[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (7) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: 'To Be Free' broadcast on Spanish radio< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Tria Selene Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 25 2002, 04:19

Hello!

We listened "To Be Free" half an hour ago... what do you think about it? You didn't listen to it yet?
Well, don't worry! The sample will be uploaded shortly at http://www.tr3slunas.com (hey guys, what about our domain name??) biggrin

We'll be in contact here. Our homepage is coming... wink

Tria Selene
Profile PM WEB 
Hendrik Offline

Posted: April 25 2002, 04:29

Hmmm...,
I am very dissapointed!
Where was the Guitar? The Vioce is great, but the Text...? :-(
The songs reminds me of one 2 Years ago, but i can´t remind waht songwriter it was!
It´s not typical Mike Oldfield really !!!
It´s a typical radio-background song.

I hope the Tres Luna CD will be much greater then this one. More as TSODE please !!!

Please put the song as MP3 on someone´s website or server soon! I think I have to listen to it several more times to accustom to it ! ;-)

Best wishes from Germany, Bochum

Hendrik
Profile PM 
tytus Offline

Posted: April 25 2002, 05:08

It looks like Mike wanted to create hit as a Moonlight Shadow.
I hope this song will be only promo of the forthcoming album.
Someone said that it's simmilar to ABBA. For me it's like Britney or sth like this. Did Mike change sex? frown

Profile PM WEB 
Tria Selene Offline

Posted: April 25 2002, 05:08

It's online, so get it and hear it again, and again, and again... smile
It's here! http://www.tr3slunas.com
We want to know your opinion about this first single!

Tria Selene
Profile PM WEB 
Hendrik Offline

Posted: April 25 2002, 05:27

I forgot to write, the the bell hits on ever "to be..." are used to remind everyone that this is from Mike O. *lol* smile))))))))))

Ok, I´ve listened to it several times now ,thank you Tria Selene, and it´s refreshing but still disappointing !!!
Profile PM 

Unregistered

Posted: April 25 2002, 05:31

It's not exactly art, but I must admit I kinda like it...

A happy tune.
MichielC Offline

Posted: April 25 2002, 05:40

This is just promotional blurb.
It's clear to me he wants a new generation
listening to his music and it's the only way to get MVR marketable. I'm wondering how this works out??

Greetings,

M
Profile PM WEB 

Unregistered

Posted: April 25 2002, 05:45

Oh my!

For an ABBA remake, it's ok.
But an Oldfield song?

Let's hope it's a remix.

Picture this:
You've got a time machine, and you travel back to 1972 during the making of Tubular Bells. Then you play this song for Mike - how do you think he would react?
gvcobb Offline

Posted: April 25 2002, 05:56

oh michael what have you done!
I only hope this is a remix for the spanish market!

There is no oldfield signature in this at all- who are you listening to for marketing advice? steps perhaps!

I suspect the whole oldfield fan base is going to be deeply disappointed with this. I only hope the album is nothing like this.

After 30 odd years of top quality music this has got to be the biggest let down ever! I'm mortified.
Profile PM 
Nacho Offline

Posted: April 25 2002, 06:01

Well. I've heard it in very bad conditions (at work, with a lot of noise and phone calls), and I found it very catchy, new, optimistic and, again, different. The best thing: it is not definitely chill-out. But I really need to listen to it more times and more carefully. Anyway, Mike's BACK again!!!!! And let's wait for the different languages versions...
Profile PM 
gvcobb Offline

Posted: April 25 2002, 06:16

I must rant on again BECAUSE I am so dissappointed I can hardly put intowords or text.

We have been looking forward to MVR and the new album for so long with eager anticipation this is a huge huge blow!

I intend to wipe this from my records. I will not buy it and it most certainly will ruin the album!

This may well turn out to be the first MO album I will not buy in 30 odd years!

Profile PM 
Thomas Höögh Offline

Posted: April 25 2002, 06:17

I lite it VERY much. Once again Mikes surprise us with sometihng total unexpected and nothing like at all what we are used to here. The missing guitar doesn't bother me, I like when artists surprise there listeners. Amit, how fun would it be if it sounded like something he had done before. Like the eqaulity between Moonlight Shadow and Man in the Rain? I'm surprised and I like it smile

Good work Mike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have you noticed the more heavier basstone in the second vers?

--------------
Crazy, terrible, wonderful, perfect!!!!

I just love Tubular Bells |||
Profile PM WEB 
Mosaria Offline

Posted: April 25 2002, 07:02

I have only heard part of the song, but i really liked that little bit. I am looking forward to hearing the whole album so much more now. I totaly agree with whoever said that the difference is good. When an artist starts to repet himself, that's when i get worried. "To be free" is a pleasant surprise to me. I had braced myself for something worse.

Mosaria
Profile PM 

Unregistered

Posted: April 25 2002, 07:06

First thought: whatthefuck...???

Second thought: this might be another case of "Lets stick a popsong into the middle of this otherwise instrumental album". Remember Man in the Rain? That was hardly a typical TBIII track, was it?

Let's not forget that Mike refers to the album as chill-out, inspired by Caipuera (sp?) and such... So, I'm not too worried yet.

Ste van: don't do it, mate! Mike would run off screaming, beat himself senseless with a Tubular Bell, and become a disgruntled postal worker who'd never touch a guitar again! ;-)
Allan_N Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 25 2002, 07:07

Can someone please shoot all Spanish DJs? I have a recording of TB3 @ Horseguards Parade from Spanish TV and it suffers from the same non-stop chattering.

The track is very uninteresting, but well produced. Sounds *exactly* like all recent upbeat pop hits. Doesn't sound the slightest bit like MO. Mike recently said that most of the stuff he hears on the radio is pathetic. A bit ironic maybe?

I don't think it's gonna be a hit. But maybe Coca Cola will want to use it for a Fanta TV ad.
Profile PM WEB 
timshen Offline

Posted: April 25 2002, 07:13

Love it! Love it! Love it!

OK, it has no guitars, but I love its simplicity and it does sum up the spirit of MusicVR IMHO! It has a pure , childlike quality about it and a rush of joy which we all need! The voice IS GREAT with just the right emotion to go with the words.

Not Mike? Well, it is in some senses - the repetetive melodies being subtly built upon.

Well, I like it anyway!

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
timshen Offline

Posted: April 25 2002, 07:28

Well, I do like it! It's refreshing and uplifting - OK, not at all what I was expecting and not high up on my favourites by Mike (well, it may be quite high in his song category - need to listen to it more).

It seems to fit the overall spirit of MusicVR.

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
Tria Selene Offline

Posted: April 25 2002, 07:48

It seems like Mike wants a new "Man in the Rain" for Tr3s Lunas, a promotional and commercial single, different of the rest of the album (I can't imagine "To be Free" sounding while I'm playing MusicVR.. I hope it won't appear).

OK, it's not what we could expect from Mike and from an album like Tr3s Lunas, that seems so similar to The Songs of Distant Earth... Perhaps we need to hear it more. I think it's a good song, at all.

Tria Selene
Profile PM WEB 
seanmagh Offline

Posted: April 25 2002, 08:09

Does anyone know if the music of Tr3s Lunas is going to be the same of the MusicVR game????
Profile PM 
the soil man Offline

Posted: April 25 2002, 08:16

I must say that I like "To Be Free" quite a lot - it grows on you! Am I mistaken, or do I here some overtones of "Sunlight Shining Through Cloud" in there? I think this should be a commercial success - what a better way of promoting the impressive Music VR-project!
Profile PM 
127 replies since April 24 2002, 14:26 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (7) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net