Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (7) < 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: 'To Be Free' broadcast on Spanish radio< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
theweightless Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 27 2002, 06:42

you have to remember that it was the remix version what most of us heard first and that's no good...i'm still wondering why they play the remix first...

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
Sephirot Offline

Posted: April 27 2002, 08:00

Every one tels it suck but after listening to it much more everyone like it!

EVERY MIKE SONG IS LIKE THIS!

you must hear it several times to like it... But then you love smile

--------------
Lost in Static 18...
Profile PM 
Tria Selene Offline

Posted: April 27 2002, 08:04

Hello!

We have posted links to external sites that host the radio broadcasts of the two versions of "To be free", both the Single Radio Edit and the Pumpin' Dolls remix. Webpage: http://www.tr3slunas.com/

That's all for now. Enjoy!

Tria Selene
Profile PM WEB 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: April 27 2002, 12:23

I don't really mind remix's,but they should not release them untill after the real version,and why could'nt he have got a quality remixer to do it,say Fatboy Slim or Chemical Brothers?.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: April 27 2002, 12:35

Had finally heard the remix...I didn´t like it,I was thinking about something more trancy...
Love the original version!!

Let´s see what it is going to happen...

Tati the Sentinel

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
christopher Offline

Posted: April 27 2002, 15:05

I can't stop listening to the remix version of "To Be Free!!!!!!" It is wonderful... very catchy and once hooked you can't let go!!!! smile

I am into trance and dance music and loved the remixes of "Let There Be Light" amongst other Oldfield remixes over time. This one is the most happy of all... and I can see the video for this already in my head... lots of fun!!!! smile

Mike PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE release this CD in the States!!!!!!! You will sell atleast 20 copies here in the States!!!!! smile

Anyhoo... Glad to see that everyone is being
positive about the new song... unlike the first page of reviews on the forum!!!!! wink

Take it easy everyone... Chill-Out and Listen wink

- Christopher
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: April 27 2002, 21:07

Hello everyone. You finally get to hear from me. Didn't check tubular.net for a couple of days.

So, I was downloading both "To Be Free" versions, and at the same time reading this forum topic. I was thinking: "oh man, reading all this makes me think Mike has dissapointed us". So, one version was downloaded (the ethnic version). I played it and it was like: "Why does everybody hate this? It is not bad, but it is not great either". After reading through the forum I realised everybody was listening to the remixed version. (Oke, we all know this by now, I'm just in the mood for a lot of typing wink )

My comments about the ethnic version: Sounds fun, I like the synth bass sound. (Lets not forget that Mike recorded the stuff in Germany because the studio there had a lot of cool synthesizers. Sounds moogy to me, the bass sound!) At first when I heard the vocals, it reminded me of some Enigma songs (but that's explainable, Michael Cretu is a friend of Mike, so copying is not difficult wink ). The voices don't really do much to me... and, as Vladimir said before, it sounds a bit like a Jean Michel Jarre song from "Metamorphosis". The funky drumbeat... well, yeah... hmmm, it's sounds fun at first, but it is not Mike.... and why is it still a drumcomputer????????????????? Where the f@#$*&ck is Simon Philips or Pierre Moerlen? Where are the real drums? The last real drum I heard was from TB3, I guess. Most of that didn't sound real either. I was a bit dissapointed that Earth Moving had no real drums (it is a great album, don't get me wrong), but I think EM would have sound much better with real drums. Drumcomputer is soooo cheap (don't get me wrong, I sometimes like drumcomputers, but they have to match the music, so, with Jarre like music). But I do like the african voices in the background of To Be Free....

The remixed version: ah well, just a remix by some jerk....... don't pay attention to it wink. (although I like the synth bits a bit, sounds a bit "popcorn" 'ish) Listening to this version makes the songs really sound like a britny s. (I have a difficult time just by saying those words) album.

My conclusion: the original version (the ethnic one) is not bad, but it doesn't really do much to me. Indeed it is just made for commercial succes. I will not be suprised if I will see it on MTV or TMF (Dutch MTV like channel with nothing but sh&*$&t) where I never have seen a single Mike O. videoclip before. But To be Free is certainly better that the song "The Millenium Bell"

I hate the Millenium Bell. I had good reactions about it first, some are good (track 1 and 2), but the rest.. yuck... that's why the album is just dusting away in my collection. So, I reeeeeeeeeally hoped Mike had improved himself by releasing a GOOD album. I didn't expect an Amarok II, but To be Free will do... I guess.... although I am still a bit dissapointed.

But let's not jump to any conclusions yet. Maybe the rest of the album sounds better. Only time will tell.

Oh yeah, by the way, I once commented about some realaudio samples that were put on the Music VR site. I liked the one that was on the right in the middle. It had a nice warm guitar sound, and if you put some vocals on it, it maybe sounded oke. Before I heard To be Free, I was thinking it would sound like this. Well, it proved out not to be... oh well....

Greetings everyone!

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Melomaniac Offline

Posted: April 28 2002, 05:49

I listened to the premiere of To Be Free in Cadena 100 ( the one which has supported Mike´s music the last ten years) and I liked it much more than the horrible remixed version ( first time Los 40 broadcasted this version they didn´t say it was a remix so I felt very dissapointed as my latest posts prove).Anyway, it is not a " Five Miles out" or a "Moonlight Shadow", in my oppinion has got a very similar sound to some parts of The Millennium Bell. By the way, The Dj said the name of the singer, I can´t remember it but it´s NOt Sally Oldfield.
Finally, I must insist on the idea I want a famous and international Mike as ever. It´s a pity to see people from abroad can´t listen to the song on radio at the moment. I hope a wider airplaying though I think surely It´s not going to be like in Spain in other countries. I wish it were not so.
Profile PM 
Sephirot Offline

Posted: April 28 2002, 08:25

I wonder if the other song will be vocals? Cause if they are ... then it is a new Earth Movig ? smile))

Well i sure wanted somehing like TB...
But if the other songs are half as good as To Be Free is then bring it on!!

--------------
Lost in Static 18...
Profile PM 
theweightless Offline

Posted: April 28 2002, 14:22

there will be a video...cool biggrin

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 

Unregistered

Posted: April 28 2002, 16:15

The other tracks are all instrumental, bar some samples from MVR, and a few vocal harmonies.

Lots of deep warm bass, very rhythmic, atmospheric and the unmistakable guitar... quite a lot of it in fact. Whats it like... you'll have to wait but the closest comparison for me is TSODE. Its not TSODE part2, but conjures up a similar atmosphere...

Paul
DavidB Offline

Posted: April 28 2002, 17:20

"To bee free" better that "the millenium bell"?????????

Oh, mamma!!!!

"To be free" is worst MO song yet!
Profile PM 

Unregistered

Posted: April 29 2002, 04:13

Thanks Paul !

I enjoy your clear comments. Thanks to you I
am starting to really look forward to the album. tsode-like with more of mikes unique guitarplaying. Sounds really promising to me.

Vladimir Offline

Posted: April 29 2002, 04:30

The Millennium Bell is too eclectic...
Profile PM WEB 
gargar Offline

Posted: April 29 2002, 12:59

nice song...
Profile PM 

Unregistered

Posted: April 29 2002, 16:33

I like the single and hope it will be a commercial success. If the complete album would be in this style it would be a bit disappointing, but as a single it`s great and I`m very positive surprised about this first vocal song after so many years. Thanks to tr3slunas.com and thanks to Paul from Dark Star for his comments in this forum. I hope, Tres Lunas would be a bit heavier than TSODE and not just chill out- but when "Thou Art In Heaven" is inspired by the powerful track from the Berlin performance, it would not be a true chill out track?!?
Excuse my english.
christopher Offline

Posted: April 30 2002, 04:33

Hey Paul... thanks for the info on the new CD! smile Looking forward to it!!

The big question on every Americans mind... WILL MIKE RELEASE THIS ALBUM IN THE STATES???????????

Someone mentioned they had hoped for something more like TB... good god if we could only tare ourselves away from that album and let Mike get on with something original instead of him copying and plagerizing himself again and again!! I feel that we (who are still stuck in the 70's with TB) are trying to hold Mike back and are comparing his newer songs to that of the DISTANT past. Let's put "2 B Free" in prospective here... it is new... it is catchy... and it is commercial... something every artist needs to keep a good career going!

Sure it is a simple song... but aren't most catchy tunes (now-a-days) simple!? They usually consist of nothing more than about three or four chords, if that.

And need I remind (SOME OF YOU OUT THERE) that you have knocked other albums unjustly only to rave about them years later... and you know who you are! So to say that "2 B Free" is the worst Oldfield song... is not likely what you will say a few months or even a few years from now. I think you just have to have something to bitch about really!!

If anything will be the death of Mike Oldfield's career... it won't be "2 B Free"... it'll be another Tubular Bells album!!!!! and you can quote me on that!!!

Take it easy everyone (and for those of you still knocking the new song... a little advice... CHILL-OUT wink)

- Christopher
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 30 2002, 06:38

I wasn't a huge fan of the song when I first heard it, then I listened it a few more times and it became bearable. Later on I found myself singing it on my way home.

I can safely say that it's grown on me.

There are guitars - a huge power chord in the choruses.

The vocals remind me a little of Sunlight Shining Through Cloud from TMB.

I want to hear the rest of the album (and more importantly, play Tr3s Lunas) to put the song in some kind of context.

With the right remixes it could be a big summer hit, and if it goes down well in Spain and gets heard by tourists then it may even be a hit in the UK.

Mike badly needs to look good before he re-records TB, because although I understand why he'd want to do this I'm not sure that it is a good commercial idea.
Profile PM 
Merlin Offline

Posted: April 30 2002, 19:32

Christopher, I must say that this eternal optimism is digusting. OK, the song is really not so bad, but it is definietly the simplies Oldfield music ever written. I totally agree that the best melodies are simple, but there is difference between simpleness and simpleness. Moonlight Shadow or Flying Start are also very simple melodies, but there have a special movement, some kind of unmistakable oldfieldiean flow from one sound to another, from one layer to another, from one second to another and it is totally abscent from the To be free.

You really behave like a mother who loves here children so much that she is not willing to see his faults!

I dont want Mike to repeat his songs always and always, it is great thing if an artist can change with the time but he must take care not lose himself at the end.

There are sometimes anti-artistic tendences and when they overhelm the artistic ones, a real artist must keep his way even if it seem to be odd or anachronistic. The real art always need to have some eternal value! Mike want to catch the attention of a newer generation? But commercial taste of the newer generation is more superficial than ever: the thing to write them is to get down to their taste, but to lift them up!

I am also waiting very much the new album, and I am great fun of computer games as well, but if TRSLunas will not be at least 3O times better than that terrible Millenium Bell, well, I think than it is really the end of everything.

Profile PM 

Unregistered

Posted: April 30 2002, 23:12

If Mike still is not free(And I hope he is of course) after writing such awesome music and performing it around our planet to great effect.Not to mention the privelidges that go with fame and fortune . what chance is there for us lot.LOL.
127 replies since April 24 2002, 14:26 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (7) < 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net