Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The Ultimate Bell, dobbel mix album of Mike Oldfield< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: May 04 2007, 05:21

Seconding (or is it thirding or fourthing?) the thanks to Tubularman. I'm *loving* listening to this. Amazing bit of work.

As others have pointed out it does make you wonder why this hasn't been done before as a variation on a "best of" compilation. It has so many advantages: something new for existing fans to listen to and yet still giving the essence of the artists work to new listeners.

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Falc04 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 04 2007, 12:09

I really like how you managed to find room for the ending of 'The Lake' into this 2-disc compilation.  IMHO, one of Mike's best (yet least-known) tracks.

Have not stopped listening to this for three days now!
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: May 04 2007, 12:34

@ Matt: you're wondering why this has never been done before (officially, I mean)? That's simple: because record companies, when they create a best-of compilation, they simply stick 'official' versions of pieces, just like they are, one after another, and the best-of CD is done. Tubularman, on the other hand, has done an amazing and painstaking work in editing together sections of pieces - not just the best pieces, the best sections! - taking his material from various versions... official, unofficial, live, "album versions", "single versions"... a whole lot of stuff! :) This is simply not the kind (and the amount) of work that record companies usually do, because they don't have the time to, or they just don't want to. ;)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
skywise Offline

Posted: May 06 2007, 13:17

Hi
first time posting here and I just wanted to say thank you to Tubularman for making that available.  I can tell how much time and love you invested in this project and it really shows.

I've also downloaded your light & shade project, and I'm lookin forward to listening to that one tonight.

nice one!

PS - superb packaging matey.

--------------
...and where the fear has gone there will be nothing. only i will remain.
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: May 06 2007, 14:42

thanks everybody  :D
again  :)

quote Matt:
It was very enjoyable to make in a way to suprise the listeners. That was my plan number one. And i guess it works.
Also a cool new way to listen of Mike..

quote Falc04:
Geneva on sunny days (lake) is mixed with both Fairlight mixes and the studio version. The fairlight part is more simple and when the studio part starts, it is like rising up the melody. (difficult to explain  with my bad english, but i hope you understand what i mean)
I also added some parts from amarok and  Music For the Video Wall into this hymn to his lovely Lake song.

quote Ugo and skywise for nice words. Skywise; i hope you also enjoy the L+S mixes. :)

Kay

:cool:

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: May 08 2007, 08:31

Quote (Ugo @ May 04 2007, 17:34)
...This is simply not the kind (and the amount) of work that record companies usually do, because they don't have the time to, or they just don't want to. ;)

I also suspect that trying to sort out copyright officially for such a wealth of sources would be a nightmare. Depressing really when you realise what can be achieved and compare it to the usual lacklustre "The Ultimate Best of Mike Oldfield 2007" release  :/

Anyway, almost too depressing thinking about it. On a positive note Tubularman, I'm still listening to and loving your mix. There, happy again :)

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
onion Offline

Posted: May 08 2007, 10:06

Yeah, jokes aside - a great effort by "tubeman"  .-
I guess the ringworms in the records companys could learn a bit from him.

Mike

--------------
Are soft boiled eggs supposed to make a crunchy noise when you eat them?
Profile PM 
onion Offline

Posted: May 08 2007, 10:07

Ringworms???

It might just be that tapeworms is more correct!  

Mike :p

--------------
Are soft boiled eggs supposed to make a crunchy noise when you eat them?
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Posted: May 10 2007, 20:21

i have just uploaded some "videos" with this mix music in background. It is just pictures in the background.
But nice to watch while listening..

Soon it will be something better, i promise  :D

Amadian part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2H0mgqF8-cY

By the Shore of Gitche Gumee
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwrPw2bLghc

it is really a nice alternative listening before downloading really...

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
Profile PM WEB 
bevy Offline

Posted: May 11 2007, 11:50

nice...

Keep up the good work there m8.
Profile PM 
Gladstoner Offline

Posted: May 18 2008, 03:30

Very nice, smooth, interesting mix.

One question:  which version of 'Ommadawn' is used in 'Amadian Part 2'?

--------------
You don't find great music. It finds you.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: May 18 2008, 18:23

@ Gladstoner: this is an excerpt from what Kay (i.e. mr. Tubularman himself) wrote me by e-mail when I asked him about sources...

"To have a fresh feeling over this piece I took Proms version of ommadawn, and I think that was a success.. after the drums are starting part 2 of ommadawn takes over. (this is made even more dramatic, with echoes from killing fields) the wind and the choir makes it sound very "Fallen". But I did not want to have all the part 2 so I found a perfect end to this. The Exposed and studio version of Incantations. It lift the songs up and I was very happy when I found this end. I guess I made very many endings for this Amadian part 2. But this was made for it."

@ Kay: sorry for quoting some of your private mail to me on a public board. If you're upset about this, I promise it won't happen again.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Gladstoner Offline

Posted: May 19 2008, 21:15

Quote (Ugo @ May 18 2008, 17:23)
@ Gladstoner: this is an excerpt from what Kay (i.e. mr. Tubularman himself) wrote me by e-mail when I asked him about sources...

"To have a fresh feeling over this piece I took Proms version of ommadawn, and I think that was a success..

Thanks for the info.

Because I've only heard the 'Boxed' remix, I was wondering if it was the original.

--------------
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: May 20 2008, 01:40

Gladstoner, if you like Ommadawn, you might be interested in Tubularman's wonderful collection of various live (and other) versions.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Gladstoner Offline

Posted: May 20 2008, 17:23

Quote (Sweetpea @ May 20 2008, 00:40)
Gladstoner, if you like Ommadawn, you might be interested in Tubularman's wonderful collection of various live (and other) versions.

Thanks much, but it looks like the file has expired.

--------------
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: May 22 2008, 04:24

Oh, pooh! Sorry about that, Gladstoner.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: June 09 2008, 21:47

Kay-well done.  You approach the music with enormous imagination and respect.  I've been enjoying this very much and appreciate all the time and effort you've spent on it.  Don't let it be the last thing you do (or the Ommdawn 2007 set-I can't remember which came first).

:)

--------------
Turn up the music... Hi as Fi can go.
Profile PM 
Gambit Offline

Posted: Sep. 18 2008, 22:34

Absolutly Stunning. Breathtakingly amazing!

IM in love with this
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Posted: Sep. 19 2008, 08:31

oh thank you all guys! I have missed all the posts here :)
Actually! I have a new mix album on my site now. I will soon make a post about it  :D

Thx for all the comments! really!!  :)

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
Profile PM WEB 
Gambit Offline

Posted: Sep. 21 2008, 21:51

I am having trouble downloading your Ommadanw mix!
Profile PM 
44 replies since Mar. 26 2007, 17:14 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net