Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The TB Remix 2003 - What do you think about it?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: July 08 2002, 06:03

Someone will always find something wrong with it...take a group of fans and at least one, probably more, will be unhappy. It's also quite likely that half of them will prefer the stuff that was left off the album to what was actually released.
Profile PM 
tubularbills Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 08 2002, 13:21

Now here's a thought: there have already been some posts and opinions from people who are (to put it lightly) rather pissed off about this new project. thing is, will those pissy people still buy the album? i mean, if you're already having a pessimistic view about this new TB and you have it set in your mind that it's going to suck and that it's stupid and "not oldfield" or whatever your comments may be, are you still going to buy it? Why waste your money if you think it's going to suck?

--------------
Terrible, Wonderful, Crazy, Perfect.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: July 08 2002, 18:11

I'm sure there will be some who'll buy it and then have a really good whinge about how they wasted their money...
Profile PM 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: July 08 2002, 20:25

There'll be those who have been whingeing about it for quite a while now, and then buy just for the opportunity of "I told you so". People want to be, in their own mind, right, and what better way than by saying something's not going to happen, and then acting high and mighty when it doesn't?

I'm not the biggest fan of the idea of re-recording TB, but I'll buy it (probably) if it gets released out here just to see how Mike did it (assuming it gets finished and released, of course).
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: July 12 2002, 14:59

I'll no doubt buy it just like I've bought all the other various remastered quad mixed god knows what versions out there. I do however think he may get less of a critical slaughtering (which he will get) if he did something interesting and something we've all wanted for ages and that is include the original TB demos we know he has locked away somewhere. It could be a double cd with the new TB recording on one and the original demo's on the other so you could have a compare and contrast thing going on. I do think he needs someone to come up with an imaginative approach to his presentation of this because that best of TB cd was joke beyond words and it looks increasingly likely that Tre3s Lunas isn't going to grab anybody's attention (I hope to be wrong) here in the UK either. Sorry to be so negative but his profile here really does seem to be completely dissapearing and somebody surely has to do something about it.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: July 12 2002, 18:28

I don't think that including the demos would sweeten the critics at all. It may please some fans, but I get the feeling that the general reaction would be "Why the heck is he giving us this rubbish?" because, if you think that the final album, recorded on what was fairly state of the art technology, with the help of a pair of producers, sounds dated and sloppily played and recorded, think of what the demo recorded on a domestic tape recorder in Mike's bedroom sounds like...
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: July 12 2002, 19:05

Probebly very, very interesting and it would certainly be interesting to have the opposite ends of the spectrum as it were to compare and contrast and Mike has himself talked about releasing them at some point so this could be an oppertunity to release them in some form. The point I'm really trying to make at the end of the day is that some sort of imagination should be put into this release otherwise it really will go down the critical gutter. What shape or form that imagination takes is obviously open to further thought. I just don't want the slap dash approach that the best of TB was given. We can but hope.
Profile PM 
Speednik Offline

Posted: July 15 2002, 12:14

Yeah It's a great idea - and then him and Sally could remake the Sallyangie LP with samples, loops, rapping and the production skill of Nine Inch Nails and No Solid Crew.

Admittedly, I'm being sarcastic - I just don't think if Leonardo DaVinci were resurrected he'd say "I really wish I'd done a 3D rendered version of the Mona Lisa" and go sit at a Mac for three months..

The charm of Tubular Bells lies in its imperfections, its insecurities.

Why else was it so popular? It managed to speak to people without lyrics across many different languages purely by being so approachable, as opposed to the infallible production mthods of recent years where not even a hi-hat goes out of place.

Of course I'll buy the thing, because unlike many music lovers, I DO harbour the understanding I can be wrong:

I thought I'd hate Tubular Bells III - yet it's a fantastic piece of work, way up there in my top five.

I thought I'd love The Millennium Bell - but I didn't. Apart from The Doge's Palace and Lake Constance it's way down in my bottom three.

I wasn't sure what to make of Tr3sLunas - but I rather like it - although it would gain points if he went back and eradicated that synth saxophone - don't even replace it with anything, just kill the thing..

I digress. The point is - why remake perfection? Surely by his own admission he's attempting a project that could never live up to its dreams.

However, I admire him intensely for trying.

2003 - here's hoping.

Old tin box AT THE READY!!!

--------------
"Jean Michel Jarre is a fraud" - Bill Bailey
Profile PM 
Pugwash
Unregistered

Posted: Aug. 05 2002, 16:35

I look forward to all of Mike's work, and even the ones that at first I kinda think are odd I come to love.
If he wants to perform his most well known work again to make it better in his own eyes, good luck to him. I've often gone back to modify some of my own creations to tweak them with what I've learnt since they were made.
TheMan Offline

Posted: Aug. 21 2002, 05:47

Yes Speednik, just 'kill that thing'!

I think Mike spends all to much time focusing on Tubular Bells. But I will definitely buy the new record and give it a chance, and I am sure that there will be many interesting moments. I hope there will be some thematic differences and a lot of good guitar playing. I prefer any long instrumental work from Mike to those sloppy pieces on MB, or 'Daydream', 'Landfall', 'TresLunas' ...

But we who like his 'older style' (what does that mean? ) are perhaps not going to be entirely happy after all. To me, the reason is simple:

I want to hear NEW material instead of those old themes from TB. How many times didn't we hear it now? 10.000 times? TB, The Orchestral TB, Exposed and other live performencies, TBII, and, well, TBIII (although it kind of differs a lot).

This is enough Mike. Now please do new stuff. If you need to promote it as Tubular Bells 4, well go ahead. No problem with me, if the composition is ambitios.

The music press won't hear the difference if you fill the entire record with completely unrelated material; they hate you and your music anyway. The fans will love you for this, they will understand that you have to call the album TB4 to get attention.

Please Mike, give us some longer instrumentals in the near future!!!!!!!!!!!!! We need it!!!!!!!!

My advise to Mike is: record a new Amarok/TSODE/Incantations, with material completely unrelated to TB. Then put some piano arpegios on the first 3 minuties, put a bell somewhere after say 50 minuties, put a bell on the cover and call it Tubular Bells 4. And Mike, don't forget to put A LOT of effort in the arrangments and the playing (like you did on the albumns just mentioned). (i.e., no cheating like sampling the drums from Moonlight Shadow or Amarok (ManInTheRain/MB), not to much programming, no fading-aways, use transitions between parts, develop the themes)

(By the way, Mike; don't you have enough money soon? Do you really have to get commercial success with each album? Can't you forget about that just one more time, and just focus on the music?)

TheMan
Profile PM 
Ranger Offline

Posted: Sep. 11 2002, 06:19

I can't wait for TB in the 2003 version, it's going to be one of the biggest music events!
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 11 2002, 11:28

i dont think it will be the 'biggest' musical event. it could very well have been, but i somehow dont see it happening because of his latest work. (he said MB was gonna be the greatest and still thinks that and its obviously not). but it will be big nevertheless and i am looking forward to it...

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
Ken
Unregistered

Posted: Sep. 16 2002, 09:26

@korgscrew - there's little or no link between commercial success and what the music press report. You only have to look at the commercial success of TB1 versus its scathing review in Melody Maker. Fact is, the music press are so far removed from the everyday reality of why the average person buys music that their insular views amount to nothing more than irrelevant esoteric blather.

TB1 and all its subsequent incarnations are what keep MO in shoe-leather. It's not surprising he wants to record a new version (though I'd persoanlly rather it were TBIV than a re-recording of an existing one). I'm not sure why he's doing it now (30 years seems an arbitrary jubileum) so perhaps he just needs the cash to offset the small personal fortune he sunk into the Tres Lunas project?

Whatever the reason, I'm looking forward to it. The original TB1 is still one of my favourite works.

Ken
Wanderer Offline

Posted: Sep. 16 2002, 13:24

I think that it would be best if Mike released this as a double CD live album - like "Exposed". The first disc can have the rearranged version of "Tubular Bells" with Cleese, bagpipers, orchestra et al making "special guest appearances"...

the second disc can be a set of "greatest hits"...

Perhaps some of his more guitar heavy pieces like "Platinum" and "Cochise"...maybe some of his less frequently performed pieces, excerpts from "Amarok" or "Incantations"? Now THAT would be worth buying and probably earn less critical wrath...
Profile PM 
Melomaniac
Unregistered

Posted: Sep. 25 2002, 15:12

I totally agree with the man. I´m a hard die fan, I will purchase re-recorded TB the same day it´s released. Moreover, I would think it´s a good idea if Mike hadn´t recorded anything related to TB for the last 29 years... but this is not like this. Is everybody forgetting that the original TB is the one aclaimed by public a critics? Is everybody forgetting that this is the album which makes a name for Mike?
So, who needs another Tb album? Will it replace the original one in your top? It´s going to sound better, so what? Don´t you like the sound of the original? And what is worse, the idea of Mikes re-recording the rest of his albums. I don´t understand a word, all of this would mean that definitively Mike is finished as a musician. On the other hand, everybody assumes that Mike wants to re-record TB because he´s not happy with the result of the original one. I don´t want to seem unpopular among the rest of the fans, but has anybody realised that, for the last years, whenever Mike signs a new recording contract we have a "new" TB recording? Have the record companies and their commercial interest nothing to do  with that? Please Mike, come back with real new a good music, long instrumentals with good guitar playing, a superb development of fantastic melodies: the real and the best MIke Oldfield, the one whose music I am in love with.
34 replies since May 29 2002, 19:28 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net