Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: There must be other musos likeminded musicians.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
The Caveman Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 15 2010, 12:20

Do any other UK based musicians find it almost imposible to find musicians who want to play music that cannot be classified as jazz/blues/folk or metal?
I'm trying to start a band that's kind of prog (in a more Gong sort of way rather than ELP-more whimsical than neo-Classical)but with elements of everything and anything.Sick to bloody death of genres.A lot of it will be improvised and jamming.Had a guy answer an ad but he's learning drums ("and i've started to learn to use the cymbals"!?)and plays bass.Clearly states on the ad it will be a lot of jamming but he said,after refusing to play at a jam last night that he wanted something more structured.So why waste both our time then?!I emailed him today to say thanks but no thanks.
 Sorry to rant but it's getting really frustrating trying to do something different!
 Someone suggested starting as a duo with me and the percussionist who's starting it with me.Er that won't as it's not going to be song based and melodically i can't jam with myself and it would be very boring indeed.
 Grrrrrr.There must be someone out there who plays keyboards/synth, bass or drums that doesn't want to play in an indie bland.And that's not a typo.
 Anyone know anyone in the North Oxfordshire area that isn't afraid to do something that can't be pidgeon holed.As Mike said in one interview "lets just call it music".help me out Tubes! :/

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Ginger Daddy Offline

Posted: Feb. 15 2010, 15:51

I can understand your frustration. I haven't been in a band for years and years but being able to jam is actually a skill - don't know if I still have it and I live 'up north' near Manchester so can't help out.

Sorry, this isn't exactly a helpful post but just felt I had to say something in response to your frustration.

Hope you find someone to help out.

Cheers,
Terry.

--------------
http://purplerhapsody.co.uk - no words, just emotions
Profile PM WEB 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Feb. 15 2010, 18:13

Hi Caveman, you are in the same predicament Mike found himself in. He wanted to see someone not using the blues scale or jazz or a set genre to come up with an original, musical style not seen before. You are trying to do it Caveman. It is worth pursuing it, there must be musos out there that want to break out of their comfort zone and do something new. Jamming is the only way to find out if new rhythms and melodies will work. Lots of jamming. Ask all the successful bands how they made the music they did. Lots of jamming. Deb
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Feb. 16 2010, 03:48

I tell you what if I lived down your way Caveman,I`d definetly be up for it.I hav`nt played the drums in a good few years now but when I did I could use the cymbals and everything mate, heh heh.I don`t know it`s difficult to remember that far back now,but I`m pretty sure I was hitting the cymbals right from day one.Maybe I did it all back to front?

Yeah it`s got to be frustrating I can well understand it.Hopefully somebody will turn up sooner rather than later to get you up and running at least.What happened with your mate who played keyboards in your previous band,I thought you said he was gonna` be in your new band as well?Personaly I used to love to just jam.We had about 4/5 songs in our set that went close to and beyond the ten minute mark.They just kind of evolved really through jamming together no doubt about it.Thinking about it now it was probably those songs that set us apart,and made us what we were I guess.You`d play em` live and there`d be a bunch of girls grooving around to them,and some fella`s holding pints kind of nodding their heads approvingly you know.You can`t really ask for anything more than that,it`s a special feeling when it all comes together.I hope your luck changes soon.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Feb. 16 2010, 04:27

I've calmed down a bit now.As for my old keyboard player,we've had a bit of a falling out over his wanting to rework some of the stuff we recorded for his own solo stuff.He asked of he could use the rhythm and solo tracks i laid down for that band and i said in no uncertain terms that he couldn't with rather specific reasons why i thought it was wrong! :laugh:

Thanks guys.Something will happen eventually.This is the band i've wanted for years and i'm not going to give up on it before it's stared.

--------------
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Feb. 16 2010, 04:43

I have real trouble finding musicians who are interested in anything other than genre pastiche. Musical adventures don't generate instant applause and already there you lose most players.
It's funny that you mention jamming and co-musicians who like more "structure". In my generation (born early 70s) there are very few people interested in improvisation. Most of them are actually alien to the concept and don't even understand what it means. I've even had trouble convincing collaborators that "happy accidents" musically speaking become keepers.
It's like different worlds philosophically. I see myself as a receiver channeling sounds and impressions while most of the people I have collaborated with have seen themselves simply  as sonic construction workers/engineers. They are concerned with getting from point A to point B but I'm just as interested in what happens on the way.

Anyway, good luck finding musicians. Living in Sweden, frequent rehearsing could be a problem!    :cool:

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Feb. 16 2010, 05:14

As i read your post i thought "ah someone DOES know what i'm chasing here".And then i remebered you're in Sweden.Yeah rehearsals may be a problem!
 Regarding your comments about improv i find it strange that a lot of musicians can't do it.Not that's it's in anyway wrong but it's alien to me to sit and work out solos.
Don't suppose you'd consider relocating to the UK?! :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Feb. 16 2010, 06:38

Quote (larstangmark @ Feb. 16 2010, 04:43)
I've even had trouble convincing collaborators that "happy accidents" musically speaking become keepers.
It's like different worlds philosophically. I see myself as a receiver channeling sounds and impressions while most of the people I have collaborated with have seen themselves simply  as sonic construction workers/engineers. They are concerned with getting from point A to point B but I'm just as interested in what happens on the way.

Exactly my point.We're of the same generation as i was born in 1975.When i was growing up and learning to play all guitarists seemed to be intent on playing as if it were an Olympic event were as i was more intersted in taking my time and getting more feeling out of the music.It seems that these same players now can't just go with it and look really uncomfortable when in a jam situation which is were i'm happiest.The good stuff often comes from the middle of a good jam.It's sometimes like gold mining.You go through loads of ideas before the little shining bits come up!Obviously you can't do a whole set hoping for those bits as it might not happen but as basis for ideas that's the best way for me anyway.
 And the journey is very often better than arrving!

--------------
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Mar. 09 2010, 09:47

There are other musos like me!Got the core of the band now.A young guitar player called Nick who wants to play something other than rock,a brilliant bassist (Canadian-Polish,now there's a mix)called Jean-Michel who also plays really good guitar and my old mate John on percussion.Got together last friday night for a jam and recorded it all cos we all have short-term memory problems for some reason ("hey man,play that cool little riff you played last week" "er what really cool riff would that be man?").And what do you know....it worked!One very happy Caveman indeed.We do still need a drummer and keyboardist but we have the basis for a really cool band.

--------------
Profile PM 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: Mar. 09 2010, 11:08

Congrats Caveman! Polish-Canadian is an excellent mix for a prog-rock bassist (as proven by the singer/keyboardist/bassist from a little band called Rush).
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Mar. 09 2010, 11:24

Is Geddy Lee Polish-Canadian?Didn't know that! :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Mar. 09 2010, 11:29

Is Geddy Lee Polish-Canadian?Didn't know that! :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Mar. 09 2010, 13:34

Gee, I thought Geddy Lee was Scottish. Anyway my furniture arrived in my new pad today. Everything seems -Larger- than what I saw in the store. Takes up more room than I thought. This will make recreating my studio with previously used furniture problamatical. I will find a way I'm sure...
    Back on topic. I wanted to answer this thread early on but have been busy. Austin is a music capital due to south by southwest every year. Musicians come from Europe and elsewhere to get noticed. My problem, being influenced by MO and mostly 70's prog types from Europe is this region. Texans love Blues, country, heavy metal. Going back to the 80's when I was "searching" for cohorts, it ended with me doing Mike's thing, studio and me only. The musicians(I always wanted to be in a -band-) I met were either not into to my taste of music, or mostly, untrustworthy. Never showed up to meet/jam/experiment. I'm sure drugs was their problem and other things. I was seriously into my projects and decided to use machines instead(MIDI), sequencers, synths, etc. So I did, and enjoyed it. Funny how Austin is still Blues oriented all these years later. I should have adapted to that and made money from it. But blues gets boring after a while. So finally I quit looking. I made songs for me by me and enjoyed it. I figured if my heroes are dying out, entertain myself right? But there were times, I swear, the "wall of sound" I made while doing takes on something, litterally made me feel anxiety, a "rush" way too intense. Perhaps as I got older, that is why I mothballed my stuff. I remember once....funny night...a guy wanted me to help him record his song, "The Killing Zone". He was obsessed with being just like Jim Morrison. Even cut his hair the same way to look like him. We stayed up all night recording his vocals and organizing the instumentation(of which he played none), while I edited tracks of sequencer. In the end, he was pissed. He used it, but he was mad cuz it was too "arty". Sue me. MO (and others) really rubbed off on me. But to answer this thread, DAMN......YES it is hard to find likeminded folks. I prefer machines. Good day. My two pesos worth.
Jim

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2010, 10:01

I'd imagine Texas would be a really hard place to sell ideas outside the norm.In my past incarnation as a blues player all you heard was "Oh yeah Stevie Ray Vaughan.Love that Texas blues".It's been bloody hard work getting this far in middle England,let alone the southern states of the USA!
 Stick to your guns Jimbo mate.And if people don't like what you do then that's their tough sh*t!
 We're currently looking for a name.My "co-conspiritor" and I are thinking along the lines of something that means nothing very much in 2 words.Favourite of the moment is Talpa Blanco which i'm reliably informed translated from Brazillian and latin means "White Mole" which has the right kind of "WTF???" feel.None of the pretentious balls that a lot of prog bands seem to go for (such as Gandalf's Eyebrow or some such).Anyone got any ideas?

--------------
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2010, 11:06

I'd stay away from LOTR names. Way too overused. Shadowfax(80's).....Gandalf(more recent, one album included Steve Hackett). I'm sure there are lot's more.......I thought up a name for a heavy metal band, "Power Surge",  I bet it's been done though.
  SR Vaughn is still played very regularly on FM here. I like some of his offerings. "Cold Shot" for example. But blues is basically the same song written over and over. Rory Gallagher from Scotland(I think) was good, "Calling Card". That might be a cool name for a prog band. "Calling Card". You can't copyright a name like that. Look it up in the band names registry. I do like Smillsoids name CRM-114 from Kubrick. Cool. I need to review "Artificial Intelligence" and see if Spielberg used CRM114 as an homage, maybe a serial number on a robot?
    I'll evolve into the music thing as the dwelling takes shape. I might get rid of some stuff to make room. Yall be cool. Jim

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2010, 11:48

I come up with so many titles over the years(it's fun). I was looking at my signature which includes the words "carefree days". Then thought "Carefree Pays". As in crime pays, but more like "a happy state of mind", kind of like "Happy The Man" was a cool name for a short-lived now defunct band. Experiment with exotic words(not LOTR words or anything blatantly unoriginal). Two word names like Led Zeppelin or Iron Butterfly using two light vs. heavy words juxtaposed(but different of course) or two words from opposing meanings that signify you are "versatile". Or read up on Mysticism/supernatural subjects and find an esoteric word. Perhaps find that word(s) then twist them around like Lynyrd Skynyrd did with Leonard Skinner(their high school gym coach who gave them hell for having long hair). Or use a word from a college textbook that sounds cool. "Scatterplot" comes from statistics for example. "Outlier" is a cool name I contemplated from statistics. A piece of gathered data that falls so far out of the statistical range, that it is dismissed from the data pool. Although it seems more suited for a renegade type country fried rock band.  Try Outlier. See if it's in the band-name registry. I could do this all day. Jim

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2010, 13:04

Quote (Scatterplot @ Mar. 10 2010, 11:06)
Rory Gallagher from Scotland(I think) was good,

Carefull Jim.The Blues Police will be around later.Rory was from Cork in Southern Ireland! :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2010, 13:32

Jim, if you think it's hard to get something together in Texas, I live in a hillbilly hellhole in the middle of the Appalachians. You can't even find people that are into blues, let alone prog. (Rush? You mean Rush Limbaugh?) :/
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Mar. 25 2010, 11:26

Just to give you an update on progress.We've had 3 get togethers now and it's all going quite well.Nick is a damn fine guitarist and we're playing in harmony quite a bit.That's new to me.Sounds a bit like the Allman Brothers when Duanne was still alive.Still in the jamming stage to get the ideas together but we're now developing those ideas.As soon as we get some set peices together i'll try and get some on here.

--------------
Profile PM 
^NabLa^ Offline

Posted: Mar. 25 2010, 11:39

I make electronic music so I take care of every single stage, from sound creation to music writing, arrangement, mixing. Everything but mastering of course. This way everything that comes out of my act is 100% controlled by me, just the way I like it.

Just as well as it would do my head in to work with other people. Used to play at rock bands when I was on my teens and thanks, no thanks.

--------------
^NabLa^
Profile PM WEB 
39 replies since Feb. 15 2010, 12:20 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net