Craig

--------------
http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/TheAlternativeMikeOldfieldGroup/
Profile PM 
summer Offline

Posted: June 13 2008, 13:17

Excuse me. I think if you guys were trying to get a status purely on posting alot of comments.......please do you guys seriously have nothing to do with your time?

Also, is life outside of the Mike Oldfield forum that lame that aspiring to be a 'Guru' would be fun for you?

The pretentiousness and artificial drivel on here drives me bananas!
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 13 2008, 13:27

Er i think i would agree with you Summer.This is really taking this thing to far.Ok we're all fans but aspiring to be a guru?Er no thanks. ;)

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: June 13 2008, 15:03

I agree completely about saying no to rankings of any form - particularly based on post count!

An alternative could be a light-hearted annual competition, categories chosen by the admins, PM'd suggestions for winners and then a virtual tubular cookie winner announced for each category. For instance:
  • Most missed old-guard
  • Saddest geek (combines with award for most posts probably :p )
  • Best contribution by a new forum member
  • Funniest post
  • Most pointless new topic posting
  • Worst threadjack

OK, maybe we should just stick to talking about Mikes music instead  (before I find myself winning in that penultimate category! )  :)

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 13 2008, 15:21

Quote (summer @ June 13 2008, 13:17)
Also, is life outside of the Mike Oldfield forum that lame that aspiring to be a 'Guru' would be fun for you?

Well, if the "pretentiousness and artificial drivel" in this forum is driving you nuts, I imagine what you'd say about the bad forums - which constitute about 95% of the Internet. Really, the amount of nonsense in the history of this forum so far is microscopic. The vast majority of people are relaxing and having fun in here; eventually a dense conversation pops up, but only because the people in this forum are - up to some extent - willing to do some thinking.

And, unfortunately, on the Internet, that is a rare thing.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: June 13 2008, 17:25

Quote (summer @ June 13 2008, 13:17)

Excuse me. I think if you guys were trying to get a status purely on posting alot of comments.......please do you guys seriously have nothing to do with your time?

Apparently your diatribe was directed at 3Wheeler and myself, since you quoted us both, though I'm baffled as to why you should feel so offended by our comments. Ranks are a common occurence on message boards, so it's not surprising that it's been suggested here. I'm pretty sure 3Wheeler has no desire to post just for the sake of a rank, thus my teasing remark in response. And - if you'd read my post - you will see that I am ambivalent about ranks, being neither strongly for nor against the matter. Whether you're for or against the idea is your prerogative, but you've really blown these lighthearted remarks out of proportion, and your insults are entirely out of line.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: June 14 2008, 00:23

Ranking albums is one thing-that's fun.  Ranking posters?  Ugh.  Pointless and silly.  Keep that BS on YouTube where it belongs.
Profile PM 
ommadawn69 Offline

Posted: June 14 2008, 09:27

Quote (Matt @ June 13 2008, 15:03)
I agree completely about saying no to rankings of any form - particularly based on post count!

An alternative could be a light-hearted annual competition, categories chosen by the admins, PM'd suggestions for winners and then a virtual tubular cookie winner announced for each category. For instance:
  • Most missed old-guard
  • Saddest geek (combines with award for most posts probably :p )
  • Best contribution by a new forum member
  • Funniest post
  • Most pointless new topic posting
  • Worst threadjack

OK, maybe we should just stick to talking about Mikes music instead  (before I find myself winning in that penultimate category! )  :)

I agree with you here Matt. Especially the last part. :)

--------------
http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/TheAlternativeMikeOldfieldGroup/
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: June 14 2008, 10:02

Quote (Bassman @ June 14 2008, 05:23)
Pointless and silly.  Keep that BS on YouTube where it belongs.

I'm very tempted to go off on my own rant about pointless and silly BS, because we've noticed a lot of that going on here lately, some of it feeling like something out of a bad film. Our definition of pointless and silly is the one that counts - we try to be fair and patient, but we don't have to be, and if we feel like our time is being wasted, we'll deal with things using the quickest solution. That means we'll ban people, without warning and without discussion. Our decision is final - our forum, our choice. Three accounts have already been closed in the past week and one more is in extreme danger...

We know what the issues here are. We know that certain people have a problem with certain other people. We've already offered to listen to concerns, but the response to that offer seems to have been that it was ignored and hostility has continued. I'm not surprised certain people feel like they're being shut out of a clique, if their method of fitting in is going round systematically attacking people.

Get along or get out. That's the final word on the issue as far as I'm concerned.
Profile PM 
139 replies since Oct. 22 2001, 20:16 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (7) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net