drewdale Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 28 2016, 15:01

Througham Slad, now a holiday let
Profile PM 
Sweep Offline

Posted: July 30 2016, 10:19

On the downside - £1250 per night, and you have to stay at least two nights. No pets, so you can't take the dog - much less a lion.

On the upside - at least it's possible to stay there if you have money to burn. I suppose Mike could afford it. I wonder how much it resembles the place as he remembers it?

In an ideal world this, and The Beacon, would be Mike Oldfield museums, where you could visit and see how they would have been at the time. On the other hand Mike might feel a bit funny about his life becoming the stuff of museums. Still, I'd love to own The Beacon, and informally let people in for a coffee and the opportunity to hear Hergest Ridge while looking out at the view, or Ommadawn in the room in which it was recorded. Maybe one day one of us might fulfill that dream. I used to know someone who considered buying The Beacon, so maybe that's possible. Througham Slad might be a trickier proposition, though.

How about pony-trecking with a hangover on Hergest Ridge? A must for all Mike Oldfield fans, far cheaper than buying properties, and the opportunity to support the local economy a pint at a time.

--------------
Website@: http://www.musicbysweep.com
Twitter: sweep1

Bradnor Hill (in memory of David Bedford): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKeATjaMCgA
Profile PM WEB 
drewdale Offline

Posted: July 30 2016, 16:50

If I was lucky enough to have that kind of money, all I would want to do is occupy the barn and play the tracks recorded there at very loud volume and perhaps bring with me some morris dancers for when I blast out Portsmouth.

Looking at the pictures on the website, shows a different interior from when it was up for sale a few years back. A snip back then at 7.5 million UK Quids.
Profile PM 
Justine Fly Offline

Posted: July 31 2016, 04:48

Hi !
Yes , it's truely a bad ending :/
Just read something about ponies , well , we could organise a tubular trip with other members , to go to hergest ridge , rent a small house in the countryside for a few days and do a horse trek , like you said !

--------------
- All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy -
Profile PM 
Priabonia Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2016, 09:57

Ah the ignominy! It simply wouldn't be the same, staying there now the barn and control room has gone. I might quite like to sit in one of those windows though, and play my mandolin!

That said, it's not *that* expensive - £1,250 between 16 is "only" around £80, which isn't out of line with what you'd pay in a similar luxury self-catering...any takers?!

--------------
https://www.youtube.com/user/PriaboniaMusic

www.soundcloud.com/just-before-dawn
Profile PM 
4 replies since July 28 2016, 15:01 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net