Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The tracks x Parts One and Two< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 10 2003, 12:45

Every time I listen to TB2003,although you've got 17 tracks,I still consider that there are only Part 1 and 2 to listen.Okidoki,the tracks help me to listen my fav parts,but...

What about you?

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: July 10 2003, 16:56

I like the split tracks. It's still part 1 and 2 in my mind, but it's easiers to get through the parts I like with the split tracks. I don't like the long part 1 and part 2 tracks.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
Mark 1 Offline

Posted: July 11 2003, 09:48

For me, I still see it as one album...
:)
Profile PM 
jael on holiday
Unregistered

Posted: July 11 2003, 18:22

Surely I agree with you Tati.

As far as I'm concerned he shouldn't even have made all these little tracks.
Just a part 1 & 2.
maria Offline

Posted: July 12 2003, 05:57

i also still consider just two parts, well, when i listen to it in my portable cd... it has been loooong time listening to it that way. and when i listen to it in my computer it's annoying that one can't get rid of the separation between tracks... it's so clear and "antinatural" that i prefer not to listen to it in the computer...
the original, without the separation, run smooth like an oil stream, but with those (long) pauses it's like stopping the flow... it cuts a bit the breathe until the music starts again... this is annoying for me cause the music was thought to be a unity and in some way it has lost it because of this jumps between tracks. it's weird for instance the end of 'bagpipe guitars' with the increasing tension, the drums announcing the caveman and u get suspended waiting for four or five seconds for its voice... like if he were not ready on time to get into stage... just a feeling.
i said it before it was released, i was afraid of this and now, some months after, i think the same. not a good point.

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 
SHINE Offline

Posted: July 12 2003, 06:31

I  NEVER play TB 2003 in my PC, because of the track separation.
           I think that TB was created 30 years ago to be a two track album, and it really sounds fluent in that way.
           I just can't stand this empty spaces that leave the music without conection
           Besides,try to listen to "track 16: Ambient Guitars", even on an HI FI set: go directly to track 16 and you get  one or two seconds of track 15's end. You can't "understand" what's that "bit of noise" before that peacefull  "track".
           IMHO TB was composed as a whole and it has to be listend that way
           That's why I play TB 2003 only on my HI FI set, and I listen to the whole album
           It's a pity: my best amp and loudspeakers are plugged in my computer...
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: July 22 2003, 08:46

I also think TB "feels" like a two part work, like, two different compositions that belong to a 'whole' in some way. I do know that separating tracks causes problem when playing on computers, and that's why Dark Side Of The Moon is recorded into one single MP3 in my computer. :)

But yes, TB will always feel like a two part thing, no matter how many tracks it's spilt into. None of these parts feel good when listened to their own, imo. The Finale wouldn't have the same impact if listened by itself! If Amarok was spilt into, I don't know, 96 tracks, I'd never skip into "Boat" or "Africa II" because they wouldn't have any impact.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
SCprogfan
Unregistered

Posted: July 22 2003, 17:20

I definitely consider it to be 2 long parts, although sometimes I do feel like just listening to the finale, so track markers are no problem for me.  Sometimes when I make compilations of long pieces, I will drop in my own track markers at my favorite parts.  I also like doing things like lifting out random 20 minute sections of Amarok for different compilations.
Baggiesfaninessex Offline

Posted: July 23 2003, 15:02

I will always consider TB2003 as two tracks but I don't consider the breaking down to several shorter tracks a problem apart from the issues around playing the CD in a PC. Yes, it is annoying when you have gaps in what is designed to be a continuous piece of music. It is another blocker for those who would like to 'rip' the original and 'burn' copies too.

A few years ago, I purchased a CD containing a couple of twenty-five minute tracks (*Constance Demby's 'Novus Magnificat' to be precise) and rather than seperate the various themes as tracks, the artist emplyed indexing which meant that one could play the CD without gaps on a PC, but then could use the indexing when listening on a compatible hi-fi to jump to one's favourite bit. I wonder why this wasn't explored further in the production of CDs as it would appear that it would have solved a few problems for listeners wishing to use a variety of 'players'.

*By the way, this album is fantastic and I highly recommend it to those who like spacey electronica influenced by sacred and symphonic classical music  :)

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
Paul D Offline

Posted: July 23 2003, 19:12

Tubular Bells 2003 is just another means for MO to make more money out of a very old piece of music. He should have left TB in 1973. It belongs there in its beauty. It is time for Mike to compose the new album that is twenty years ahead of its time now,the music that everyone will copy and follow, just like back in 1973. except this time there is no punk rock waiting in the shadows. But can he do it again? :/
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Posted: July 24 2003, 00:12

Tubular Bells 2003 is just another means for MO to make more money out of a very old piece of music.

How many people has it been now that have gotten this fact wrong?

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: July 24 2003, 08:44

Well fundamentaly Mike is making a lot of money out of an old piece of music with TB2003, however to be less cynical about it a few of us do realise there are more aristic reasons, as far as Mike is concerned, for doing it.

For what its worth I do wish everybody here would draw a line under TB2003 and kind of move on and try and look forward to what Mike's going to do next and even chanel their energies into suggesting some ideas for his next big project including persuading him to release some sort of rareties collection between now and the next studio album coming out (which could be a while).

Love or loath TB2003 I still think this has been a bad year (so far) for Mike.
Profile PM 
Der Straussmeister
Unregistered

Posted: July 31 2003, 21:01

&@$*( track separations!

It takes me several tries to get the flaming thing to play via CD player on the PC.

&@() Warners *$#_  :O

Still a work of genius tho.....

and remember what Mike said about Old Tin Boxes!  :D
davidramirer Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2003, 07:57

i find the selections ok. it is an funny variation to the first TB, to split the work in several tracks, an the names are the best choice becouse of their humour. it was funny to read them, and every time i pick the cd i must smile about that.
Profile PM 
Skeletor Offline

Posted: Aug. 17 2003, 18:38

i still think tubular bells 2003 as 2 parts, yet the tracks are good as i sometimes dont feel like listening to the whole of a part or fastforwarding.
The type of music or even parts of tubular bells i listen to varies with the mood i am in.
Profile PM 
theweightless Offline

Posted: Aug. 17 2003, 20:48

it's great that i find my favourite parts very easy with the tracks..but i've copied the album to my computer as two parts..it feels more natural that way

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2003, 10:42

Even though I find the separations no problem, I personally wouldn't break it down to 17. It's a bit of exaggeration. "Ghost Bells"? Heh heh, whatever. My TB would have something like 10 tracks, I dunno. :)

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
tubularbills Offline

Posted: Aug. 31 2003, 21:50

seperate tracks is sooooooooo much better than just two big ass ones. It provides a way to sort of "skip" to your favorite parts (wouldn't that be nice to do in the original amarok?). plus it gives the artist a way to be more creative with naming the tracks. although the names in TB2003 were rather to the point (basses, introduction, etc...) some other albums have great titles: TSODE, TB3, TB2. i couldn't imagine having to fast forward through 40 some odd minutes to get to the end of TB3 to hear FATC. likewise, having to fast forward 20 some minutes on the original TB to hear that finale was a bit of a burden.

--------------
Terrible, Wonderful, Crazy, Perfect.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Sep. 01 2003, 13:41

Quote (TOBY @ July 24 2003, 09:44)
Well fundamentaly Mike is making a lot of money out of an old piece of music with TB2003, however to be less cynical about it a few of us do realise there are more aristic reasons, as far as Mike is concerned, for doing it.

I see TB 2003 as the final episode of the soap-opera "I`ve neve liked the way the original came out and I want to change it!"

I´m glad Mike did what he wanted to do.TB the way he´s always wanted.I want to see him happy with himself,doing what he wants to do.

The track separation is good only to go just to the parts you like most...

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: July 09 2007, 03:54

when i listen to it in my computer it's annoying that one can't get rid of the separation between tracks

Perhaps that was an issue with older player software? Otherwise, I think that should be easily adjusted through one's playback options.

I'm very happy with having seperate tracks. It gives me the option of listening through uninterrupted or skipping to my favorite section - currently "Peace". :)

I'm quite grateful for this rerecording. It has made the Tubular Bells music more accessible to me.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
19 replies since July 10 2003, 12:45 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net