Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: To Be Free VS To Be Free "Bonus radio edit", any difference between the two?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Drealm Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 11 2010, 18:43

Can anyone explain the difference between track #7 and #14 on Tres Lunas?

For me they sound exactly the same so the last song is very annoying while listening to the album on random, getting the same song two times.

So what in the hell is different in this "#14 radio edit". The only difference is 25 seconds.

#7: 4:21
#14: 3:56

So if I understand, they just "cut" 25 seconds from the original song to gain more time for publicity (on the radio)? That's not new. But what is the point to put this version on the album? There's not any difference in the music, so why would anyone want the same song minus 25 second?!

I don't get it.
Profile PM 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: Feb. 11 2010, 19:20

I've never understood it either, and since it's my least favorite song on the album (second least fav MO song ever after "Foreign Affair"), it's double the torture for me.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Feb. 11 2010, 19:24

I quite like "To Be Free", but it's spoilt by the clumsy, rather gauche sounding lyrics (eg, "Because I'm me/Doing just fine").
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Feb. 12 2010, 03:28

@ Drealm: as far as I know, that's what a "radio edit" of a song is supposed to be - a shorter version of the original. How much shorter it is depends, of course, on who does the edit. :) It's got nothing to do with radio, the name comes from the fact that most "pop" radio broadcasters don't play songs that are longer than four minutes - "Bohemian Rhapsody" often being the only notable exception.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Feb. 12 2010, 04:31

I had to play them both again this morning back to back,but I did remember there were a few noticable differences.Mainly in the first chorus in the longer version there is no "big timpani"  as well as a few other subtle changes in the mix.It`s a typical Mike Oldfield "arrangement trick" I suppose in that you kind of know he`s going to give you a bit more second time around.The edited mix pretty much goes into the second chorus first time of asking to kind of grab people`s attention I guess.Personaly I much prefer the longer version.
Profile PM 
4 replies since Feb. 11 2010, 18:43 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net