Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The Tempest, Love, like, live with or loath?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: April 09 2008, 09:37

Tempest is a curious track for me. Ever since first hearing the album it is a track that I have not liked, to the point where I sometimes skip it. However it is clear that lots of other people here love this track, for many it seems to be a favorite of the whole album. I wondered for a while if it would grow on me and I would eventually "get it" but many many listens later my feelings are still the same.

The track for me sounds quite cacophonous, particularly the first half. Sometimes I like the Mike uses this sort of thing, for instance the challanging, painful section around 4 mins in of Amarok or the angry thunderstorm section of Hergest Ridge. In those pieces, the more painful-to-listen-to noises are followed by something wonderous and part of my enjoyment of the noise is feeling that it is a part of the whole and I have the anticipation of what is ahead

Tempest doesn't do this for me. It does quieten down in the second half to something a bit more enjoyable but for me there isn't any "something wonderous" that appears in the piece to complement the noises at the start.

So, do you like it? Any idea what it is I am missing in the track? Why do you like it?

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Gabo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 09 2008, 09:50

Noises? What noises?
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: April 09 2008, 10:19

I like it a lot; it's definitely my favourite track from the first half and possibly my favourite overall, even though, as I've said elsewhere, on the whole the second half is the stronger one to me. It's so good to hear Mike breaking out of the 4/4 rut. It reminds me a lot of Steve Reich, whose music I'm very fond of, and whose influence Mike put to such good use on Incantations and other early albums, but has been neglecting for a long time now. Certainly the most refreshing thing on MotS to my ears.
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: April 09 2008, 15:29

I hear what your saying Matt, on the first two listens I wasnt especially impressed... but I think the idea of the track, being the cacophonous sort that it may be, is to demonstrate a Tempest. I can imagine a star being formed - the various forces that go into the protoplanetary disc and the playing about that happens as we see them forming. I think, underneath the main string section, there is definately a sort of harmony which as you point out, is resonated in the second half of the track.

I also agree that at first for me, it did sort of stand out from the rest of the album as almost being out of place - but now that I have the associated mental imagery with the music I think it fits in well for me.

Perhaps thats what you need to do... maybe try listening to the track by itself without the rest of the album, and try and get it on its own - I know thats not really the way Oldfield stuff maybe should be appreciated, but it might help you to find your own way into the track.

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
Legend Offline

Posted: April 10 2008, 04:32

I must say I feel the same way about Tempest as you Matt. So far, to me, it´s just a filler - a bit like Mastermind from TMB. It hasn´t got the touching moods as the previous tracks, which I´m soooo attracted to.
Profile PM 
TheMann Offline

Posted: April 10 2008, 13:06

To me, clearly the strongest track on the 1st Movement. Complex, beutiful; the horns over the intensive strings + lovely guitar playing ...

I wish there were even more of it on this otherwise excellent work. Perhaps just before the final, the transition there isn't 100% perfect I think.
Profile PM 
ian Offline

Posted: April 10 2008, 13:53

I think it's one of the better moments of the album.
Profile PM WEB 
Harmono Offline

Posted: April 10 2008, 15:11

Well, what sounds cacophonic to some people can be wonderfully polyphonic/polyrhythmic to others, to me The Tempest is the latter.  Imo the energy is huge.  :)
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: April 10 2008, 21:57

I've always imagined in my mind a ship saling into the sea while I listen to this track,facing off a big tempest!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
kuraaka Offline

Posted: April 11 2008, 18:28

Well... it's simply the best track off the album. It does not sound cacophonous at all and the orhestration is rather brilliant. Behind all that buzzing (or is it the right word?) there is a melody that carries it all, even if it is not that obvious. Splendid. Wonderful.

And I love the beginning of Incantations.
Profile PM 
Hillbilly Offline

Posted: April 13 2008, 04:49

I agree with Matt, that "The tempest" is a bit "cacophonous" (correct spelling?). I haven't really got into the track. To me, it's the weakest piece of "Part One", although I never skip it because you need to hear the whole thing through.
Profile PM 
CuNimb Offline

Posted: April 13 2008, 15:11

I love it. Makes me think of planets whirling round with great energy on their various orbits.  :D

--------------
Happy? ha ha ha....
Profile PM 
Dave in Ledbury Offline

Posted: April 14 2008, 11:51

I love this particular track, it is one of the highlights of the album for me.  I think it is a very complex piece, and I imagine it must be difficult to play live.  However, I would really love to hear it played live  (along with the rest of the composition) :)

--------------
"Dave, I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill, and think things over...."
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: April 15 2008, 05:56

Some interesting thoughts. I've tried using imagery as suggested to enjoy the piece a bit more and it kinda works but still Tempest is not grabbing me the same way it clearly does for many of you. I note that nobody seems to think it is "rubbish" or poorly written/performed. Just some - like me - don't really like it. Some descriptions used by people I certainly agree with. For instance the word "refreshing" I can understand and "complex" is certainly true.

I guess it comes down to peoples particular likes and dislikes which is fine. I also think Hormono summed one aspect of Tempest up nicely with "what sounds cacophonic to some people can be wonderfully polyphonic/polyrhythmic to others".

Maybe as the years pass it'll grow on me more. In the meantime, I think at least I am starting to respect the piece, even if that doesn't mean I necessarily like it.

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Mattthew Offline

Posted: April 15 2008, 09:50

I really enjoy the track Matt, it provides some really special moments for me as I listen. As I am not a scholar of music and I really can't discern between a C and an F, but I am content to give audience to those who create music with passion... I could be considered musically/technically ignorant.

I think that because I listen without knowing all the ins and outs I am fortunate to be able to just feel it... (my objectivity doesn't get in the way and wreck the experience for me).

Relax and try not to think too much about it, just let it take you...

:)
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: April 15 2008, 17:43

Quote (Matt @ April 15 2008, 11:56)
Hormono

...I'm sure that's just a typo...now that I think about it, maybe it should be Hormone, my reddish beard seems to be growing faster every day.
Profile PM 
Romendacil Offline

Posted: May 07 2008, 16:56

Hi. New to this forum, but as a new fan of Mike, I thought I'd register and share my opinions.

And I also agree with those, who think this track is brilliant.
It stands out as unique, modern and original from the rest of this already amazing album. For one it gives a push to your imagination because of the texture of the music and the rapid moving. Second it has a musical prinsible in it. Atleast I think I hear it...

As there should be darkness, opposed with light in music, there also could be dissonance and chaos opposed to order and harmony. The effect is always powerful and thought evoking.

To truly understand this piece I suggest to listen carefully in 2.20.

It's genius!

The violins get even more chaotic and fast. And meanwhile, in the backround you can hear a reed playing the most harmonic, sensual and relaxing melody...
Chaos versus order. Dissonance versus harmony. It's so beautiful, makes my heart explode. That single melody. It's my favourite 3-4 seconds on the whole album.

And of course the finale with the horns simple, yet powerful melody, witch can be heard at the end of Musica Universalis too. The violins in the backround remain dynamic, but now you can sense a melody in their movements. I think this is the most powerful melody in the whole album.

Well... sorry for the long post. I think it wasn't completely pointless.

Cheers all! :)
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: May 20 2008, 18:28

Hey Romendacil - weclome aboard (Tolkien name there??).

Love the analysis, not too long for me, captures my feelings on the track perfectly.
Profile PM 
SoimSandheaver Offline

Posted: June 16 2008, 01:19

I think this is one of the tracks that kind of grew on me the more I listened to it. I do kinda like it now.

--------------
"Three blokes go into a pub, one of them's a little bit stupid, then the whole scene unfolds, with a tedious inevitability."
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: June 17 2008, 00:07

It's said that orchestral music, with its many instruments, represents the voice of the crowd, the masses, while chamber music, containing few instruments, is more personal in its vision. Mike's music tends to fall into the second category. I think this is why I don't care much for Music of the Spheres, even though  I generally only listen to "classical music".
Profile PM 
21 replies since April 09 2008, 09:37 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net