Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The Story of RTO, My Interpretation< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
nightspore Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 05 2018, 02:10

The more I listen to RTO the more convinced I am that it is telling a clear and distinct story (and that the story is similar to that in the original Ommadawn but with more intense emotion). To take one example from Part 1, early on there's a sudden angry burst of guitar sound, followed, at 6'16", by a deep chuckle (it sounds like huh-huh-huh. huh-huh-huh). It's as though someone has been caught doing something.  Not long after that there begins a passage of beautiful melody signifying infinite yearning, infinite loss - as though some kind of retribution is about to be made, and as though goodbyes are being said anticipating separations of vast reaches of space and time. And then the ominous chant...
Profile PM 
qcfoetus Offline

Posted: May 19 2018, 18:21

The more I listen to this lovely piece of music, the more I sense that its underlying story is not just one of homecoming, but also one of reaching one's final resting place. As much as it would be great to have new material in the years to come, I wouldn't be surprised if RTO turned out to be Mike's last opus.
Profile PM 
tarquincat Offline

Posted: May 21 2018, 05:06

Quote (qcfoetus @ May 19 2018, 18:21)
The more I listen to this lovely piece of music, the more I sense that its underlying story is not just one of homecoming, but also one of reaching one's final resting place. As much as it would be great to have new material in the years to come, I wouldn't be surprised if RTO turned out to be Mike's last opus.

That''s a good point !

Although Mike is relatively young, he is quite old in "Rock n Roll" years, if you consider the number of albums he's done, the number of wives/kids, the tours, living in several countries, started early, so has been in the business for the best part of 50 years going back to Sallyangie & Kevin Ayres.

BUT I STILL WANY MORE !!!!!!!!!!

FEED ME
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: May 21 2018, 09:34

To me some of the most interesting parts of RTO are the three guitar 'outbursts'
starting at 6'06". They sound like dialogue, and it's amusing to try to fit words to them (please see my earlier 'interpretation' of the 'story' of RTO):

1. At 6.06 "What are you doing to me!!"
2. At 6.22 (Second, angrier voice) "What the f### are you doing in here??"
3. At 6.28 (Same angry voice) "Did you know of this [2 syllable name]??"
Profile PM 
Happy? Offline

Posted: April 07 2022, 02:51

The Big Tune section sounds to me as a lament to his passed son. Infinite yearning and infinite loss, as nightspore puts it. The wailing guitar, the powerful minor melody... I can vividly imagine Mike crying at the grave of his son. The loss, but also the memories they shared, since the melody is not only sad but hopeful as well.

--------------
I'd rather be... happy?
Profile PM 
4 replies since Feb. 05 2018, 02:10 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net