Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: This would be a great album for fans of his older 70s stuff< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Jammer Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 28 2000, 19:13

I recently got this album (at the time of writing)

I think some of the more peaceful tracks like Muse and Enigmatism are remeniscent of his older instrumentals like HR and Ommadawn. If Muse was used as a beginning theme for a Hergest Ridge II or totally original instrumental about the countryside it would finish me off
Profile PM 
Orbit Dream Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2001, 00:59

I agree about 'Muse'.That's one of those typically MO tunes that gets lodged in your brain and stays there,regardless of what other music you listen to in the meantime.
I also love 'Four Winds',in concept and production.It's warmly reminiscent of his early work.
Profile PM 
Dervish_D Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2001, 04:36

Yes, I think you are right. Muse is one prove that Mike has not lost his talent for writing good music, as it is often stated.

The problem I had with this album was, that I had expected too much from it. Since I wanted a whole classical-guitar-sounding album and not such a semi-instrumental work.
The songs try to capture different styles, like B. Blues or Enigmatism: This is in one way positive, but at the same time they appear superficial. Because copying a certain style is not enough to achieve the same "images" as in traditional. That means, Mike could have tried to combine these styles with certain experiences he wanted to express. The songs do have a style but not the personal influence of Mike.
My favourite song on this album is "Summit Day". I don't know if it's because of the nice melody and the build-up or if it's because it contains these "images" I talk about: Optimism, the celebration of a successful day... I think the song conveys that feeling quite convincingly.
On the other hand I'm not satisfied with most of the "quieter" songs. They are too repetitive, not meditative, as they are supposed to be, but regrettably quite boring.

That is why I would eventually not say, that this album is now in it's form similar to one of his 70s works. It could have been perhaps, but actually I think, that this holds true of any other "newer" Oldfield-album too.
BTW... Why "Hergest Ridge 2"? I think it is more fascinating to play with new and fresh ideas like the VR-project than to reflect on the past.
Today I'm quite optimistic, if Mike keeps on trying new things he eventually will find some things inducing him to make great efforts for good music.
Profile PM 
Baggiesfaninessex Offline

Posted: Mar. 18 2002, 15:45

Dervish_D - I must say that I agree with your assessment of guitars fully. It saved me some typing smile
BTW - What's your favourite Vangelis track?

2 distorted guitars - As for Hergest Ridge 2, no thanks. What I do yearn for are the 25 minute instrumentals that Mike is capable of - but not a recycling of ideas, as the Bells series is turning into...only originals ideas please.

Cheers,

T4

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Mar. 23 2002, 22:33

If given the brief of making an album like Guitars, I doubt I'd have approached it in quite the same way that Mike did. I'm all for electronic sound processing and things, in the right context, but I'd really have wanted to explore the sound textures that guitars are capable of making on their own - I feel that using MIDI guitars is going a bit too far in the wrong direction (because, lets face it, a MIDI synthesiser sounds pretty much the same whether played from a keyboard, guitar, mallet instrument or whatever...). Obviously Mike felt that he didn't want to tread that path (or perhaps had spent enough time exploring the sound textures of 'real' instruments while recording Amarok). Turning on a synthesiser and dialing up a sound is quite easy, whereas creating similar textures using guitars alone would have demanded a lot more time - which is probably why Mike didn't go that way.

I like Muse. It has a very understated beauty to it, in a similar way to some of the simpler pieces for classical guitar by composers like Tárrega (I'm sure I've said that before somewhere...and now I say it again)...I suppose it could be interesting to take it on from there and develop the idea further, though it may lose something in being drawn out from its compact form into something longer.
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: April 19 2002, 06:04

Yes, muse is so beautiful. Simple, but very good, and a nice choice for the start of the album. Out of Mind is my other favourite track. It has a cool acoustic guitar at the beginning, than a rocky bit. It rocks.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
5 replies since Aug. 28 2000, 19:13 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net