Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The year Tubular Bells came out..., 1973 time capsule< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Gladstoner Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 24 2008, 05:10

And in 25 years, we will laugh at models wearing those below-the-breast belts in the 2008 catalog.

--------------
You don't find great music. It finds you.
Profile PM 
Ghostmojo Offline

Posted: April 06 2009, 17:04

The year Tubular Bells came out ... I was at school one day (aged just 13) and a mate said to me "my (older) sister's just bought this new LP, and I've only heard bits of it and it'll blow your bloody socks off. I've never heard anything like it before - j'wanna come round after school?"

So I said "yeh, alright" as did another friend, and the three of us trooped into his house round 4:30 that afternoon.

What happened next has always stayed with me and is the  beginning of a long line that ends with me typing stuff on this forum!!!

The record was of course Tubular Bells and right away I loved everything about it, including its fantastic iconic cover design. We sat there and played it over and over again for hours. I had to ring up my mum and ask if I could stay around for tea at Paul's house. We were utterly bewitched by this totally novel and unique piece of music. Dumbfounded in fact.

When I got home I said "I know what I want for Christmas" (having just missed my April birthday)!!! However, I couldn't wait that long and somehow managed to get the money to get my own copy. Yippeee!!!

Other stuff happened that year and other good LPs that I loved (like Eric Clapton's Rainbow Concert and The Dark Side Of The Moon) came and went - but only one really grabbed me by the proverbials ...

--------------
" ... if you feel a little glum - to Hergest Ridge you should come ... "
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: April 07 2009, 04:11

Unfortunately i was born too late (january 75)but i was absolutely obsessed with TB by the time i was 2!My earliest memory is standing in the front room of our flat playing a red plastic guitar (i say playing but thrashing it is probably the best description)with TB playing on the record player pretending to play it.I also remember going down into the cellar while the bagpipe section played and finding it very scary.I have a stupidly good memory for very early childhood and a lot of it has TB as the soundtrack.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: April 06 2014, 06:16

I've always thought 1973 was a great year, not least because I was born that year :D
But the music that came out that year have been such a big part of my life:
Tubular Bells
Dark Side of The Moon
Band on The Run
Living in the Material World
It was also the year J.R.R. Tolkien died.
Profile PM 
23 replies since Mar. 31 2008, 03:25 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net