Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The Velvet Rope: Janet Jackson< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
bennyboy Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 27 2000, 12:48

I just listened to the Janet Jackson song "The Velvet Rope" the other day and I discovered that it used a "Tubular Bells" riff

I wonder what all you other people out there on this forum think about this song.

I think this is one weird song and on first listen I kinda grew to like it, ("we have a special neeeeeed...")but the rest of the album really didn't hold an interest for me, so I didn't buy it.

Opinions people!

PS My friend Daniel had listened to two of the tracks "Velvet Rope" and "Don't know what you got till its gone" and said to me that JJ "Did for Joni Mitchell the equivalent of drawing a moustache on the Mona Lisa and for Mike Oldfield the equivalent of urinating on a Rembrant"
Incidentally I would not go that far, but I do not like the Joni Mitchell mutation very much.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Nov. 27 2000, 17:02

I wouldn't go that far either, bennyboy. Actually I like that song and I think it's a pretty clever use of the theme. I don't know the Sarah Brightman song you mentioned in another topic, so I can't make a comparison.
But I ought to tell you something: the JJ song is credited as "Written by Mike Oldfield, Janet Jackson, Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis". Did Mike also get such a credit on the Brightman song?

P.S. What's all that fuss you made over the Pavarotti & Friends topic? By what I've read in the "Do fans expect..." topic (both the original message and your subsequent postings to that topic), you gave me the impression of being a very intelligent and thoughtful MO fan. So why create all that fuss over what I think is nothing more than an utterly trivial matter? If you were just joking, please tell me by posting a message somewhere or by emailing me.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
bennyboy Offline

Posted: Nov. 27 2000, 19:03

Listen, Ugo, if you are talking about that posting I sent last night I was having trouble with the text formatting on my computer, and ALL my e-mail and outgoing messages were coming out garbled. I fixed the problem with my computer straight after I saw what how my post had turned out.

IT WAS NOT INTENDED TO PROVOKE A CYBERFIGHT!
DO YOU UNDERSTAND NOW?

Good. As for the other information I was misinformed by an internet pen pal, and I have apologised for that on the respective forum. Thankyou though for your comments on my previous posts, and the "do fans expect too much?" forum, nice to know someone appreciated it. I have received some hate mail from people for daring to question Mikes brilliance. So please, don't take this misunderstanding to heart, I don't need any more hatemail right now, and like I said I'M NOT INTERESTED IN CYBERFIGHTS.

As to the credits on the Sarah Brightman song I don't know. You see I downloaded the song off the net. But it is a good song.

So is "Velvet Rope", I'm just saying I prefer the Brightman one thats all. Its just a personal thing
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Nov. 28 2000, 08:09

>IT WAS NOT INTENDED TO PROVOKE A CYBERFIGHT!
>DO YOU UNDERSTAND NOW?

Yes, I understand...you were having computer problems and you were joking. smile

>So please, don't take this misunderstanding >to heart, I don't need any more hatemail >right now, and like I said I'M NOT >INTERESTED IN CYBERFIGHTS.

I'm not taking anything to heart. I just wanted to be 100% sure that the Pavarotti thing was absolutely not a serious matter, neither for me nor for you. Now I AM 100% sure about that. wink I also read your message in that forum.

Apart from all this, I'll let you and all the other members know about the credits on the Brightman song if I find 'em somewhere.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
3 replies since Nov. 27 2000, 12:48 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net