Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The weirdness on this album< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
AwayWeGo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 18 2015, 19:00

Tubular Bells III was trimmed down from an original (much longer) cut, but does anyone else feel as if this album cut was rather rough?

There are a few abrupt stops, like the guitar at the end of "Outcast." It just gets cut off. The same thing happens at the end of "The Watchful Eye." "Serpent Dream" has a cut right before what sounds like it's about to be a crescendo.

Some of the synthesizer/glockenspiel type sounds on this album (notably on "The Source of Secrets") have all-but-distracting overtones that have never plagued a Tubular Bells album before this installation.

There is a tinny audio clip sound at the end of "Far Above the Clouds," like there was a disc read error or something on the album.

Also, I don't get the whole wind notes thing. It doesn't appear in a complex enough fashion to be an enjoyable repeated motif.

Lastly. I just don't think this was really technically a "Tubular Bells" album. I mean, technically only Mike can make that call, but it felt more like a collection of songs than a complex Tubular Bells record.

Did these things jump out at anyone else? Let me know what you think. Thanks all!
Profile PM 
Rob Alias Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 20 2015, 21:55

That is an interesting idea, especially as the album was released during a time when the CD format had greatly increased the available time for music (for good and ill). This might suggest that the editing, if indeed true, may have been made for artistic reasons? I would certainly be interested in knowing more.

And I quite dislike the album altogether.

Rob Alias
:)
Profile PM 
1 replies since Aug. 18 2015, 19:00 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net