Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: This Is London interview on Changeling< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: May 15 2007, 12:53

This is London has interviewed Mike Oldfield on his autobiography, Changeling.
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 15 2007, 13:32

I don't want to undermine Mike's idea of an album title but Ian Brown has a well known album entitled Music of the Spheres. Maybe Mike should think of something different.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: May 15 2007, 15:34

A very interesting interview. It dates Mike's mother's death to early 1976. I've read elsewhere that she died when Mike was making Hergest Ridge.
Can't belive that Mike did Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn while on valium and alcohol.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Marky Offline

Posted: May 15 2007, 16:27

Its an excellent piece, well spotted. I agree about the title: bloody awful even if it has been done before. I think (I think) I helped to rename his last album (Light and Shade) so I hope he'll consider some suggestions for this one!
Profile PM 
Airborne Offline

Posted: May 15 2007, 16:28

"It dates Mike's mother's death to early 1976"

No, it was January 1975, which is why Ommadawn was so emotionally charged.

Great interview though, puts everything into perspective.
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: May 15 2007, 16:44

Isn't the new album supposed to be based around Halloween?  'Music of the Sphere's' as a title doesn't really conjure up anything Halloweenish to my mind. Still this is Mike we're talking about here so the albums direction has probably long since gone off at a tangent.
Profile PM 
ian Offline

Posted: May 15 2007, 17:23

You know what Mikes like for swapping and changing. Houses, women, hobbies, musical styles, philosophies etc. Remember sonic reality changed to music VR? He doesn't seem to know what he wants and even now he sounds like he can be a bit of a git to people. Keeping him out in the rain for 30 mins is one example. I don't know anybody who would do that to anyone, stranger or friend. He hasn't got any social skills really and seems to blame a lot of his ways on his childhood. Well so could I as I had a rough deal but we all have a choice dont we?
Profile PM WEB 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: May 15 2007, 17:44

Quote (TOBY @ May 15 2007, 15:32)
I don't want to undermine Mike's idea of an album title but Ian Brown has a well known album entitled Music of the Spheres. Maybe Mike should think of something different.

I don't feel why this working title,since I can't see any relation to Hallowe'en stuff he said before.

BTW,I enjoyed a lot this interview !

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: May 15 2007, 18:00

Well, as far as I remember, Mike talked about the fact that the music was to be based on the astral significance of the Hallowe'en festival (not on the festival itself); I seem to recall that he however implied an astrologic element being present in the music. And "Music of the Spheres" fits perfectly with astrology. ;)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Marky Offline

Posted: May 15 2007, 18:22

Its all interesting stuff isn't it...have to say, cant give a stuff about the resonance with the subject, tenuous or otherwise, the title stinks. Music of the sodding spheres indeed! Calls out for the bargain basement bin that one. C'mon Mike. Hebrew, Amamaic, Latin or Urdo will be an improvement. Gibberish even....
Profile PM 
tubtattoo Offline

Posted: May 15 2007, 18:41

Quote (ian @ May 15 2007, 17:23)
He hasn't got any social skills really and seems to blame a lot of his ways on his childhood. Well so could I as I had a rough deal but we all have a choice dont we?

I haven't read the book but I'm sure I will read a lot in it that I find to be very close to my own experiences.

I will not condemn or attack anyone for their opinion but such a sweeping comment is not helpful nor insightful. My two mental breakdowns hit me 20 years after the events of my childhood. I had NO choice- with the great help of my therapist, of a loving wife and my dearest friends (who like Mike number but a special few) I can now look back upon what happened and make some sense of it all. But my journey to that point was not of my own making... what choice does an 8 year old child have when being mentally and physically abused by a parent?

I talk openly about things now but 'lost' a great many years without knowing it and that is never a good thing.

Please, remember that to each person their problems are the most important thing in their lives and they cope as best they can. No two people can compare and point-score for it is personal emotion and experience that drives it.

Just be happy that your control of your life is such to make things easier but to judge another is to not necessarily understand them.

Peace.
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: May 15 2007, 18:48

Quote (ian @ May 15 2007, 17:23)
You know what Mikes like for swapping and changing. Houses, women, hobbies, musical styles, philosophies etc. Remember sonic reality changed to music VR? He doesn't seem to know what he wants and even now he sounds like he can be a bit of a git to people. Keeping him out in the rain for 30 mins is one example. I don't know anybody who would do that to anyone, stranger or friend. He hasn't got any social skills really and seems to blame a lot of his ways on his childhood. Well so could I as I had a rough deal but we all have a choice dont we?

Sure, we all have a choice. We can choose not to be influenced by our childhood. We can also choose how to behave in social situations. We can choose to let strangers into our homes without being careful, it's very wise especially if you're a famous person. Choosing a companion is always easy. Choosing what to compose is easy too, just choose and play, that's what all the greats have always done.
Sorry for being a bit sarcastic, I just had no choice.
Profile PM 
James Offline

Posted: May 15 2007, 19:20

A plea to Mike fans through out Europe particularly Spain and Portugal

Madeleine McCann a 4 year old little girl was taken from the safety of her holiday home in Southern Portugal.If you spot her or a new child in your community that fits her description please report this to your authorities and the police.Her hair may be shorter or coloured.Thankyou for your time and assistance.

http://www.bringmadeleinehome.com/
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6649951.stm
http://www.crimestoppers-uk.org/

If you have any information please call Portuguese Police direct on 00351 282 405 400 or call Crimestoppers uk on 0800 555 111.

Por favor ajudem-nos a encontrar esta menina.

Se têm informações por favor contactem
00 351 282 405 400

Nos ayuden a encontrar a esta niña. Se tienen informaciones, contacten el
00 351 282 405 400
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: May 15 2007, 19:35

I've also read on several sources that Mike's mother passed away around the end of 1974. Sean's book "A man and his music" as well as Peter Evan's book both mention this... but it doesn't matter, it makes me sad everytime I read about it. Why do things like this happen?

Something different: I really was excited about the first photo in the article. I've never seen it before! It's probably made before or after Mike's Exegesis est. You can see he already cut his long hair, but still hadn't shaven his beard. He's standing in his Througham studio, probably making or finishing of Incantations?

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: May 15 2007, 19:40

Music of the Spheres is still just a name of the project..
Just like what he though about Light & shade; he had Quicksilver in his thoughts.
Ok, he seem to be a person that cant make 100% choices, but situations and experinces can change your plan or ideas very fast.
It would not suprise me that the "halloween" turns to be something differnt.. (anyway)
Hergest Ridge is not music about a place for me, it is about winter..

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
ian Offline

Posted: May 16 2007, 01:59

I just think he sounds like a stuck needle sometimes and needs to count his blessings.
Profile PM WEB 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: May 16 2007, 08:26

Slightly worried that "Music of the Spheres" may be a gift to music journalists who want to say something about balls.

Still, albums sometimes change name as you go along. I suppose it might be that they start off trying to do one thing and it ends up being something else, so it feels appropriate to change the title.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: May 16 2007, 14:32

Quote (Airborne @ May 15 2007, 16:28)
"It dates Mike's mother's death to early 1976"

No, it was January 1975, which is why Ommadawn was so emotionally charged.

Great interview though, puts everything into perspective.

I didn't say she died in 1976, but the interview says this:

"In 1975 his mother came to stay with him for Christmas, took one look at him and said: "You know what it's like, don't you, Mike?" The next month she died. "

--------------
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Airborne Offline

Posted: May 17 2007, 05:22

larstangmark,

Apologies, I see now where you got the idea from.

"In 1975 his mother came to stay with him for Christmas, took one look at him and said: "You know what it's like, don't you, Mike?" The next month she died. "

Mike is sometimes rather vague with dates of specific events, this is why the other books still haven't pinned down the exact time of his mother's death. But, his mother stayed with him in 1974 and witnessed the recording of In Dulci Jubilo, which is why the first release of the tune was dedicate to her.
She died on the day the orchestral concert of his works at the Royal Albert Hall was broadcast in January 1975. I'm sure this event is one of the main reasons that Ommadawn is so powerful. It is such a major part of his life story that I hope I can be excused being pedantic for pointing this out.

I have yet to read his autobiography so I don't yet know how he describes this period. I'll be checking it out soon.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: May 17 2007, 05:37

So most likely either Mike or the interviewer got it wrong and it should have been christmas 1974?
The worst thing is that you get the impression that Mike was very close to his mum. Alcoholic parents often chose a "favorite" among their children who is the one who "understands" them. It's a terrible thing to be subjected to, and it's almost guaranteed to give the child problems for life; "You're exactly like me, aren't you?".

--------------
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
37 replies since May 15 2007, 12:53 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net