Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < 1 2 [3] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The ultimate rant, track-by-track breakdown.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Holger Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 06 2004, 15:45

Well, I've always been a big fan of the original, and I view TB2003 quite independently from it actually. I knew I would from the first time I heard Mike was re-doing TB; I knew that whatever it would turn out, it would never replace the original, for me or anyone. However, I have to say it turned out much better than I had expected. Some things in it are truly awful, such as the drums in Finale. Other sections I really like, as Mike pieces as such, not in comparison to the original. I think TB2003, if anything, is closer to Mike's 80s instrumentals than to anything he did in the 70s (or 90s actually). All in all, I simply take it as a pretty good Mike album, not the best but by no means the worst. (That said, I only listened to it perhaps twelve times so far.)
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Oct. 06 2004, 21:07

Of course music is all subjective: it's just like a favourite colour, there's no such thing as right or wrong. I personally can't believe Sir M that you get nothing out of Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb at all, but you and me are different people with different tastes. That said, I do agree with you that TB 2003 is maybe a little too synthetic (in part 1 at least), and doesn't evoke the same emotions in me that the original does (except for Ambient Guitars of course, another example of emotional responses all being subjective). If the original had never existed, TB 2003 would be a good album for me, but not great like the original. Part One from the original and Part Two from TB 2003 would make a really great album if put together.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
algenicus002 Offline

Posted: Aug. 10 2005, 07:01

My major gripe with Mike Oldfield is his distorted guitar tone and his obsession with digital distortion systems. He piles on tons and tons of DIGITALLY-generated "gain" and then seems to either DI the whole thing or use the amplifier at a seriously low volume setting. This results in this horrible, fizzy tone, that mushes to earbleed levels on distorted chords, with absolutely no single-note definition in the chords. Mike should finally listen to someone who knows how to record a distorted electric guitar.

Also, I didn't like the tone of the Wal bass. Then again, I never liked Wal basses in the first place.
Profile PM 
42 replies since April 04 2004, 11:51 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 2 [3] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net