Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The Space Movie at the NFT< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: July 19 2009, 14:44

The National Film Theatre on London's South Bank will be showing The Space Movie (which includes otherwise unreleased music by Mike Oldfield) on the 28th and 29th of July.

Tickets are £6.40 for the 28th (18:20 in the smaller NFT 3) and £9.00 for the 29th (17:50 in NFT 1).

Many thanks, Bob Smith
Profile PM 
Ratty Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 20 2009, 04:27

Hi Korgy. Has there ever been a soundtrack album / cd for the space movie? I'd love that cd up there amongst my MO collection.

--------------
Far away across the field
The tolling of the iron bell
Calls the faithful to their knees
To hear the softly spoken magic spells
Profile PM 
^NabLa^ Offline

Posted: July 20 2009, 05:30

Bollox, it had to be on a weekday :/

--------------
^NabLa^
Profile PM WEB 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: July 20 2009, 07:39

Quote (Ratty @ July 20 2009, 10:27)
Hi Korgy. Has there ever been a soundtrack album / cd for the space movie? I'd love that cd up there amongst my MO collection.

Hi Ratty,

Unfortunately, a soundtrack album from the Space Movie doesn't excist. However, I once saw a test pressing which was owned by Phil Newell (I think). The music from the Space Movie is mostly from Hergest Ridge, Ommadawn and Incantations, with some unreleased demos also from Incantations.

Too bad I don't live in London. Would have loved to see that screening.

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: July 20 2009, 08:34

Or you could sit back,turn down the lights and stick it in your DVD player!
:laugh:

there's some really interesting bits of the orchestral version of HR in there too.I don't really think it would work as a soundtrack taken out of context of the film itself though.Aside from the bits of an early version of Incatations and the aforementioned bits of OHR it's nothing that anyone here won't have and the editing jumps all over the place.Works nicely with the film but would suck on its own IMO.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: July 20 2009, 14:29

Oh yes, that's true! Forgot the Orchestral Hergest Ridge parts, thanks Caveman!

I listened to the whole of OHR recently and it's very good. :) Maybe something they should add with the new re-release for HR!!!

--------------

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: July 20 2009, 18:37

As mentioned above - we have Space Movie on dvd, so my only reasons for going would be if-

a) they have a kick ass sound system in the NFT

b) there were a few freindly Oldfield fans to share a post show pint of guiness with

Anyone else planning on going? I'm currently in negotiations with the wife for a late night pass  :p

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: July 21 2009, 03:58

Lol.If i had transport i'd be there.

--------------
Profile PM 
ingresman Offline

Posted: July 21 2009, 07:30

I'm sure the international people on the board will feel the same as me here....
But why can't these exhibitions be sent aroundthe country, e.g. Manchester, Birmingham, Leeds, Newcastle, Glasgow etc.
This country is too London Centric.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: July 21 2009, 09:17

Agree entirely.England is far more than London (although looking at the tourist trade and some peopl'es view of us as a country you'd never know).Although i only live in North Oxfordshire about 60 miles North West of London it may as well the other side of the world without transport.I could take the train but there's no chance of a train back late enough.
 Besides which i really don't like London.Too many people.
If these things could be taken to Birmingham or better still Oxford it would be much less of a problem.
 So for me it will be on the DVD only.Shame.

--------------
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: July 21 2009, 18:55

Well, Mr Caveman - I lived in devon for 20 odd years at that is pretty much the pits for any shows. no one ever came there. But then the Eden project started getting a few bands, and the big cow shed at exeter (westpoint) started getting a few too.

So there's hope for oxford too!

now I'm in bedford, so London is an hour away, I intend to make the most of it. London centric is good for me these days!

--------------
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: July 22 2009, 09:26

Ah you said you lived in Exeter.Right in the arse end of nowhere (as you know i have family links there-it's Fear Family HQ).Never been to Westpoint but i have heard there's been a few good bands there so maybe you're right about Oxford.Did you ever get down to the Cavern club in Exeter?Now that's small! :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: July 23 2009, 17:42

Cavern Club? great place for a Caveman!

But-  yes, reach out and touch both walls. Incredibly sweaty too.

--------------
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: July 23 2009, 20:48

Quote (The Caveman @ July 21 2009, 09:17)
Agree entirely.England is far more than London (although looking at the tourist trade and some peopl'es view of us as a country you'd never know).Although i only live in North Oxfordshire about 60 miles North West of London it may as well the other side of the world without transport.I could take the train but there's no chance of a train back late enough.
 Besides which i really don't like London.Too many people.
If these things could be taken to Birmingham or better still Oxford it would be much less of a problem.
 So for me it will be on the DVD only.Shame.

Oh well, hope some folks get to it! We have that challenge, here, too, re: the larger cities. Illinois is very Chicago-centric; New York State is very New York City-centric. I am co-planning a conference for next June to be held here in the Ithaca area, and initially the NYC/Long Island folks expressed concern.  You'd think that no roads lead here, though we have an airport with direct flights from NYC and bus transportation. We just have to be sure to highlight the availability of transportation on the publicity. Although I drove out of London to Buxton to Kington to Hay-on-Wye (via 2 hours lost in the mountains) to Bath to Glastonbury to Stonehenge to Avebury and then on to the airport, never made it to Oxford. You'd think there would be lots going on there--sounds a bit like Ithaca, actually.

The UK is so gorgeous--hope to be back in Sept for more adventures and a hike up something sort of green. (-:  I love London, though I am a small-town person at heart. Love the museums, parks, history. If I had to be in a large city, it would definitely be London. I am not a fan of NYC (though it was a fun to spend a couple days there last week).

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: July 24 2009, 06:02

Therein lies the difference between the USA and UK.You drove that sort of distance from essentially the bottom half of the country (Glastonbury,Stonehenge,Bath,Avebury-my part of the country)up through Herefordshore and up to Derbyshire.That's a hell of a drive to a UK resident! :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: July 24 2009, 19:33

Well, we did it over the course of many days. :)

I think, too, it may come from living in the Midwest and over three hours from corporate headquarters. Before moving to Missouri, it was inconceivable to me to drive up and back in the same day to places more than 2.5 hours away. But then we moved west and I found myself often driving to meetings 3 or 4 hours away in Illinois and returning in the same day. Now that I am living in upstate NY once more, I think nothing of it. Yesterday I drove up and back to JFK--about 4.5 hours each way. If I hadn't lived in the Midwest, I don't know if I could have done that. I am also given to driving from here to Missouri in one day as the only driver (16 to 17 hours).  If I weren't a librarian, maybe driving a truck would suit me. :)

Wow--Wiltshire etc.--so gorgeous.
It was more challenging for me to drive long distances in the UK. Except for the motorways, most of the roads seemed narrower and it's on a side of the road that I'm not used to. I wasn't ever tempted to drive on the incorrect side of the road, but placing the car within the lane was a bit problematic (I had a propensity for being too far left). The Goddess constantly laughs at me. We were on our way from Buxton to Haddon Hall  and I no sooner said to the kids, "You know, I really have the hang of driving on this side," than a huge curb jutted out in front of me and I curbed the tire. It was pretty-much ok, but I had insurance and the next day (on the way to Kington) had the tire replaced to be on the safe side (a piece of the outer tire was slightly torn). That was actually a very kewl experience. People were so nice at the repair shop. By the time we made it to the Beacon, I was totally exhausted from the day of driving and the repair shop, and Robert the host, a very kind and sweet man, drove us into town for dinner. I could have gotten back down the hill again if I had to, but it was so nice not having to do so. :)

So...are folks going to the Space Movie?? A movie, some beer and cheese, good company....doesn't get much better than that! :)

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: July 24 2009, 19:37

Have to agree about the distance thing. We will argue and whinge over a 2 hour drive but I know Inkanta has driven for 2 days to see some of her family!

Even the europeans think nothing of a 8 hour drive. Us Brits really do have a small town mentality to how far we will go.

The UK is really small, but then again we did sort out half the world many thousands of miles away for a few centuries!  :p

--------------
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: July 25 2009, 13:04

Quote (Inkanta @ July 25 2009, 01:33)
Well, we did it over the course of many days. :)

I think, too, it may come from living in the Midwest and over three hours from corporate headquarters. Before moving to Missouri, it was inconceivable to me to drive up and back in the same day to places more than 2.5 hours away. But then we moved west and I found myself often driving to meetings 3 or 4 hours away in Illinois and returning in the same day. Now that I am living in upstate NY once more, I think nothing of it. Yesterday I drove up and back to JFK--about 4.5 hours each way. If I hadn't lived in the Midwest, I don't know if I could have done that. I am also given to driving from here to Missouri in one day as the only driver (16 to 17 hours).  If I weren't a librarian, maybe driving a truck would suit me. :)

Whoa! That IS more driving than we do here in the Netherlands! ;) Is usually drive about 2 - 3 hours a day (when I have work; I'm freelancing). But compared to the US we life in a post stamp! ;) Agreed OlarcUK, we have to stop whining for long distance driving here too.

But you've got a great car for the highway, Inkanta! Love the tubular bells sticker and the Amarok license plate! ;)

--------------

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: July 25 2009, 18:00

When I was in England for the last time,I did travel a lot by train,and I found it  very hard sometimes to deal with the schedules...once I travelled from Manchester to Southampton,and it took about 5 hours(including various stops)inside a Virgin Train to arrive there.In Germany for example,a trip between Frankfurt and München on ICE(their  super fast train)between the two cities is more than Manchester-Southampton.

I rembember when Yannick was in Frankfurt to attend one of the NNOTP concerts,he drove about 6 hours from his town to Frankfurt...here in Brazil,a 6-hour drive means two things: travelling to another city on your state or a interstate trip,ha ha ha!

If I was living in England,(outside London),I'd travel to watch the film...of course,depending on my budget and means of transportation(plus where to stay or not).

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Mix Offline

Posted: July 26 2009, 16:52

I would travel to this event if I lived in UK and max. about 3-4 hours from the location. I'm a bit of a classic movie buff and it really is something different to experience something on a big screen compared to TV-screen - even if we are talking about B&W films from 1930s-1950s, let alone The Space Movie.

I wish they made this available abroad, too.
Profile PM 
22 replies since July 19 2009, 14:44 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net