Which Jackie B.
The one that would save you a dollar?
Or the one that would cost you many? :D
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 16 2010, 21:54

Quote (Ugo @ July 16 2010, 18:58)
@ nightspore: when we had that discussion, I had kind-of forgot that IHP was on side 2 of Crises. I remembered that only after the discussion ended. :D

OK. By the way, I agree with you. The live version leading into "Etude", which I've just listened, to, is much better. What a pity a studio version doesn't exist.
Profile PM 
Mi-D Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2011, 09:22

It was (too) long ago I was listening to the wind chimes, but the other day during a long drive with the car I took the opportunity.
Had forgotten how well composed it was where all the pieces fit together so perfectly.
A little extra plus to Björn Json Lindh and hes flute!

Cheers//Dan
Profile PM 
AUTOMATIC 18 Offline

Posted: Aug. 12 2012, 14:42

This LP, Heaven's Open and Earth Moving are the my three least favourites! I love 'Flying Start' thought. Great song! And I like when Mike sings 'they had no choice' in the chorus behind Kevin!
The Wind Chimes itself is long and meandering and inconclusive and finds Mike running low on inspiration! I bought the VHS version of this in the early 90s and the best thing was the older bonus videos Mike added for 'Five Miles Out and a few more!!
Profile PM WEB 
knife edge Offline

Posted: Mar. 06 2014, 13:27

Definitely the most underrated masterpiece of Mike! I'm listening to MOTR in these days... and I miss the years of Crises, Discovery and Islands...
Profile PM 
MasterGeek.MX Offline

Posted: Mar. 08 2014, 01:40

Indeed. The touch of indonesia music makes it amazing. And (in my opinion) the rest of the album is regular. Magic Touch is the best, and Islands and Flying Star are good. But the Wind Chimes...

--------------
Hailings from a Mexican Mike Oldfield's fan.

Y chingue su madre el que no le guste Campanas Tubulares!
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Mar. 08 2014, 03:10

I tend to underrate "The Wind Chimes" because I think it pales in comparison to his other instrumentals from the 80s, but in fact it's a very interesting and beautiful piece of music.
I have two objections though:
-"part 1" (the introduction), which I find both dull and generic. As sounds as it was written by someone else.
- the "play it silently-then play it loud"-dynamic employed towards the end of the piece that was oh so emotional in Taurus II and the Lake is starting to sound more bombastic here. With Amarok Mike would overuse this technique and to me it then sounded more its main purpose was to make the album 60 minutes long.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
66 replies since Jan. 23 2004, 16:39 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < 1 2 3 [4] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net