Posted: April 25 2002, 08:26

if i just could hear it...

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
Tria Selene Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 25 2002, 08:34

Hey, theweightless, we've uploaded the sample at http://www.tr3slunas.com, our webpage, so... you COULD!

And now you can find the lyrics (with some errors.. it's a bit difficult because of the broadcaster voices... smile)

Tria Selene
Profile PM WEB 
Vladimir Offline

Posted: April 25 2002, 09:06

This song reminds me of Jarre's "Give Me A Sign" from "Metamorphosis".

Mike is GREAT experimentalist.
Profile PM WEB 

Unregistered

Posted: April 25 2002, 09:09

This track is unlike the rest of the album, there are a number of different versions, chill-out, radio edit, dance etc. The single is designed to promote the album and game, so its naturally going to be very "pop" and catchy.

Its difficult to describe an album without hearing it since music touches people in different ways. The closest comparison for Tr3s Lunas is that the album has strong overtones of TSODE. Similar atmospherics, with rich bass, very rhythmic and quite a lot of guitar... and very relaxing at the same time...

Paul

Unregistered

Posted: April 25 2002, 09:15

Who's the singer?? Nice voice and chorus
(It reminds me some chorus in TSODE).

Good bass and drums (and tubular bell!!!). Voice remixes sounds great!!

Easy to remind but in my opinion, too plain.
Let's wait for the whole album!!!
Fox Offline

Posted: April 25 2002, 09:27

Thanks for hosting that mp3. Gave us disadvantaged people to chance to finally hear something from Mike ;-).

It's much different than what I expected. Reminds me of Earth Moving. And to me, that's a good thing haha. Very catchy, and for a single it's good. Although, it's too short (then again, I think Moonlight Shadow is too short, too) haha. It also reminds of TMB (the title track).

I gotta wonder, after all the early criticizm from just hearing this one track, what do you expect? It's a single; it's not supposed to have the deep, textured emotion that a long instrumental has, and I don't expect Mike's work to sound the same he did 20 years ago. As he changes, so does his music. It's supposed to be promotional and appealing to a mass audience, and it's supposed to be taken on its own! Singles are meant to promote a musician, just like Family Man! It's new ground for Mike, and I think he's done a good job.

So for a single it's good. Although it does lack the MO guitar sound, the tubular bells are a nice touch long overdue in a vocal song. Mike's seldom used tubular bells along with lyrics, so I think that makes up for it. And in a way, it's a relief to know the entire MVR won't be just easy-listening, chillout music. There ARE going to be some exciting tracks, too! So for me, it's a comfort that the whole thing won't be chillout. smile
Profile PM 
Nacho Offline

Posted: April 25 2002, 10:17

Does someone know who is the singer? Pepsi? I can't listen to it properly, but I find it to be a pleasant voice.
Profile PM 
3lunas Offline

Posted: April 25 2002, 10:25

horrible ... Mike .. what the f....

I now you like speriment with sounds , but this is only cheap dance music ...
where are TB, Hergest, Ommadawn, Incantations, the lake, The wind chimes, Amarok ...?
oh my .. I´m so sad
Profile PM 
Tubular Belle Offline

Posted: April 25 2002, 10:35

Well it certainly is very un-Oldfield but it's not bad. The singer is Mike's sister Sally (without any doubt) just singing much lower than she usually does - she has a certain way of pronouncing some words which is how I knew it was her.
Profile PM 
timshen Offline

Posted: April 25 2002, 10:53

Ah yes! I knew I recognised the voice - it is Sally! She is also the one who is the voice of the woman in the demo (the walking woman and the voice on encountering the gate thingy on the moon).

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 25 2002, 11:37

A little while ago, when asked what chill-out meant, I jokingly replied that it meant the music only has two chords all the way through...
...count the chords in 'To be Free' and you'll see why I find that quite funny now wink

But more seriously...a very radio friendly song, we'll see if it gets Mike what he wants.

DJs do tend to talk over things like that - it's to put people off from making bootleg recordings (not that it stops people, but it makes it hard to pass it off as anything other than something recorded off the radio).
Profile PM 
Mark 1 Offline

Posted: April 25 2002, 11:40

Thanks for hosting the mp3! It's always exciting to be amongst the first to hear anything new from a favourite artist.

I hope this song will be a major hit for Mike - it has everything going for that, a very modern well produced sound, great rhythm and it is very, very catchy.

I must admit I'd love to hear one of Mikes legendary solos towards the end, but then again that could come in another mix if I'm correct. As it is, I love the song and I'm impressed with the direction for this song.

The way I see it, mike is always experimenting - he doesn't make 20 Amaroks but neither does he make 20 Earth Movings. He continually develops his sound (which, unfortunately, means that some fans won't like some of his music).

Btw., I agree that there's something of Sunlight Shining Through Clouds in it... the same feeling of rising above the clouds.
Profile PM 
Melomaniac Offline

Posted: April 25 2002, 12:22

Thank you, Paul. Before reading your post I didn´t even dare to write a word about this horrible remix. Now, Los 40 radio station is asking people´s oppinion about To Be Free in a e-mail and there are all kinds of oppinions like in this forum. Mine is going to be so negative that I think they´re not going to read it on air.By the way, Has anybody from abroad been able to listen the single on any radio station? If not,maybe it´s going to come true a strong promotion only for Spain, wrong step in Mike´s career. Now he is Miguel Campoviejo ( Spanish for Mike´s name and surname).
Profile PM 
Nacho Offline

Posted: April 25 2002, 12:25

M80 radioin Spain has broadcasted the "normal" version, with less "disco sound". It seems that they have prepared a really good marketing campaign... Time to look for that promo cds!!!!
Profile PM 
Thomas Höögh Offline

Posted: April 25 2002, 12:45

I still love the song, have heard more than 30 times today I think.

Th normal version, someone who can get an mp3 of that one too?

Have not heard on radio in Sweden today (have listen to the mp3 whole day though smile )

I just live the part when the bass goes a step down in verse two, thats the best part I think.

Love the whole concept, bass, Tubular Bells, Sallys voice, the disco tempo (maybe I might here it in a disco sometime) Can't wait to here the normal version though!

--------------
Crazy, terrible, wonderful, perfect!!!!

I just love Tubular Bells |||
Profile PM WEB 
Juan Luis Offline

Posted: April 25 2002, 13:05

I have just heard the single and I am not disappointed nor excited. I think it is a correct song, but we have to remember that this is a remix of the original version. Despite it is not Mike's style I think it is a good song. The lyrics are quite good. smile
The first time I have heard it make me remember the style of some songs of the Eurovision festival of the last years. rolleyes
And (this can only undertand the Spanish people)it also make me remember about the music of some TV ads like Retevisión, Amena or Telefónica. rolleyes
The songs seems very commercial and I think it will be a commercial success.
I guess Tres Lunas will sell at least 200.000 copies in Spain. wink
Profile PM 

Unregistered

Posted: April 25 2002, 14:00

Yes. Exactly. A strong candidate it would be in the Eurovision contest. Pure pop and disco
WITHOUT even being catchy - and I mean it. Sometimes I have weakness for well-written
catchy poptunes, but this is not of the kind.
Yet I do believe that this track (or remix for radio stations?) won't be really representative of the whole album.
perihelion Offline

Posted: April 25 2002, 14:05

AAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHahahah AHAHA AH aHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAhaAH A AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHahahahaha a ahahah ah aha ah ah ah ah ah AAAAAAAAAAHAH AHA AH AH AH AHAHAHHAHHHAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAHAHAHAAAAHHHhhhhhwwwwwhhhhHHHHYYYYYYYYYYyyyyyyyyyyyyy ?!?!?!?!?

WHAT A PIECE OF COMPLETE DOGTURD !!!!!!!!!!

That song would have been perfect for a swedish artist like Kicki Danielsson or something but for Mike Oldfield ?!

If this is the face he want to show the big world outside his fans then BYE Oldfield !
You just put the last nail in the coffin where I'm putting all my previous EXTREME respect for you as an artist.
It's hard to beleive that this crap comes from the same guy who have written fantastic music like "Requiem for a city" on the Killing Fields Sountrack...

How come Mike all of a sudden want's to make music for kids, retards and rednecks ?! WHY ? No money left ? To big influence from his children ? Crazy girlfriend telling him to do music that she likes ? WHY !? WARUM ?! VARFÖR !?

That was the easily the WORST song that Mike EVER has done. I'd rather listen to the album Earth Moving backwards and forwards a hundred times than this track one more ! And I HATE Earth Moving ! Hey, even a techno-remake of Froggy Went A courting would have been surperior to To Be Free !
I'm deleting this track now using a mighty karate-blow on the delete-key ! AAAIIIAAA BANZZAAAAAIII ! [WHAM, and it's gone forever]

How can a fan wish that this track will be a success !!? That would just spurr Mike into doing more dogturds !

For the first time in my life I'm ASHAMED to be an Oldfield-fan... Ashamed of Oldfield, ashamed of the "musician" he has become. I just hope he doesen't retire now, because that would be retiering when he´s the worst.

Now where did I put that new Kent album... At least they write songs that means something.

Farewell Mr Oldfield, I will NOT return...
Profile PM 
Tubular Belle Offline

Posted: April 25 2002, 14:45

Listened to it again a few more times to give it more of a chance to grow on me (like fungus perhaps?) but have decided I HATE it!Bland, Eurotrash! That's what happens when you hang out with brainless 24-year-olds. I think it's high time Mike grew up and became adult entertainment once again!

The Oldfield who we used to know and love, R.I.P.!!!! Those days are long gone,,,,

The plot has been lost ,,,, finito!
Profile PM 
christopher Offline

Posted: April 25 2002, 15:01

Amongst so many negative comments... especially the one above... YUK YUK... just his taste I suppose... but here is my take on this new song (REMIX - let's not foget)...

FANTASTIC... ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!! smile smile smile smile

Well done Mike... this song fits the atmosphere of the game perfect... the lyrics and the rythm!!

Now on to the song analysis... to me it has a very Aqua and Rednex feel... the new Rednex "The Chase"... NOT the "Cotton Eye Joe" Rednex days. It's very upbeat and happy... makes me want to go on an adventure of my own... then again I'm a flight attendant... so this will be my theme-song for my next trip and my adventure up to Seattle, Victoria Island, and Vancouver in May... when I will hopefully be able to purchase Mike's new album in Canada!!! smile PRAISE CANADA PRAISE CANADA... they have lots of taste in music what can I say!!!! (To the tune of "Blame Canada" from the Southpark movie)

True that if I was just another radio listener I would not know that "To Be Free" belongs to Mike Oldfield... but that doesn't matter... it's catchy and yet another curve ball thrown in the direction of the media and fans... and personally I don't like to be able to predict what an artist will do next... I like to be surprised and with "To Be Free" I am freshly surprised!! smile

Thank you very much to "Tria Selene" who generously made the song available to those in the States!! smile

- Christopher

P.S. Those bloody DJ's are as talkative during a song as American DJ's are... sheesh why don't they shut up!!!! wink
Profile PM 
127 replies since April 24 2002, 14:26 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (7) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net