Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (7) < ... 2 3 4 5 6 [7] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: 'To Be Free' broadcast on Spanish radio< Next Oldest | Next Newest >

Unregistered

Posted: April 30 2002, 23:36

Did Mike use one of these interesting items on his new album/CD?I think yes.....

http://www.rlinndesign.com/products/adrenalinn.shtml
christopher Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 01 2002, 03:57

Merlin writes... "But commercial taste of the newer generation is more superficial than ever: the thing to write them is to get down to their taste, but to lift them up!"

I take it you are saying that an artist sometimes has to get down to the level of a younger and newer generation of listeners in order to attract them to the older catalog of better material!?

If so I totally agree that this is true!!! smile Take for instance violinist Vanessa Mae... she turned classical music into modern dance trax in order to get a younger generation intersted in that type of music. This is the sign of a good marketing strategy by a a smart musician. Garth Brooks was another example of that concept in marketing... cross barriers and try new things.

You see... I am also a musician who writes all styles of music and what I write next is as just a mystery to me as to my listeners. I have also experimented with various styles that would quote "not be really me." If you want a perfect example of a musician who HAS learned the art of staying up with the times you have to only think of Madonna.

Mike has stayed up with times for the most part... sometimes arriving to early with an idea or to late. I feel that we need to wait to hear the full album in order to see the true context of "2 B Free." However, it will probably be the MITR complex... a vocal track amongst all the instrumental trax. But if you look back at all of Oldfield's albums... especially during the 80's you will see that he has done the very same thing. Only now-a-days those long trax of his with multiple themes have been shortened into shorter trax in the attempt to make him more commercial... and you have to be commercialably acceptable in order to capture and keep a newer and younger audience... simply put... you must change with the times.

Here is an example... You can take what I call the attitude of "some" of the British towards the newer Dr. Who episode made by FOX television here in the states back a few years and dismiss it as the X-Files version of Dr. Who or you can except that concepts must evolve to stay afloat! That is my comparison to the attitudes towards the new song and people that say it is bad... especially the remix. You cannot compare old Madonna to new Madonna it just won't stick. You must take it at face value and not compare... it won't work so why try. This is something I had to understand at one point too.

True I prefer the whaling guitar at high pitches to something like "2 B Free" but I am taking this as a fresh approach and an attempt to modernize and keep with the times. The song fits perfectly the atmosphere of MusicVR and the expressive lyrics help to make and keep this atmosphere.

Like I said before and I'll say it again... as much as I love Tubular Bells... MIke Oldfield should have shelved that concept long time ago when he had the chance. The sign that a musician is running out of ideas is when he must continuesly return to one concept in order to sell an album! Otherwise known as the Oldfield syndrome. For a change Mike is giving the BELL a much needed retirement... and presenting a fresh concept full of fun and excitement... something that will hopefully start a whole new wave of video-games. Mike Oldfield is a pioneer not follower. But sometimes you must follow in order to leed. Now... If only we could convince him NOT to release the TB one in 2003!

I have said all I am going to say. I am going to wait for the album to come out and except whatever Mike has done! I am just thankful it's not another Tubular Bells album!!!

Sorry to rattle on like this... Hope everyone is doing good! smile

- Christopher

PS I have made a bumper sticker for my car with new MusicVR logo and the web address in an attempt to try and make people wonder what it is and go to the site. I want MusicVR to be just as much a revolution for the gaming industry as Tubular Bells was to the music industry back in 1973! wink
Profile PM 

Unregistered

Posted: May 01 2002, 13:33

I certainly see the sense in some of Christophers points.However I do not agree with all points raised.I dont believe Mike runs out of ideas he merely needs time to rest between consecutive releases.He has a phenomenal level of creativity.I genuinely believe him doing another Tub is hardly due to him having a lack of ideas. I wont be drawn on why he is doing another Tubular Bells I simply dont have the facts or business strategies he and the publishes are engaging in at present.Fact Tubular bells was a commercial success Fact the sound of this disc is as uncommercial sounding as it gets.The same goes for Hergest Ridge,Ommadawn and many more of the Oldfield back catalogue.It is becoming ever more difficult for established actists to naintain their standing in a commercial arena which is completely wide open to virtually anyone who wants to be a... Ahem, Celebrity particularly with the rise of internet access around the world. it is however not entirely impossible. Off the top of my head U2 have largely retained their original distinct voice which is not greatly that of a commercial sound whatever benchmark one uses to identify Commercial sound.Anyway good for you Christopher with those stickers its a cool idea.I hope lots of people see this.Mike deserves a wide as possible audience for MVR the world sadly has too much negativity at present.Cheers everyone not long to go now.
oblique Offline

Posted: May 01 2002, 16:24

Since my computer has been malfunctioning the last couple of months(!) I've only now been able to listen to To be free for the first time.

Perhaps I should not have read all of your comments. Most of them aren't that positive (cough), but I've tried to be open-minded.

Well now, to be honest I'm not disappointed. Even without a guitarsolo I would have recognised it as a MO song (this might have to do with the fact that I've been listening to his music for the past 26 years). And it's not that bad either. O.K., I've heard better but it's not that crappy, even though the most of you seem to think it is. Give the man some credit, we all have our lesser days.

--------------
"While we are alive we should sit among colored lights and taste good wines, and discuss our adventures in far places; when we are dead, the opportunity is past." - Jack Vance
Profile PM 
mirwais57 Offline

Posted: May 14 2002, 04:26

its okay. i can understand MO for trying to do songs that will get on the charts because if they don't he wont get any money, so he can't continue making music, and mobody wants that.

--------------
http://www.mp3.com/57_13/
http://www.angelfire.com/electronic2/57_ttpo_13/

NB: Avatar = Mirwais himself.
Profile PM WEB 
Baggiesfaninessex Offline

Posted: May 14 2002, 18:04

Forgive me, but I am quite shocked at some of the REALLY extreme and downright rude comments this track has attracted. True, it is not his best piece of music, but neither is it his worst. I would prefer to defer any final judgement until the track is heard in the overall context of the album...it's called sleeping on it, counting to ten or giving a record a few more spins....

I will be the first to admit that Mike's releases of the nineties do not compare to his early years with Virgin, but I respect the opinions of many within these forums who first discovered Mike during recent years and for whom the likes of TMB and TBIII are among the finest of his work.

Come on peeps, these are still exciting times for any MO fan, there is loads of new music to discover and enjoy...just chill a little and give it time... cool

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
sally Offline

Posted: May 15 2002, 08:02

Ohoh, poor Mikey! ;-) I just read some very bad critics!
Well, I actually was a bit shocked when I listened to it for the first time, as well. I expected something different. But by now I even like it. Of course it is not at all one of Mike's best works, but it is a nice summer song ( probably it will even become a summer-hit?), which would be nice to hear on the radio! It is nothing special and I think like all the other radio hits it will get on your nerves if you listen to it a lot, but let's take it not too seriously. ;-) Once again Mike surprised his fans! I still have some hope that the album will be a bit TSODE-like! :-)
Profile PM 

Unregistered

Posted: June 15 2002, 10:46

I am a big fan of Mike since Earth Moving,all right,ups and downs "Voyager"...
But stp slagging him off because he's done something different!

2 b free is fine and Tr3s Lunas OK!!!

Mike,your music has been very sopportive to me for the last 14 years,big thanks!

:D
127 replies since April 24 2002, 14:26 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (7) < ... 2 3 4 5 6 [7] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net