Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Too old, Time has run over this place :)< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Iksion Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 13 2006, 16:00

Ok this forum looks to old and simple...I mean its too sirius and...hm...Empty...It woud be great to createy new and much inproved forum :) I mean this one is reeeeeealy old :) What do you think about this? Or is there any chance we inprove this one???? o.O

--------------
Im crazy old man,
Im dressed in red,
I drink sky like honey,
enough i have said.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Nov. 13 2006, 17:04

Quote (Iksion @ Nov. 13 2006, 21:00)
Ok this forum looks to old and simple...I mean its too sirius and...hm...Empty...It woud be great to createy new and much inproved forum :) I mean this one is reeeeeealy old :) What do you think about this? Or is there any chance we inprove this one???? o.O

Well, things come and things go. Times change. If Mike actually did something everyone would sit up and take notice and this place would be buzzing. But he's just getting on with his quiet life, I guess, and we just have the existing material to play with, which we've worked over quite a lot. So this is a quiet patch.

If you'd been here a few months ago you'd have seen the Tres Lunas Guide growing in leaps and bounds, with hundreds of new posts and dozens of new images appearing. A while before that, we were all falling over each other to talk about Light and Shade.

I think this is just how a Mike Oldfield forum is, really. Up and down.
Profile PM 
Iksion Offline

Posted: Nov. 13 2006, 17:12

Bah...I see... But look...Its look! Its too simple! IT woud be much,much better thet we make it some how MIKES Style...With a pictures,arows and evrything! I think if we all here get together thet we can make a stuning place :D Or em i just driming again... :(

--------------
Im crazy old man,
Im dressed in red,
I drink sky like honey,
enough i have said.
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Nov. 13 2006, 17:21

Lots of the users are old too.

nothing wrong with it if you ask me - it's simple and I can log onto it using my phone from allover the world.  If you make it fance will I be able to do that.

Also - it's quick, fancy means more breakages???

Just my op'nion.

Ray  :cool:

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
Iksion Offline

Posted: Nov. 13 2006, 17:34

Heh i thought thet it look more...Colorful...Its looks so lifless like this...I mean he is full with life but its too...old and i woud like to see a new kind of forum. Not too fency and not to simple (like this) something more Mikes Style...Something misteryus :O ;)

--------------
Im crazy old man,
Im dressed in red,
I drink sky like honey,
enough i have said.
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Nov. 13 2006, 18:45

i understand what you mean, but effects, pictures and more on a site will cost??
Since time changes and there is quiet moments around here i guess it must be difficult to have a "better" site?
But have a look on the Engima site here
I like the look and the black color, but i think black and mistery belongs to Enigma and not Mike.
When i imagine Mike i think more Hergert ridge and earth colors (i dont know the word in english) But with earth colours i mean; like this or green
The earth colours is green, orange, brown (like them you find in nature of course) But no strong colours. But like the blue colour we have on this forum, it is more light...
Anyway, pictures is always nice to see and new artwork of course.
But things like this cost money and this site have worked like this many years and alot of you seems to love the site.
The most important is the members. We seem to love Mike and likes to talk about him, and the best part of it; it works!  ;)
But i must agree alittle.. It would be nice with some pictures.
Maybe this topic should be moved to
about this forum topic

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Nov. 13 2006, 19:18

Indeed....away it flies to another forum. Eventually, we'll be updating things. There is the issue of cost and purpose. I find this forum pretty easy on the psyche. I belong to one where the main purpose seems to be to post billions of pictures (the same pictures) within the sig file to post as much as possible. Some people have over 12,000--and they only joined that forum a year ago! OK...maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration, but not much. I get totally lost there and find it too large to ever feel at home--sort of like a church with 30,000 members. It's just too big. They don't even follow their own guidelines. After going on and on and on and on about appropriate pictures and posts (they'd never have allowed links to the artwork that we have here), they allowed an incredibly expicit post--and people kept repeating it in its entirety in their replies! Then one of the admins posted to remind people about the guidelines. But really, sometimes it's challenging to find the actual posts among all the pictures.

I've also recently joined another music forum that looks a lot like this one, right down to the blue background. People don't post every hour--you can actually follow the threads! The band members are also on the forum, interacting with everyone (there is an "Ask the Band" section). It is a pleasure to be there. Some people post a few pics within their sigs; guess if we were going to do anything, I'd suggest something along those lines.

But....point taken, Iksion--I will make sure that the list owner has seen your remarks. :)

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Nov. 13 2006, 19:53

O wopuld be interested to see what Iksion considers to be "modern". The forums with a zillion members still have just a core of posters, some sites are all flash and no content. We have a great community here.

Yes, the layout and colour themes are a bit dated, but it works. As Ray said, simple works on many different formats. (another thread topic? - what's the oddest place you've accessed Tub.Net from?)

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Nov. 14 2006, 03:51

Quote (Inkanta @ Nov. 14 2006, 00:18)
But really, sometimes it's challenging to find the actual posts among all the pictures.

I think that's really important. Those message boards where people have huge bold signatures with images, endlessly repeated every time they post, are a pain. It would be horrible to see Tubular.net go down that route.
Profile PM 
Iksion Offline

Posted: Nov. 14 2006, 05:55

By misteryus i get same idea like Tubularman. Something green and strange but not to pushy... Mike isnt dark he is MYSTICAL. Something like Mikes offical site but allitle lighter... :)

--------------
Im crazy old man,
Im dressed in red,
I drink sky like honey,
enough i have said.
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Nov. 14 2006, 07:16

yes like his site! Why did i not think about that he he..  :O

But like you said Alan ; "message boards where people have huge bold signatures with images"
I agree, it can be a mess! It is like that on the Pink Floyd forum.
But idid get use to it..
What i like about is the possible to make better avatars. I think they get to small on this forum.

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Iksion Offline

Posted: Nov. 14 2006, 14:09

Yea...your right Tube...But i dont think they gona change this :((((

--------------
Im crazy old man,
Im dressed in red,
I drink sky like honey,
enough i have said.
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: Nov. 14 2006, 20:46

Quote (Iksion @ Nov. 14 2006, 04:55)
By misteryus i get same idea like Tubularman. Something green and strange but not to pushy... Mike isnt dark he is MYSTICAL. Something like Mikes offical site but allitle lighter... :)

Blue is a color of the mystical and spiritual in many earth-based traditions. For example, when we cast our circle in the woods, some can see a faint blue circle of light eminating upwards from it. When Joseph Bruchac depicted the Lakota spiritual leader, Crazy Horse, in a children's book, he used blue, as in Lakota tradition, blue is associated with spirit. When someone had a near-death experience as a result of a car accident, she watched the efforts to revive her, and also saw a stream of blue light coming from a car several vehicles back. She noted the license plate and later on looked up the owners. She learned that they were indeed at the scene of the accident, and were praying for the safety of those in the crash. You can do a lot of interesting things with the color Blue.... and green for that matter (some Native peoples like the Apaches did not traditionally have a separate name for blue and green--they were (are?) seen as different shades of the same color--blue) . :)

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
Iksion Offline

Posted: Nov. 15 2006, 01:39

Quote (Inkanta @ Nov. 14 2006, 20:46)
Quote (Iksion @ Nov. 14 2006, 04:55)

Blue is a color of the mystical and spiritual in many earth-based traditions. For example, when we cast our circle in the woods, some can see a faint blue circle of light eminating upwards from it. When Joseph Bruchac depicted the Lakota spiritual leader, Crazy Horse, in a children's book, he used blue, as in Lakota tradition, blue is associated with spirit. When someone had a near-death experience as a result of a car accident, she watched the efforts to revive her, and also saw a stream of blue light coming from a car several vehicles back. She noted the license plate and later on looked up the owners. She learned that they were indeed at the scene of the accident, and were praying for the safety of those in the crash. You can do a lot of interesting things with the color Blue.... and green for that matter (some Native peoples like the Apaches did not traditionally have a separate name for blue and green--they were (are?) seen as different shades of the same color--blue) . :)

:D Nice story! And i didnt know thet! ;) thx inkata for a good a information!

--------------
Im crazy old man,
Im dressed in red,
I drink sky like honey,
enough i have said.
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Nov. 15 2006, 09:00

Quote (Iksion @ Nov. 13 2006, 17:34)
Heh i thought thet it look more...Colorful...Its looks so lifless like this...I mean he is full with life but its too...old and i woud like to see a new kind of forum. Not too fency and not to simple (like this) something more Mikes Style...Something misteryus :O ;)

As long as you keep the effects on the margins. There's nothing worse than a forum with funny fonts and gray letters on black backgrounds. The readability of the text should not be tampered with.

Mike's style? site wise? No thanks. His web sites unfortunately are barely usable and violate all kinds of rules. Right now, those boxes at the bottom do not resize/move when the browser window is resized like they are supposed to. At least it is not as bad as when he first debuted his official site: the menu-click items actually skated all over the screen, so you had to chase them with the mouse. This actually ranks with the very worst web UI features I've ever seen.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Posted: Nov. 15 2006, 12:01

I agree with many of the comments already posted about the importance of retaining the clarity, simplicity and robustness of the current site. However, maybe Iksion is correct that it would benefit from a bit of a makeover?

I imagine there are things that could be done (different colour scheme, new graphics for buttons, minor hack to HTML layout) that would retain the good things about the site but provide a fresh look. I also wonder if some of the site members (e.g. Iksion!;) were prepared to do the donkey work in preparing the materials, maybe the board administrators would be prepared to put the changes in place (e.g. replacing icon files) assuming they were of suitable quality and clarity?

Me, I don't have the time, inclination or design skill to contribute myself but I wonder what the board administrators think? Am I misunderstanding what changes are easy to make to a board like this?

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
glasgow_tubular Offline

Posted: Nov. 15 2006, 12:14

I think the site looks alright but i still reckon theres way too many threads. maybe a simpler layout with maybe 10 threads per page. The runrig forum is really easy and also has fairly older members who can all manage to work the site. Think it all looks fine tho. It looks fresh.

--------------
www.myspace.com/allaroundmyhat
Profile PM 
Quicksilver Offline

Posted: Nov. 15 2006, 13:58

I think changing the forum style is a good idea
Profile PM 
Iksion Offline

Posted: Nov. 16 2006, 03:33

So what shell be? I hope thet they gona make it better ;) If they wont afcorse this was only a sugestion :D

--------------
Im crazy old man,
Im dressed in red,
I drink sky like honey,
enough i have said.
Profile PM 
CuNimb Offline

Posted: Nov. 21 2006, 07:19

I like it as it is. I'm much more interested in substance than style. I'm very grateful to the people who administer the board for our amusement.

--------------
Happy? ha ha ha....
Profile PM 
24 replies since Nov. 13 2006, 16:00 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net