Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The Tempest, On My Heart, Mike's sleeve notes< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
CJJC Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 21 2012, 13:09

I had wanted to write a long classical piece for an orchestra and Music of the Spheres was the result. Although there had been an orchestral version of Tubular Bells, I wasn't involved with that project and had never written an entire work specifically for an orchestra. I didn't have the musical training to write classical music and so I enlisted the help of the composer Karl Jenkins to work on the project. Karl had been a member of Soft Machine, and he reminded me when I first contacted him that we had actually met and worked together when I performed Tubular Bells for BBC TV in 1973. He played the oboe during that performance and I remember that he only had a few notes to play, and he sat patiently throughout the piece waiting for this section. I was living near Bristol and he was based in the Gower Peninsula in Wales and so he came to see me and agreed to do the orchestrations. I would make a sample version of the work, using MIDI and so on, and this would then be put into a computer programme* called Sibelius which printed a score of the music. I was looking for a suitable vocalist and my record company for this album, Universal Classics and Jazz, suggested Hayley Westenra, who came to Abbey Road Studios and sang beautifully on the piece On My Heart.

The Tempest was another piece from the album that I was very pleased with. Sibelius was one of the first classical composers that really made an impression on me. He had a way of combining fast strings with very slow brass parts. It was a very odd time signature for a classic work, but it came together perfectly.

To promote the album a special concert was staged in Bilbao at the Guggenheim Museum. I had foolishly agreed to do twenty or so interviews the day of the concert and was pretty exhausted. The concert concert was the first time that I had actually played with an orchestra following a conductor, instead of playing to a click track. Conducting is an imprecise thing. One would think that the downward stroke of the baton represented the actual click, but because an orchestra actually plays behind, the beat actually looks more like the upward stroke of the baton, so I was trying to follow this wondering which baton movements I would follow. The combination of this and feeling tired from the promotional interviews led me to play the most god awful wrong note during my solo part that was a complete semi-tone out of tune. It felt as though I had made the most terrible smell and Hayley Westenra wrinkled her nose up and glanced at me - that's what happens when a rock musician enters the classical music world!

*As spelt in the booklet. Lots of US spellings and now a UK spelling right when it wasn't appropriate.

--------------
IMHO
Profile PM WEB 
CJJC Offline

Posted: Aug. 21 2012, 13:11

That's everything. Thanks for the patience. I hope that this is interesting.

I have never heard the Bilbao version of MotS but - assuming that it wasn't later fixed in post production - I hope the explanation in this section explains any duff notes that may be present.

--------------
IMHO
Profile PM WEB 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Aug. 21 2012, 13:33

Thanks!
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Aug. 21 2012, 16:48

Thanks for all those CJJC!

Love his description of the bum note in the live MOTS - very funny :laugh:

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
CJJC Offline

Posted: Aug. 21 2012, 17:10

Because of the choice of writing all the liner notes in capitals and, later in the booklet, choosing to use a black font on a dark blue background, reading them on the site is easier than doing so in the booklet, even in the smaller typeface that quoting something creates.

--------------
IMHO
Profile PM WEB 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Aug. 22 2012, 00:31

Thank you!!!

http://tubular.net/articles/2012_08c/Two-Sides-Sleeve-Notes
http://tubular.net/ts
Profile PM 
stpaul Offline

Posted: Aug. 26 2012, 01:41

Can anybody tell about the included media link ? Is it worth buying this compilation ?
Profile PM 
CJJC Offline

Posted: Aug. 26 2012, 13:59

I was disappointed. Not least because it's not a link to a downloadable video but rather a 12 min streaming video (which you can only watch until the end of this year when the bonus offer ends). Literally all I remember about it is him claiming that Five Miles Out (after saying in the sleevenotes that there was about five versions) ran to about ten versions before the final one that we know. His suggestion that you could make an album out of the versions of Five Miles Out are the sort of thing that fans take entirely too seriously.

Maybe SOMEONE will find a way to rip the video and stick it up somewhere so that it can be retained for future fans.

--------------
IMHO
Profile PM WEB 
Nacho Offline

Posted: Aug. 27 2012, 19:40

you can download this video easily installing realvideo player!!
Profile PM 
CJJC Offline

Posted: Aug. 27 2012, 20:02

Let me rephrase - I was hoping that someone else might do that given that I can't quite be bothered and I typed out all the sleeve notes :)

--------------
IMHO
Profile PM WEB 
Burning Fish Offline

Posted: July 08 2015, 13:31

Better late than never, here's the bonus video! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWe5wgrmdHo

--------------
"Lemon curry?"
Profile PM WEB 
10 replies since Aug. 21 2012, 13:09 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net