:) who thinks the same?
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: Feb. 25 2020, 17:31

~ Message deleted at the request of the author ~
nightspore Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 25 2020, 17:45

Are you saying Amarok quotes folk tunes, or just draws on the genre?
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: Feb. 25 2020, 18:03

nightspore Offline

Posted: Feb. 25 2020, 20:15

Quote (Ommagest @ Feb. 25 2020, 18:03)
A bit of both. There's the influence of Bert Jansch on the guitars and also the folk rock thumping bass of Steeleye Span and Lindisfarne. Oldfield also arranges tunes in a style akin  to Vaughan Williams  and Delius. They both took folk tunes and arranged them for orchestras, using all the instruments to full effect with artful arrangements. There is also a section of Amorak that quotes Delius, not that I can remember which bit off the top of my head. I'll have to go and investigate.

Can you provide a name of a few of the folk songs? Someone on this forum once told me that Mike's "Sunset" and also the final music from Maestro are based on a melody from Sibelius's 2nd symphony, but I can't really see any resemblance. To me it's a bit like saying chalk is like cheese, because they're both made out of atoms.

As for Delius, if Mike can turn that dull as ditchwater composer's output into something good my respect for Mike goes even higher! About the only thing I like about Delius is the title of some of his pieces, eg, "A Song of the High Hills", "Sea Drift", "Songs of Sunset", "The Stagger to the Paradise Garden", etc.

I don't think much of Vaughan Williams' songs either, although it was funny that he was forced into setting Blake's awful poem "Little Lamb", which he correctly labelled as that "beastly little lamb"  :laugh:

I like some of Schubert's songs, also Beethoven's "Mailied" and a few others. And his setting of Burns' "Once More I Hail Thee" is little known but great. In the unlikely event you don't know it, (or "Mailied"), here are links to them (I own the particular LP that this version of Mailied is from). Enjoy the slooshy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v....14&t=0s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHu7-tGz3WQ :D
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Feb. 26 2020, 02:05

I think for me Amarok is the summit of Mike's musical career, he poured so much of his talent into it, I have never heard anything quiet like it, the playing and production is amazing too. It is such a shame that it is barely known outside Mike's fans and Prog fans, although I understand not everyone will want to to sit and listen to 1 track for an hour!!! and that is even more less likely in the streaming age we are now in.
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: Feb. 28 2020, 13:52

nightspore Offline

Posted: Feb. 28 2020, 18:03

Yes, but what folk songs - if any - did Mike Oldfield arrange in Amarok?

I'm not surprised Vaughan Williams and Delius had to turn to folk songs - they were certainly bereft of original inspiration.
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: Feb. 29 2020, 10:34

nightspore Offline

Posted: Feb. 29 2020, 20:33

Ah, message received A OK.  :cool:
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2020, 17:36

Quote (nightspore @ Feb. 28 2020, 18:03)

I'm not surprised Vaughan Williams and Delius had to turn to folk songs - they were certainly bereft of original inspiration.

Vaughn Williams wrote some of the most moving, inspired and majestic music I have ever heard. I don't care what he got his inspiration from.
I love Mike's music, but he's not a very original composer. After he shed the youthful idiosyncriasies of his 70s work, his compositions are beyond generic (just listen to Music of the Spheres).
If Mike would have concentrated on refining his compositions (instead of trying to write and record with as little effort as possible), perhaps he would have been a composer of Vaughn Williams magnitude. But Mike obviously gave up trying in 1978.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2020, 18:52

Quote (larstangmark @ Mar. 07 2020, 17:36)
Quote (nightspore @ Feb. 28 2020, 18:03)

Vaughn Williams wrote some of the most moving, inspired and majestic music I have ever heard. I don't care what he got his inspiration from.
I love Mike's music, but he's not a very original composer. After he shed the youthful idiosyncriasies of his 70s work, his compositions are beyond generic (just listen to Music of the Spheres).
If Mike would have concentrated on refining his compositions (instead of trying to write and record with as little effort as possible), perhaps he would have been a composer of Vaughn Williams magnitude. But Mike obviously gave up trying in 1978.

Ha ha your name isn't Russell Mitchell, is it?  :laugh:
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: Mar. 08 2020, 11:48

nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 08 2020, 22:29

Vaughan Williams, Holst, Delius... very different composers of course. There are moments of Vaughan Williams I like: the opening of his 8th symphony, for example. His first symphony makes all the moves that one would expect of a piece titled "A Sea Symphony" and I suppose it's fairly listenable. I like the Jupiter movement of Holst's "The Planets", but for me the rest of the suite falls flat. To me Mike has more melodic inspiration in his little finger than all these composer put together, and he wisely avoids the silliness of "sonata form" as well. Enough said.
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: Mar. 09 2020, 07:17

omgmo Offline

Posted: Mar. 09 2020, 11:12

Quote (qjamesfloyd @ Feb. 26 2020, 02:05)
I think for me Amarok is the summit of Mike's musical career

For me, it is very hard to say that Amarok is the summit of Mike's career, since there has been Hergest Ridge, for example.

It was a very nice surprise, though. Don't get me wrong, I also like it.
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: Mar. 09 2020, 11:26

nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 09 2020, 19:03

Quote (Ommagest @ Mar. 09 2020, 07:17)
Quote (nightspore @ Mar. 09 2020, 03:29)
To me Mike ...... avoids the silliness of "sonata form" as well.

Incantations

Ah yes... cough cough... well well... Incantations... ewww and doh and eat my shorts etc. Mike is entitled to one mistake! I remember discussing this with Pete Renolds at Uni and he confirmed that it is not a good album. :laugh:
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: Mar. 10 2020, 11:24

nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2020, 19:09

I'm pretty sure I know some of these. The point is that it's a pleasant challenge to write in fixed forms - I sometimes write sonnets. But there's a difference between writing in a fixed format for fun and feeling that such a way is "right" or "in accordance with correct musical theory", which is how many composers (with the exception of rebels like Liszt and Wagner) proceed. Poor old Tchaikovsky was berated for not getting formal considerations right - he should have abandoned them altogether. Similarly Dvorak's 4th symphony is criticised for being "repetitive" and "trying the listener's patience" - but as Mr Oldfield points out, if something is worth repeating, why not repeat it? And when I listen to Beethoven's 7th I think what a twit he was for adhering to sonata form and letting us hear that wonderful first movement melody exactly once before he starts fidgeting with it and spoiling it.
Profile PM 
32 replies since Feb. 25 2020, 15:34 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net