Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: "Theme from the Exorcist...." (yawn), Anyone else get annoyed at this?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
shenry Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 18 2022, 06:38

Does anyone else get annoyed at Tubular Bells being constantly referred to as the music from The Exorcist? It feels like every time I read or watch any review or commentary on the album, at some point the old "Of course we all know this is better known as the music from The Exorcist" trope gets rolled out.

I think it's usually the American audience, as I believe it didn't really catch on in America until the film.

Plus it hasn't helped that things like the theme to John Carpenter's Halloween ripping off Tubular Bells, and forever bonding the public's mind with the idea that Tubular Bells is "horror music".

But I don't actually associate it with The Exorcist at all. I got into Tubular Bells in childhood before I had seen or heard of the film, and the mood of the music is to me a kind of spectral invocation of childhood and beauty and not "horror music" at all.

I know, I know, I'm just a grumpy old man! But I just resent people missing out on the depth of Tubular Bells because it just gets reductively labelled as a scary film soundtrack.
Profile PM 
qcfoetus Offline

Posted: Nov. 18 2022, 13:09

Funny, I had the exact same musings recently! Last month, I took part in the Soundiron Halloween Challenge, which involved creating a score for a short, Halloween-inspired video (see https://youtu.be/3aCt7VkoTYU). I let the images inspire me, and what came out centred around a haunting piano part vaguely resembling... you know what! Was it a conscious decision on my part to leave it in? Well, yes, for the exact same reason that you mention. But, to be perfectly honest, it was a heartbreaking choice because, like you, I find it annoying that Tubular Bells is often associated as being *nothing more* than the music from The Exorcist, which, of course, it is not! I thought about sharing my dilemma with you guys on the forum, but decided not to because... you know... the point must have been raised a million times by now! However, when I read you this morning, I simply *had* to respond! So, bottom line, I 100% agree with you, but feel bad for adding a reference to Tubular Bells in my contribution to a silly horror music competition!
Profile PM 
Happy? Offline

Posted: Nov. 19 2022, 04:30

Although I've never seen the movie, I only associate the Introduction section of part 1 as the Exorcist film score, and actually only the first 3 minutes of it. As soon as the mandolin drops in, it's not horrorlike at all IMHO. I really like the organ raise(s) and the mandolin section(s). It always gives me euphoric shivers!

As I'm from the Netherlands, I more than the theme of the Exorcist associate the Tubular Bells introduction with suspense scenes from 'Bassie & Adriaan', our nationally famous clown and acrobate duo. They used only the first 3 minutes of TB.

--------------
I'd rather be... happy?
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Nov. 19 2022, 10:25

I feel you. It annoys me too.

A related thing that annoys me, is when americans talk about Pink Floyd, and they can't stop going on about it being "stoner music", how you have to listen to it high, and how Dark Side of the Moon syncs with The Wizard of Oz.
I have listened to Pink Floyd all my life, while not on drugs, and I don't see how I would need drugs to enhance that experience.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Nov. 21 2022, 05:00

I agree with all that has been said, for me Tubular Bells is unique, that fact it was used for that horror film is not something I ever think about when listening to it, I think about the genius who wrote and recorded it, even without the exposure from that film, it would have been a success.

I agree with Pink Floyd too, I have never taken any "stoner" drugs in my life, but I love Pink Floyd, you don't need drugs to enjoy Pink Floyd, or any music in my view.
Profile PM 
4 replies since Nov. 18 2022, 06:38 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net