Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The Trumpet, Sounding very heraldic< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
nightspore Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 10 2018, 21:29

It occurred to me how rare it is for the trumpet to have a prominent voice in Mike's work. The instance of it in Part 1 is very heraldic and beautiful.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Mar. 16 2018, 05:18

It's extremely beautiful, epsecially as heard on the original mix of the album.

But there's the trumpet "duet" in Incantations pt 1 also that is somewhat similiar. I like the "regal" tone of those passages. Very dramatic.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 16 2018, 07:17

Yes, I reacquainted myself with that only recently and I agree, both are very regal and dramatic. As an aside it would be quite interesting to start a thread inquiring whether there's any instrument that doesn't feature on one of Mike's albums, but I can't with certainty come up with one!
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Mar. 16 2018, 13:11

Quote (nightspore @ Mar. 16 2018, 07:17)
Yes, I reacquainted myself with that only recently and I agree, both are very regal and dramatic. As an aside it would be quite interesting to start a thread inquiring whether there's any instrument that doesn't feature on one of Mike's albums, but I can't with certainty come up with one!

Has he ever used an accordeon? I know there's an accordeon sound on "Rite of Man", but I think that's a Fairlight synth sound.

No theremin or mellotron either as far as I know.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 16 2018, 20:54

I was thinking of the autoharp but I could be wrong. It's a pity there aren't more voices on the forum to offer a perspective...
Profile PM 
Craig Evans Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2018, 03:33

Quote (larstangmark @ Mar. 16 2018, 13:11)

Has he ever used an accordeon? I know there's an accordeon sound on "Rite of Man", but I think that's a Fairlight synth sound.

Its funny you mention that.  Mike actually has used the accordion!  It was most prominently used for "Portsmouth" and "Don Alfonso".  However it was also used less obviously in some very unusual places.  These were the long overdubbed sombre guitar intro to "Ommadawn Part 2" and the mad bit from "Bagpipe Guitars" in "Tubular Bells 2003".  This is a bit strange since the accordion wasn't used on the original "Tubular Bells".

--------------
"It is good to be on Horseback" - Mike Oldfield "On Horseback"

"(Insert "The Thunderstorm" here)"
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Mar. 28 2018, 15:41

Quote (nightspore @ Mar. 16 2018, 07:17)

There's some Mellotron on Return to Ommadawn, but I'd have to re-listen to get the exact timings of it and what it's playing.

It's probably the G-Force M-Tron Pro, rather than a *real* one, but you never know.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: April 03 2018, 02:55

Does anyone know if Mike has played the electric zither on anything? There's an instrument on TL2 that sounds like one, but I'm not sure.
Profile PM 
Legend Offline

Posted: April 04 2018, 06:19

What about tuba?
Profile PM 
8 replies since Mar. 10 2018, 21:29 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net