Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The TB Remix 2003 - What do you think about it?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 29 2002, 19:28

Since Mike is going to re-record Tubular Bells,what do you think about it?
Mike says there are a lot of things he wanna do that he couldn´t do way back in '72.

I think the original TB is so beautiful...it´s so special,the way the music was created...why remaking a major classic?
I don´t think it´s going to be a nice thing to do...but...let´s see the result!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
dgcaer Offline

Posted: May 30 2002, 10:07

Well, we can't expect bad thing from Mike Oldfield. If he want to do that, he will surely make the best he can.

I'm very positive about that. TB1 will be the same with a better recording + orchestra instead of organ. Don't you think that organ sound old ?

Very positive.
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: May 30 2002, 12:02

I'd say that commercially, it may not be the best move - the music press already have this impression that Mike Oldfield doesn't do anything apart from Tubular Bells, and another Tubular Bells isn't exactly going to help...

I don't think he's thinking of it from that point of view, though. He just wants to do it again because he's not happy with the original (he also said at one point that he now knows that Tubular Bells is his best work, and he'll never do anything better...make of that what you will...).

I'm not sure it'll be quite as simple as the new one being 'the same but better' - I think there are a lot of things in Tubular Bells (like the slightly odd sounds and the wavering timing of some sections) that give it character. There's also amazing agression in some of the guitar passages that I don't think could necessarily be recreated. I also think the organs are one of things that make it sound unique - the opening, for example, wouldn't sound the same without them.

I think, though, that his end result will probably be good, but in a different way to the original - perhaps a chance for Mike to highlight aspects of the work which weren't so noticable the first time.

I'd be wary of discarding and replacing things just because they seem old, though. That mistake has been made too often in the past...
Profile PM 
oblique Offline

Posted: May 30 2002, 14:34

At home I've got two CD's of Chopin's first and second piano concerts. The first CD by the Polish Radio National Symphony-orcestra. The second by the London Symphony Orchestra.

In the classical world it's normal that pieces are performed not only by different artists but also by the same ones on different occasion.

So why is it so strange that whenever an artist is not satisfied with his performance he is entitled to do another version?
Even if everyone likes the first one?

Don't be ashamed if it turns out you like the second recording as well.

And who knows in 30 years there'll be a third one (by then Mike will be 80 so brake it to him gently) :-)

--------------
"While we are alive we should sit among colored lights and taste good wines, and discuss our adventures in far places; when we are dead, the opportunity is past." - Jack Vance
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: May 31 2002, 05:27

Tubular Bells is an excelent album, but there are some bits where it just sounds incomplete. Mabye some drums would be good. Have any of you heard the Tubular Bells bit at the Berlin 2000 concert. If the album sounds like that, I will be very happy. I'm very excited about this re-recording. I can understand Mike's frustration about his most-known album being the one that is really badly produced. Well, at least it shoud satisfy everyone who says he should get back to his old style!

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
dgcaer Offline

Posted: May 31 2002, 07:29

Not only Tubular Bells is badly recorded, but Hergest Ridge too. It's one of the factor because HR was not so sucessful. He has too much pression at this time. He should maybe remake Hergest Ridge too !!!

I Hope he will remake HR or make a HR 2. This is a so underrated album. It's fabulous, but badly recorded.
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: May 31 2002, 18:39

Unfortunately for you, as far as I know, Mike doesn't think of Hergest Ridge in the same way as he thinks of Tubular Bells, so I'd think it quite unlikely that he'll revisit the album either to create a follow up or to re-record it.
The current plan is, as it seems, to re-record Tubular Bells and nothing more. I suppose he could use the next 10-15 years or so re-recording his entire back catalogue, then when he's finished, the first ones will sound out of date and he can go back and record them again...like painting the Forth Bridge (or counting Stevie Wonder's keyboards) wink

(as a side note for those wondering, the Forth Bridge is one in Scotland that tales so long to paint that, by the time they've got to the end, it's time to go back and start painting the other end...)
Profile PM 
oblique Offline

Posted: June 02 2002, 04:28

Aberrrrrdeen,laddy
We have travelled...

(edited 06-06-2002:
of course it's Edinburgh but no-one seems to have noticed this?)

--------------
"While we are alive we should sit among colored lights and taste good wines, and discuss our adventures in far places; when we are dead, the opportunity is past." - Jack Vance
Profile PM 
tubularbills Offline

Posted: June 02 2002, 12:08

I can't wait for the new version. i think it will sound better and clearer. today's music studios are by far well more advanced than they were back in the seventies (even late 70s). So i think it will sound a lot more professional and perhaps even newer. I'm not sure if he's going to change the melody or the notes drastically (i kind of hope not), i will be dissappointed i must say if he changes [b] that [:b] theme. you all know what i'm talking about.

so intstrumentaly i think it'll be a better version, but if he goes in and changes the whole song, i'll be a little p'd off smile

--------------
Terrible, Wonderful, Crazy, Perfect.
Profile PM 
sgraham33 Offline

Posted: June 04 2002, 13:02

I completely understand the desire to "fix" something that you were never completely happy with, but I think it's often a mistake. Part of (the original) Tubular Bell's charm lies in the quirks, at least some of which came about through the imperfections of the original recording sessions. Lose that and you get something more technically correct but without the soul of the original.
Profile PM WEB 
dgcaer Offline

Posted: June 05 2002, 12:32

I know that he would not remake Hergest Ridge. It's only a dream (or suggestion).
Everybody dream. It's important.
It's just deceiving that this beautiful album was not so sucessful.
Maybe we should dream. He surprised us, with his idea to remake TB. I don't think that Mike will make a mistake with is remake. He would just be more "happy".
Profile PM WEB 
mirwais57 Offline

Posted: June 08 2002, 02:41

i think that it would just sound cleaner, mabye with less distortion. Also, he would be able to record it with a lot more tracks so every instrument would have a seperate track. i don't know if the orginal TB had this but if it doesn't then it will sound better with it.

--------------
http://www.mp3.com/57_13/
http://www.angelfire.com/electronic2/57_ttpo_13/

NB: Avatar = Mirwais himself.
Profile PM WEB 
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: June 08 2002, 14:17

I agree that if it sounds closer to the Millennium concert version, then it will be awesome - and I also feel that the vindictive, ignorant music press can't say anything about him that they haven't already, so don't worry about that. I think it will be very interesting to find out how Mike goes about recording the album - will he return to the ways of old of layering instrument by instrument instead of computerised simulations, and if so will returning to the long-instrumental format inspire him to record some new pieces in this style? I know much has been said that 'Mike is always changing, he shouldn't have to be how he was' but I am sure that just one more long-scale instrumental album wouldn't hurt? we can but dream!

Oliver

--------------
Hergest Ridge 165 - Ommadawn 038 - Incantations 243
Profile PM WEB 
theweightless Offline

Posted: June 08 2002, 18:26

i hope it sounds so different from the original that it could be named TB IV.

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: June 08 2002, 18:46

I hear that the plan is to play it all by hand...that was the original plan with Tubular Bells II, though wink

I'm sure that recreating Tubular Bells will inspire Mike in some way. His experiments with Tubular Bells in the late 80s led to Amarok...
Profile PM 
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: June 08 2002, 18:46

actually 'theweightless', thats an interesting thought. if mike conceives of this album as both a re-recording of the original, AND also a sequel to end the series, then it would give the whole thing a 'circle' feel - the end is just the beginning as it were, the snake eating its own tail, and it would also symbolise the lasting appeal of Mike's music through the years...

Oliver

--------------
Hergest Ridge 165 - Ommadawn 038 - Incantations 243
Profile PM WEB 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: June 23 2002, 07:34

what i want to know is will Tom Newman be back as producer?
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: June 30 2002, 18:56

:;): Everybody knows that Mike himself doesn´t like the way that TB was recorded and its final result,in terms of quality.
This new version,IMO, means a lot to him...tecnhology has improved a lot since '72 and now he can record TB the way he WANTED WAY BACK THAT TIME. We can expect to see him saying that the new version will be the definitive version of this masterpiece.
Of course there are many people who is not going to be happy ,saying 'another damn Bells album'. Think about the 30th anniversary thingie, and if it is like him releasing a TB version for the 21st century, or a live version of it.
I´ve had the chance to hear some TB versions around,and some things I´ve heard would be great to hear on the new version.I like the orchestra in the Exposed version,especially on the TB Part 1.
I remember Alan Parsons(the sound engineer for Dark Side of the Moon from Pink Floyd) saying that when he did a remix of his first album with his band,The Alan Parsons Project,he loved the remix than the original...and I´m sure Mike is going to say something like that too next year! :p

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: July 01 2002, 23:57

i agree.....ppl say that they like all the things about the old album like the out of time stuff and the strange sounds in different places...but....we werent meant to...wouldnt you rather look forward to the way Tubular Bells was originally meant to be received than the crummy (in MO's eyes) original version? (im not sayin the first one sux im just sayin that i wanna see Mike's REAL vision of TB)

thats my 2 cents...

also.....i wonder if there will be two 20 minute tracks or several blending tracks like TB2? i personally would prefer the TB2 style. if they are 2 different tracks maybe ill make a cdr with blending tracks. :)

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: July 08 2002, 03:44

One thing this should do is satisfy all those people who are constantly wanting Mike to go back to 'the old style'. Well, now he is going back to his oldest album! This should at least make those people happy, but I have a feeling they will find something wrong with it...
Profile PM 
34 replies since May 29 2002, 19:28 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net