Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (4) < [1] 2 3 4 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The Wind Chimes... what a masterpiece!!!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Delfín Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 23 2004, 16:39

I think one of the real gems Mike has left for the future is 'The Wind Chimes'. It is perfect in every sense of music and has a touch of any style you would like to listen. It seems like he knows perfectly what he wants to express from end to finish, and they're all positive and happy things and perfectly expressed in terms of music.

I really would like to know a bit more about this instrumental piece, 'cos there's pretty nothing about it on the credits, and I don't believe Mike plays all the instruments, the drums for example. I would love to find out as well what places or situations inspired this wonderful piece and would appreciate any information, even if loosely, brought about this unique composition.

Regards,

Delfín>

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 23 2004, 17:13

The drums are played by Simon Phillips.
Anita Hegerland does the chants.
Mike plays everything else. :)
AFAIK the piece was inspired by the traditional music of Bali. Mike was there for a bit, and also sampled some local noises and chanting.

However, Delfín, I agree with you: TWC is a masterpiece. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Jan. 23 2004, 17:20

The Moerlen brothers do a bit of vibraphone on there, you can see one of them in the video. I believe Björn J:son Lindh did some flutes in there too. There may be more, but working out who's where isn't such an easy game!
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Jan. 24 2004, 06:55

Quote (Ugo @ Jan. 23 2004, 17:13)
AFAIK the piece was inspired by the traditional music of Bali. Mike was there for a bit, and also sampled some local noises and chanting.

Don't mean to be a smart arse but there's a big difference between classical, traditional and religious music. The Gamelan, which had some obvious influence on TWC, is an ensemble of classical Balinese music and consists mostly of metallophones. The Ramayana monkey chant which can also be heard on TWC (and on Bones), is (I think) a religious chant. Not sure about that though. Still, there might also be influences from traditional Balinese music. All in all, though, I find the Balinese influence to be quite superficial. I mean most of it is just typical MO stuff.  :p
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 24 2004, 21:49

You can't entirely blame me, Holger - what I wrote was reminiscent of a note in the Elements booklet, which, as we all know [apart from endings being just beginnings and all that... :)], was co-written by Mr. Dave Laing, who I don't think is well-known (amongst MO fans, at least) for his absolute and faultless precision. :D

--------------
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Feb. 19 2004, 09:49

Listening to The Wind Chimes was a weird thing, the first time around. Strange thing, even today - after 4 listens, more or less - I think that piece has the worst opening in all Mike's pieces. The melody is completely banal and simple, so why that overblown, pompous, self-important arrangement? Blah. I guess that I was pretty biased, then, when I started listening. I was more-or-less prepared to hate it, and all those sudden musical ideas were making me annoyed... until the big climax at 18 minutes came in. I was blown away! After that one, I began to appreciate The Wind Chimes a whole lot more. Still, I hate that beginning - and the reprise at the ending. Heh.

By the way: am I the only one who thinks Magic Touch is the worst Mike song ever? At least until that point?

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Feb. 20 2004, 14:42

Probably.

:O

--------------
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Feb. 20 2004, 14:45

Or... maybe... you prefer 'Speak ('tho you only say farewell)' ???

--------------
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Feb. 24 2004, 18:29

Quote (Delfín @ Feb. 20 2004, 14:45)

Well, that can't be technically considered as a "Mike Oldfield song"... :/

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Profile PM WEB 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Feb. 24 2004, 19:22

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Feb. 19 2004, 09:49)
By the way: am I the only one who thinks Magic Touch is the worst Mike song ever? At least until that point?

It's interesting you say this. As I can recoilect when I was 13 and heard Islands for the first time - I knew then nothing about Mike -, Magic Touch was one of the very first songs I liked from him. It's Mike's most emotional love song to me and I was in that mood then. ;)

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Feb. 24 2004, 19:26

[OFF TOPIC]

I think that the worst song ever written by Mike is "In high places". I just think it's musically horrible - I've always hated that song and I think I always will.  :p IMHO Mike and Jon managed much better on "Shine".

--------------
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Feb. 24 2004, 21:28

Quote (Delfín @ Feb. 20 2004, 14:45)

I can't really understand all the 'Speak' bashing. Sounds to me like they had a lot of fun with that one! And it's really just sort of a bonus track to the box set, it's not as if it was on a regular album.
Profile PM 
wowser Offline

Posted: Feb. 24 2004, 23:32

Quote (Holger @ Jan. 24 2004, 06:55)
Quote (Ugo @ Jan. 23 2004, 17:13)

Don't mean to be a smart arse but there's a big difference between classical, traditional and religious music. The Gamelan, which had some obvious influence on TWC, is an ensemble of classical Balinese music and consists mostly of metallophones. The Ramayana monkey chant which can also be heard on TWC (and on Bones), is (I think) a religious chant. Not sure about that though. Still, there might also be influences from traditional Balinese music. All in all, though, I find the Balinese influence to be quite superficial. I mean most of it is just typical MO stuff.  :p

quite true. to actually utilize actual elements like court gamelan would be very hard, given the immensly complex time signatures it uses

--------------
Pointless act! You don't give a five hundred dollar tip to the housekeeper! That's inappropriate! That's inexcusable!
Profile PM 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: Feb. 25 2004, 17:24

I think the word you are all looking for is native or Aboriginal.

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Jan. 13 2005, 07:19

I was very struck listening to The Wind Chimes by the similarities between it and Amarok, almost as though it was a dry run for the later piece.  The instrumentation, the fast edits, the barage of ideas, the use of 'world music' rhythms and voicings juxtaposed with Mike's music (though I guess that dates back to Ommadawn).  I even heard, in one section, a simillar melody (one that seemed to have been remodelled for both Amarok and The Bell from Tubular Bells II).  And yet Amarok is often praised for being one of a kind.  To me, it's relationship to The Wind Chimes is very close.

Just my two cents.

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Jan. 13 2005, 07:57

Spot on, Jules.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Jan. 13 2005, 08:41

Definitely. The Wind Chimes is the creation of the compositional style (as well as many other things) Mike used for Amarok. Amarok began with The Wind Chimes and ended with Music From The Balcony - all three pieces are more-or-less rooted on the same style, albeit with several crucial differences. It's a shame that Mike never tried something similar again.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Mesje Offline

Posted: July 08 2005, 21:08

Quote (Ugo @ Feb. 25 2004, 01:26)
[OFF TOPIC]

I think that the worst song ever written by Mike is "In high places". I just think it's musically horrible - I've always hated that song and I think I always will.  :p IMHO Mike and Jon managed much better on "Shine".

UNBELIEVABLE!- IN HIGH PLACES CAN  BE played and LISTENED TO in HIGH PLACES as well as it CAN take you for a trip to the HIGHEST PLACES.
No, absolutely i DISagree with you- the emotion that is hidden in "In high places " struck me when I heard this for the very first time and still fills me with the purest essence of joy and life. It's masterpiece, real pearl, as well as The Lake, Saved By a Bell, Wind Chimes  and Jungle Gardenia and many many others - a bit aside MO's "mainstream"- are!!!!!!! :O  :laugh:  :D  :)

--------------
"I CAN SEE THERE'S GONNA BE A MESSAGE FROM AFAR"
Profile PM WEB 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Feb. 06 2006, 15:03

THE WIND CHIMES IS CRIMINALLY UNDER-RATED! :D

Parts of it are beautiful, some groovy.... all moving  :cool:

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
ImAFoolAndImLaughing Offline

Posted: Mar. 03 2006, 12:24

I love most of The Wind Chimes - one of Mike's finest, IMO... BUT(!;) I agree with Sir Mustapha that the opening is truly dreadful! I have to admit I always skim through this bit on me CD player to get to the wonderful varied and textured music beyond...
:)

--------------
"I was in this prematurely air conditioned supermarket and there were these bathing caps you could buy that had these kind of Fourth of July plumes on them that were red and yellow and blue and I wasn't tempted to buy one but I was reminded of the fact that I had been avoiding the beach."
Profile PM 
66 replies since Jan. 23 2004, 16:39 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < [1] 2 3 4 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net