Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The Star's Light + Shade review< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
DarkFeline Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 31 2005, 23:55

Yep, it's The Star again. This review appeared on Jan. 1, 2006. :) Either the article's not available online or it just hasn't been put up yet, so I'm typing this straight from the newspaper. SRS means Star Review Scale, from 0 to 100.

I'VE always viewed Mike Oldfield as an absolute genius who seems to have been stuck in a rut for the longest time. I mean, how much more of the same stuff can we take? It's a wonder how he seems to be able to produce an endless amount of it ... Light + Shade takes up two CDs for crying out loud!

As always Oldfield handles almost everything, from performing to production. And except for guitars and keyboards, Oldfield has opted to create all other instrumentation using cutting edge software synthesis. Some of the songs have an interesting texture thanks to the powerful toys he has at his disposal.

What really should count, though, are the songs and sadly they just don't cut it. There really are no memorable songs, which is a shocking thing to have to say about a double album.

There is nothing in fact that offers a hit of what this guy us really capable of. Tears of an Angel and Ringscape are probably the only songs worth adding to your collection. Yes, just these two, and then you can put the CD away.

By the way, a cute little program called U-MYX is included on the CD. Pop it into your computer and you get to create your own mixes of songs from Light + Shade. Quite fun with this one, maybe you can come up with a better arrangement. - HARDESH SINGH (SRS: 20)

[Edit]: The review is now online!

--------------
Who's your mummy, where she go?
Profile PM WEB 
Cinos Offline

Posted: Jan. 10 2006, 17:00

He just can't accept the album for what it is. What about Our Father, Quicksilver, Angelic? Aren't those memorable?  :p
Profile PM 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Jan. 11 2006, 11:55

Not to someone who isn't interested in Mike's music.

The review is a little harsh, but he's right that Mike is an absolute genius ;)

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Aug. 26 2007, 00:58

I do wonder if this Hardesh Singh is a professional critic, but as I'm unfamiliar with The Star, I have no idea if this example is indicative of its standards. Singh apparently gave Light + Shade 20 out of 100 (though I didn't see this rating given on the webpage?) and claimed "There really are no memorable songs". I certainly disagree with his assessment, but besides that, I found the review quite poor in content and presentation. For one thing, he contradicted himself by later stating there are two worthwhile songs. I also dock him points for his bland writing style. My rating...

Light + Shade = 75/100

Hardesh Singh's Review = 25/100

(Objectively speaking. Subjectively... add ten points to the first and subtract ten from the second.)

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
onion Offline

Posted: Aug. 26 2007, 02:15

Quote (Sweetpea @ Aug. 26 2007, 06:58)
My rating...

Light + Shade = 75/100

Hardesh Singh's Review = 25/100

(Objectively speaking. Subjectively... add ten points to the first and subtract ten from the second.)

Dear Sweetpea,

You forgot a comma (and a 0)  :D  

I don't know about the reviewer nor the newspapers quality, but I´m pretty sure the rating should be:
Light = 7,5/100
and
Shade = 0,75/100   ;)

I have never heard a crappier album than L&S before, from an established artist and I´m pretty sure I never will again.
Light & Shade is one of those rare freak accidents,- like when you drive in your car with your head out of the window and you smash your head together with another asshole who had the same lame idea of driving in the opposite lane, with the head outside the car window   :laugh:  :p

Whatever Mike Oldfield works on and comes up with next, (even strangling a cat in front of the microphone)  can only be so much better than L&S..

Sorry..   I´ll try to behave the rest of the day  :)

Mike

--------------
Are soft boiled eggs supposed to make a crunchy noise when you eat them?
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Aug. 26 2007, 13:43

Quote (onion @ Aug. 26 2007, 08:15)
I have never heard a crappier album than L&S before, from an established artist and I´m pretty sure I never will again.

Dear Onion,

Please don't take it as an offense at all :), but reading your intense outflings against it, I have a vague feeling that you really *like* L+S in the back of your mind, you just don't confess it to yourself. You write and care so much about it. :) Or at least, I feel you have bigger chance to get into it than people who don't care about it at all. OK, I confess I speak from experience, I had the same "hatred" against 'Blue' by Eiffel 65 and 'Satisfaction' by Benny Benassi, and I really liked 'Blue' from start. :) Perhaps, love and hate aren't that far from each other than love and uninterest. But you all are free to give examples for the opposite.

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
onion Offline

Posted: Aug. 26 2007, 14:36

Quote (EeToN @ Aug. 26 2007, 19:43)
Quote (onion @ Aug. 26 2007, 08:15)

Dear Onion,

Please don't take it as an offense at all :), but reading your intense outflings against it, I have a vague feeling that you really *like* L+S in the back of your mind, you just don't confess it to yourself. You write and care so much about it. :) Or at least, I feel you have bigger chance to get into it than people who don't care about it at all. OK, I confess I speak from experience, I had the same "hatred" against 'Blue' by Eiffel 65 and 'Satisfaction' by Benny Benassi, and I really liked 'Blue' from start. :) Perhaps, love and hate aren't that far from each other than love and uninterest. But you all are free to give examples for the opposite.

I´m sorry Eeton, it´s ALL HATE   :D   there is not a shred of love towards this album.... samples from tres lunas/game are re-used and the dance/trance rhythm shit could any moron make by just turning on a switch in a music software program from the computer and "select sample to loop"   (SIGH)..
The voices are synth and it seems to me, that there is only 2 % real instrument playing by MO.

If you´re a young and not rutined (spelling?) musician, you are "allowed" to make "mainstream pop/dance/trance synthetic "music"  like anybody else... but for MO to make this, sucks!
The album stinks of no effort, low-budget and hurry.

So Eeton, to make it crystal clear...if I had the choice between listening to L&S a whole weekend or cut my leg off with a dull spoon, I´d take the spoon!      :D

Mike

--------------
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Aug. 26 2007, 14:48

Quote (onion @ Aug. 26 2007, 02:15)
Light & Shade is one of those rare freak accidents,- like when you drive in your car with your head out of the window and you smash your head together with another asshole who had the same lame idea of driving in the opposite lane, with the head outside the car window

:O  I hope that wasn't from personal experience.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Aug. 26 2007, 15:18

Quote (onion @ Aug. 26 2007, 19:36)
the dance/trance rhythm shit could any moron make by just turning on a switch in a music software program from the computer and "select sample to loop"

It's a dangerous thing to speak on someone else's behalf, but I'm pretty sure I'm remembering correctly how Korgscrew has usually responded to this kind of comment. He usually observes how often this kind of thing is said, and then points out how very curious it is that these supposed morons actually never do seem to produce anything to support the idea. It's always seemed to me to be a very balanced, wise, and accurate response.

As someone who began by being very disappointed in Light and Shade but who, after giving it patience and time, has found quite a lot to enjoy in it, I should be extremely interested to hear more of this kind of music that morons can turn out at the click of a switch. If it's so easy (and I suppose there's no shortage of morons), I presume there are any number of albums already out there that are at least as melodically attractive and technically proficient as Light and Shade. Can someone please point me towards some of them? It sounds like a treat awaits me.
Profile PM 
onion Offline

Posted: Aug. 26 2007, 16:10

Quote (Alan D @ Aug. 26 2007, 21:18)
the dance/trance rhythm shit could any moron make by just turning on a switch in a music software program from the computer and "select sample to loop"

It's a dangerous thing to speak on someone else's behalf, but I'm pretty sure I'm remembering correctly how Korgscrew has usually responded to this kind of comment. He usually observes how often this kind of thing is said, and then points out how very curious it is that these supposed morons actually never do seem to produce anything to support the idea. It's always seemed to me to be a very balanced, wise, and accurate response.

As someone who began by being very disappointed in Light and Shade but who, after giving it patience and time, has found quite a lot to enjoy in it, I should be extremely interested to hear more of this kind of music that morons can turn out at the click of a switch. If it's so easy (and I suppose there's no shortage of morons), I presume there are any number of albums already out there that are at least as melodically attractive and technically proficient as Light and Shade. Can someone please point me towards some of them? It sounds like a treat awaits me.

Yes dear, right away...

try google for Paris Hilton latest and greatest album/song whatever she made.....there is a 100 % moron for you....she is even so lame that she probably got some sort of a technician to switch the knobs in the computer program for her so that "music" came out of the speakers..  ;)
if else  try  .. N´sync, britney spears, take that, spice girls, and especially the danish moron group "Aqua" and their crappy "I´m a barbie girl" ...morons ...all of them  :D      I could actually name several others...but I´m not up to speed in current machine music, because I´d stopped listening to the radio long time ago....there just isn´t been made quality music anymore   :/

Sorry for ranting..  :p

Mike

--------------
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Aug. 26 2007, 20:54

Quote (onion @ Aug. 27 2007, 05:10)
there just isn´t been made quality music anymore  

Sorry, but that's 5000% not true. I can think of at least half a dozen artists, who are still releasing albums, who I would unquestioningly buy their next album. Nick Cave, John Butler Trio, Moby, Muse, Sigur Ros, The Whitlams and of course Mike. Much of my favourite music has been created by these artists in the past ten years. You shouldn't dismiss all modern music based on one particular genre, even if that genre seems to be the dominant one of the time. I'm sure if you look back throughout history there has always been music around that you just hate, and I'm sure there has always been music around that you love.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
onion Offline

Posted: Aug. 27 2007, 05:16

Quote (raven4x4x @ Aug. 27 2007, 02:54)
Quote (onion @ Aug. 27 2007, 05:10)
there just isn´t been made quality music anymore  

Sorry, but that's 5000% not true. I can think of at least half a dozen artists, who are still releasing albums, who I would unquestioningly buy their next album. Nick Cave, John Butler Trio, Moby, Muse, Sigur Ros, The Whitlams and of course Mike. Much of my favourite music has been created by these artists in the past ten years. You shouldn't dismiss all modern music based on one particular genre, even if that genre seems to be the dominant one of the time. I'm sure if you look back throughout history there has always been music around that you just hate, and I'm sure there has always been music around that you love.

That might be true... but I only started to hate music when the first boy/girl bands arrived at the scene..
I must admit that I´m stuck in the 80´ and the 90´ and my clock stopped ticking New Years Eve 1999/2000

***I guess it make me a moron too***   :laugh:

Mike

--------------
Profile PM 
Sonilink Offline

Posted: Aug. 27 2007, 06:38

The two discs are really differants  :/

--------------
Take the Time
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Aug. 27 2007, 08:54

Quote (onion @ Aug. 27 2007, 10:16)
That might be true... but I only started to hate music when the first boy/girl bands arrived at the scene..
I must admit that I´m stuck in the 80´ and the 90´ and my clock stopped ticking New Years Eve 1999/2000

"when the first boy/girl bands arrived..."??? I thought they had been around since pop music was invented, for instance
these chaps.
While I don't listen to much new music these days (except Amy Macdonald who is fab :) ) I do agree that there is good stuff and new real talent out there to be discovered, just don't expect to find it in the charts very often. Onion I think you might be missing out on music you might love by assuming there isn't any out there anymore!

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Aug. 27 2007, 10:06

:/

If Mike is stuck in a rut, then surely some Mike fans are stuck in an even stickier one. It's simply not true that quality music isn't being made any more, and it's not even true that it doesn't reach the charts. I usually rattle off a long list of artists on these occasions, but I'm getting tired of it, so I'll just name two examples: Muse and Arcade Fire.
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Aug. 27 2007, 10:52

Holger, maybe it is just the case that I personally don't like most current chart music rather than that it lacks talent in which case I withdraw my comment. I was just trying to note that I don't find much in the way of inspiration generally from UK chart music whereas I appreciate there is a lot of good stuff being produced that doesn't hit the charts.

I just had a wee look at a full list of UK No. 1 singles from 1960 to present day. Could just be my fuddy-duddy taste in music but it does look a kinda depressingly uninspiring and unmemorable list as the 90's kick in onwards...

This is getting way off topic. Anyone want to start a thread in "other musicans" or has this already run its course.

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Aug. 27 2007, 12:24

Ah, sorry Matt, that comment was more of a reaction to what Onion said. You at least acknowledge that there is good music produced by talented artists these days. Whether or not it's up your alley is a different matter altogether. For example, I reckon few people on this board like Tool, but if that isn't talent and quality, then I don't know what is or ever has been.
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Aug. 27 2007, 13:57

Quote (Alan D @ Aug. 26 2007, 15:18)

I think using the word 'moron' in this context is unhelpfully derogatory but  I don't agree with the argument that if you can't or haven't done something yourself then you shouldn't criticise others who have, in an artistic sense. Though you do need to be constructive about it, have a bit of understanding and be reasonable.  The fact of the matter is modern technology has made it very, very easy to make music (and for that matter other art) badly and blandly. You only have to turn Radio One on during the day to hear it. The point for me anyway is that Light and Shade proves what happens when the method of making music over takes by quite a long way the actual content of the music itself. For me L+S does contain some nice tunes but it also contains some of the worst music Mike has ever put his name to. Its difficult for me and no doubt others to swallow tracks like Lakme or Romance from someone like Mike who once let us not forget positively loathed music like that. What would the Mike of 1990 think of the 2005 Mike who made Romance? I'm not saying artists shouldn't change, evolve and try new things but for goodness sake have some sort of consistent principle underlying what you do.

People can and do make great music with modern technology but L+S  missed the target for me by quite along way.
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Aug. 27 2007, 14:19

Quote (TOBY @ Aug. 27 2007, 19:57)
The fact of the matter is modern technology has made it very, very easy to make music (and for that matter other art) badly and blandly. You only have to turn Radio One on during the day to hear it.

It's still not nearly as easy as many seem to think to take it to a level of professionalism that would get it on Radio One.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Aug. 27 2007, 14:45

Quote (TOBY @ Aug. 27 2007, 18:57)
I think using the word 'moron' in this context is unhelpfully derogatory but  I don't agree with the argument that if you can't or haven't done something yourself then you shouldn't criticise others who have, in an artistic sense.

I don't think it will surprise you to find that I agree with most of what you say, Toby. To say that Light and Shade is a disappointing album from someone of Mike Oldfield's stature is a very reasonable statement and one that I can readily understand, because I think it myself. (That doesn't stop both of us finding things on it that we enjoy, as we've noted in the past.)

But to say that a moron could do it is absurd (albeit colourful in an unpleasant kind of way), and prompts me to invite those who think that way to step forward and let us hear what they can do (since what is being contended should mean they're adequately qualified for the job). I think that's a reasonable response - and we know perfectly well what the outcome would be.
Profile PM 
37 replies since Dec. 31 2005, 23:55 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net