Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: There must be other musos likeminded musicians.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
The Caveman Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 25 2010, 11:44

Yeah i've been there as well.What i like about this band is that the scene in my home town is very small but,with the exception of the percussionist,i've never worked with these guys other than jamming.Plus the fact that we're all striving to do something very different so we're all trying stuff outside our comfort zone.New people+new ideas=new inspiration.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: Mar. 25 2010, 16:06

Congrats on the band, Caveman, I'm looking forward to hearing what you're doing! I wish I could form or join a prog/experimental band, but there just isn't anybody around here that into my kind of music. Good news though, it's looking like I might be able to move out of my present location by the end of the year... until then I'm contenting myself with beginning work on a multiple (probably five) part piano composition.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Mar. 26 2010, 05:42

Cool.It's so good to know that musicians are pushing the boundaries and sticking up 2 fingers to the image led music industry and doing their own thing!
 I've come to the conclusion that i was simply born 20 years too late!1975 was a hell of a good year for music (Ommadawn,Wish You Were Here,Gong's You,Steve Hilage's L and a load of others that are all on my list of all time favourite LPs)but by the time i grew up and was playing it was the late 80's and on into the 90's.With some exceptions (mainly by the 'old gaurd' of musicians)these were crap years in terms of really good interesting music.Not sure what Sweden was like then but they were lousy here.So i should have been born between 1950 and 1955! :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
^NabLa^ Offline

Posted: Mar. 26 2010, 06:31

There's loads of stuff going on in music at the moment in the electronica side of things. People can now create high quality music (not just on the production side of things) from their home studios with little investment, all you need is a computer built in the last 10 years, patience to learn, and drive to create. No need for recording studios if you do this type of thing. I'd say indie (as in independent) music is now more alive than it ever was.

I do miss performing live with my bass guitar, but I find I can be just as expressive on stage with a MIDI controller :)

Very curious about what you guys are doing, some recordings of your new band wouldn't go amiss Caveman :)

--------------
^NabLa^
Profile PM WEB 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Mar. 26 2010, 10:50

As soon as i have something that i'd consider presentable (I am very self critical)i'll get it on here.
 I agree that you really don't need a full on studio anymore which is a very good thing,but to me it's all about playing live.I live for it.That's just me but there's nothing at all that i love more than playing live with a good band and a good audience.The most fun you can have with clothes on! :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
^NabLa^ Offline

Posted: Mar. 31 2010, 06:03

Word!!! I'm just starting to get my first proper gigs, a big trance party in London and a small festie in Belgium, and every time I think about it a bit of wee comes out.

--------------
^NabLa^
Profile PM WEB 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: Mar. 31 2010, 15:02

Congrats NabLa! Playing live is one of the best things to do as a musician, I think.
Profile PM 
^NabLa^ Offline

Posted: April 01 2010, 07:50

It is, is it not? Haven't played properly in front of an audience for about 14 years, but I do remember the rush. Priceless :)

--------------
^NabLa^
Profile PM WEB 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: April 06 2010, 04:12

Yep.Good luck mate.Hope it goes well and re-ignite a passion for playing live.

--------------
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: April 06 2010, 08:34

~ Message deleted at the request of the author ~
The Caveman Offline

Posted: April 09 2010, 09:11

Did a little gig as an acoustic trio on wednesday night with a couple of friends.Only a little 20 minute spot doing acoustic covers (a couple of Cat Stevens songs,a Beatles song,a Ben Harper song and,for good measure, a blues tune)at a local open mic night for a bit fun.Went down well and got offered a charity gig on St Georges day straight after we finished.I love doing stuff like this as a sideline as they're nice songs to play and go down well.Besides which i love the pub we were doing it in cos they sell some really good real ale!
 The point is if you enjoy playing live do it as often as possible.
And if you piss yourself before hand (Nabla)so what?Just change your underwear!  :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
^NabLa^ Offline

Posted: April 09 2010, 11:33

lol I'll make sure I wear trousers that won't change colour if I do :P

Glad it went well buddy, I'm well jealous (but "good jealous" if that makes sense), any pics or vids to show? :)

If not make sure you get a friendly to capture it at st george's day!

--------------
^NabLa^
Profile PM WEB 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: April 09 2010, 11:51

It was just a little thing at a little local pub.Not really a show as such.Do they have similar things were you are?You just put your name down a week or so before,turn up,plug into the PA and go.Easy and really enjoyable.

--------------
Profile PM 
^NabLa^ Offline

Posted: April 09 2010, 11:57

Don't lessen it man, a gig is a gig and you guys did so well that came out of it booked for a proper full blown show.

Thought of it, be good to showcase my live set before I debut at the festival; there're a couple of places in Oxford that do open mike nights but not sure if the stuff I make is what they expect to hear however, judging by all the times I've attended as a punter:

http://www.myspace.com/blackstarrfinale

Probably give half the people there a migraine and drive the rest to snorting crushed pills up their eye sockets.

--------------
^NabLa^
Profile PM WEB 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: April 09 2010, 12:01

Oxford?Where are you based?I'm in Banbury.BTW the charity gig's another little low key thing in a pub in the middle of nowhere.

--------------
Profile PM 
^NabLa^ Offline

Posted: April 12 2010, 09:13

I'm based in Wallingford, spot on in the middle between Ox and Reading. I actually went past Banbury yesterday driving back from Manchester :)

Well little pub or not, still a gig, you never know where it's going to lead.

--------------
^NabLa^
Profile PM WEB 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: April 12 2010, 09:18

Quote (^NabLa^ @ April 12 2010, 09:13)
I'm based in Wallingford, spot on in the middle between Ox and Reading. I actually went past Banbury yesterday driving back from Manchester :)

Well little pub or not, still a gig, you never know where it's going to lead.

Yeah if you blink you miss Banbury.I guess you were on the M40.Not much here although it's folk central as so much of the Civil War ( a staple subject matter in English Folk)was fought around here.I love Oxford though.Some really good pubs and people seem much more switched on to everything.Probably cos it's a University city.The universities still own most of the place.

--------------
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: April 12 2010, 09:20

BTW if you come by road on the Banbury to Oxford road you go right past Shipton On Cherwell where the Manor is!

--------------
Profile PM 
^NabLa^ Offline

Posted: July 15 2010, 10:23

Didn't know that! Actually I have little idea of where The Manor is other than a vague "north of oxford"

How're gigs coming along?

--------------
^NabLa^
Profile PM WEB 
Incantations Offline

Posted: Aug. 19 2010, 04:15

If I weren't living on the other side of the earth I would most certainly join your band Caveman :/  :p  :zzz:  :/

I have been a pianist of 8 years and focus mostly on Improvisation and melody. Unfortunately I have no experience with keyboards or intonations of other sounds. But from what I understand its a small step from piano to keyboard.

--------------
Hmm...
Profile PM 
39 replies since Feb. 15 2010, 12:20 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net